The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone shipped a puppy? Good carriers?

I'm getting a puppy (yay). He/she is a 4+ day drive away (not going to happen), so I'm looking at shipping. I can fly down and assuming there aren't already animals on the flight (limit is 2) ship the pup under the seat at 10 weeks old.

NOW, when I say cargo, I am talking climate controlled cargo, not the belly of a passenger plane cargo. I'm specifically looking at Delta's Pets First program with the extra DASH perferred boarding (i.e. you can drop them off only an hour early instead of hours before and staff delivers them counter-to-counter). It's $350 vs. $650 + car rental + hotel + missing work. I'm not trying to be cheap, but this seems like a reasonable service, or am I missing something? I'm looking for feedback. You can ship at 8 weeks, but I don't really have an age I must have the pup by or something. I'd rather wait until he/she is ready.

Anyone air shipped a pup? Thoughts? Carriers to look at? Any other shipping methods to consider?

Neither way is a direct flight. That makes me nervous. The DASH service would only go through airports that are doing the climate controlled pet areas (why Minneapolis doesn't I have no idea because then I could drive for a direct flight) but the travel times for the puppy look about the same.

All that said, I worry about layovers...maybe I'm talking myself into flying down.
    Last edited by TrotTrotPumpkn; May. 13, 2013 at 04:32 PM.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I have had good experiences with Delta.

Not a dog, but there is a dog in the story. Coda, my youngest Siamese, came by Delta, and she had a multi-flight trip. I got delayed slightly getting there - while I knew exactly where the airport was, I hadn't been in a few years, and in the recent remodeling, they had turned it around, i.e. the former entrance street was now the back locked gate, and the new terminal and accompanying lots fronted on another street a mile away. So I had to drive clear around to come at it the other direction.

Anyway, I got there 5 minutes late instead of 15 early, and the plane was to the minute on schedule. The critters (priority unloading) had already been deplaned and brought on a rolling cart to the front desk to be claimed. There were two animals on that flight, my Siamese kitten and a Beagle. Side by side the two crates sat on the rolling cart.

Coda was ticked off and was informing the terminal of this as only a Siamese can do. She was expressing her opinion of the day, the planes, every airport she had been through, takeoffs, landings, and most especially cages. She was perfectly fine, just mad. On the other hand, I became her instant hero by letting her out once we got to the car, and I don't think my bribe I had brought of a can of Fancy Feast was even required to get her to like me.

But while Coda was raising the roof, that Beagle was flopped out taking a nap. Obviously tuning her out, even snoring softly as I could hear when I got through the line right up to them. He clearly had no complaints at all with Delta's service. I wish I'd had my camera to take a picture of the two, side by side.

1 members found this post helpful.

When we went out to pick up my puppy, the breeder said she'd shipped dogs all over with no issues ever. I think she wanted a 300P Verikennel for a 10 week old Ridgeback puppy.

Be advised that we're getting into the part of the year when airlines STOP shipping animals due to heat. You might not have a choice but to go get the dog and have it with you in the cabin. Or drive--blah.

We did bring the puppy back in the cabin in a large sturdibag. She was large for the carrier and could not really stand in it with everything zipped up (she could with one zipper undone to have her head out) but she was fine lying down in it and really traveled well for the 3ish hour flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    When we went out to pick up my puppy, the breeder said she'd shipped dogs all over with no issues ever. I think she wanted a 300P Verikennel for a 10 week old Ridgeback puppy.

Be advised that we're getting into the part of the year when airlines STOP shipping animals due to heat. You might not have a choice but to go get the dog and have it with you in the cabin. Or drive--blah.

We did bring the puppy back in the cabin in a large sturdibag. She was large for the carrier and could not really stand in it with everything zipped up (she could with one zipper undone to have her head out) but she was fine lying down in it and really traveled well for the 3ish hour flight.
    Right, this is a special service for summer shipping. It is different than cargo in the passenger plane. It is climate controlled and the flights can only go through airports that participate in handling the animals appropriately in light of the heat. Hence my vent Minneapolis doesn't (which is suprising to me).

Can we arrange some kind of COTH caravan? What are your start/end points? I'd happily host a puppy for a night or two!

1 members found this post helpful.

I routinely ship 6 to 8 week old baby parrots via Delta. Love their service!

On a crate, Delta will require a metal door and metal fasteners. You can drill new holes and add bolts if the carrier you get has plastic fasteners.

We are also looking at United's PetSafe program, just in case anyone has feedback on that.

Superminion, I think the breeder might be a bit worried about people I met over the internet hauling the pup...not that I don't deeply appreciate the idea and willingness to help!!

Raleigh/Durham to either Sioux Falls, or Omaha is the route.

We are also looking at United's PetSafe program, just in case anyone has feedback on that.

Superminion, I think the breeder might be a bit worried about people I met over the internet hauling the pup...not that I don't deeply appreciate the idea and willingness to help!!

Default Shipping your pup

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post

You may want to put an "other critter" request on traveling horse,,,we run a semi and have quite a few dogs...funny thing my better half is delivering vets cat that was a stowaway on another horse rig,,,went all the way to upper MI,,so now he is on our rig sleeping in the bunk, ripped his cardboard cat box to shreds lol,,,but he will be safe riding in style all the way back to WY!

Default Shipping your pup

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post

You may want to put an "other critter" request on traveling horse,,,we run a semi and have quite a few dogs...funny thing my better half is delivering vets cat that was a stowaway on another horse rig,,,went all the way to upper MI,,so now he is on our rig sleeping in the bunk, ripped his cardboard cat box to shreds lol,,,but he will be safe riding in style all the way back to WY!

Considering United had the responsibility of getting a dog from Newark, NJ to Phoenix, AZ in mid-March and the dog ended up in Ireland, I'd look elsewhere. Here's the story: http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/united...enix-1C8930021

I did work for Delta about 10 years ago and we did have many repeat customers shipping animals through EWR.

So what is your objection to flying round trip and bringing the puppy back under the seat? I brought two 10 week old lab/husky mix puppies to Denver from Chicago in late December a few years ago. The more emotional puppy rode with me in the cabin. It was a snug fit, but she did fine. The other, more laid back puppy flew as cargo and he did just fine too.

TrotTrotPumpkin - Have you given a thought (or three) to United's PetSafe program?

Tell us about your pup.

StG

All I can say is prepare for the best and expect the worst... the only time we shipped a puppy by plane was very trying. We made all the right preps.... breeder drove three plus hours to get the pup to Denver, we made a three hour drive to Orlando; he was put on a Continental non-stop for Orlando... plane had to re-route due to bad weather, then re-route again and grounded in New York overnight due to bad weather and the non-stop flight ended up taking almost two days to get to us. When the plane finally arrived they couldn't find the dog...... two hours later, we finally were able to take him home. Needless to say he traveled home on my lap getting lots of consolation... Never, ever, again.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

I used Delta to get my dog from Syracuse, NY to Frankfurt, Germany. They did a lovely job and he arrived in tip top shape.

A few weeks ago I shipped an Aussie puppy from Calgary to Ottawa using WestJet. Great experience! Would definitely use them again!!
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

While I can and do ship by air, I also use and highly recommend Kati Becker's MoveTheDog service. She and her staff are excellent, the dogs travel in comfort and are monitored every step of the way, and there are no worries about missed flight connections. www.movethedog.net and she's based out of Des Moines. A lot of the field trial folks use her for shipping both adults and puppies.

Gale flew to Ky last week on Delta and is due to return this week. About 40 minutes late due to area thunderstorms, but arrived none the worse for the delay.