The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I need some support here! I can't be the only one....

The only one that does it all. (Well 99.9 percent )

I have 5 horses at my house. Love to look out the window and see them everyday and to be able to ride at home.

But.... Man these horses are finicky! I have heart palpitations thinking of having anyone horse sit if God forbid I ever want to take a vacation!

I wish I had a bunch of been there done that dudes, but I have 1 extremely high maintenance 23 year old tb that was my old show hunter who is awful if any little thing changes in his routine. He will literally have a fit if I move a horse for 5 minutes to get something done. Today he slit his neck open because I moved him to pasture 1 to let mom and baby have a jaunt in the sand arena for 5 minutes. Ugghhh.

Then I have a broodmare with a month old colt, her 5 year and 1 year old sons. Can't put sons out together because its like bumper boats. They play so rough I am afraid they will kill each other!!!

Sometimes I just get a little overwhelmed with the everyday stuff!

Please tell me I am not the only one who is crazy enough to do this all myself!!!

I could write a book with all the stories I have from my crazy horses!!!

Ok complain session over! Wouldn't change my life for the world, but sometimes I would like a few easy days where all the planets were aligned and the horses were all happy at the same time!!!!

I don't think you're crazy! Your life sounds pretty much exactly like mine!

5 here too. Mare with foal, high strung youngsters, a mare with a rep as a "dragon", so I get you! See you're not the only crazy one out there!
    Check us out on Facebook at EVER AFTER FARM

Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Good! Ha ha

Yeah, it's funny because I send my 5 year old to a trainers before shows because my arena isn't huge and no jumps.

It's amazing how much less work it is with 4 versus 5.

I feel bad for him because he is kind of the odd man out now.

Mom is with her baby and my yearling hangs with the old man, so my 5 year old has no one.

I suppose in my situation 5 is a crowd.

I have 11
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Who's counting ????

It is amazing how much less work -1 really is!
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

1 members found this post helpful.

Anytime anyone tells me "I'm getting another horse. It'll be just 1/2 again the work". I

It goes in multiples, not pluses.

Ask me how I know!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I'm an adult living with my parents but my four horses are all my responsibility, although my mother likes and is at least familiar with them. Mine are pretty much easy keepers but one is a headshaker and this time of year is when his tics usually start up.

Totally rude awakening when I came off my greenie two weeks ago resulting in an open, compound fracture of my left leg. Spent several days in the hospital originally with two surgeries and had third surgery today to finish plating and pinning everything. I've had to hire someone to do morning feed and turnout and clean stalls and while I trust this person, it's been very, very hard to turn over "my barn" to others. I'm still looking at 6-8 weeks non-weight-bearing, which seems like forever. I'd give just about anything to be able to stand there and clean a stall! LOL! In the grand scheme of things, I know it'll be OK in the long run but this lack of control and not seeing the daily goings-on is really hard to swallow. I thank god every day for my parents being able to help take care of me and for friends who have stepped up and offered to hold horses for the farrier, etc. Don't know what I'd do without them.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Yep, I've got four, and each horse makes a HUGE difference in the workload!

I feel your pain Samotis. Seven here. This week when three of them broke out in a mad dash for the grass, threw quite the party racing all over neighbors yards, then went running down the STATE road I was ready to send them all packing. Lucky for them there are more good than bad days.

Default I can totally relate to your thoughts...

I have 7 ex-race horses and a partially blind baby draft horse whom I took in last November. I have catered to them and spoiled them all to the point that I don't know who I could pay enough to horse sit. I am in a constant state of making my farm run more efficiently in the hopes that maybe some day I can take a vacation, but I think this is all a pipe dream that just helps to keep me going.
    But like you said, wouldn't trade it for the world.

See, I don't think one more makes a whole lot of difference to me in day to day care
    Mine are pretty low maintenance-low drama though, including the TB, I know I have it lucky