The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Used albions?

I don't have a saddle of my own but I have had the pleasure of riding in different saddle makes and sizes for the last 6 years since I do not own my own horse due to college. Today I rode in an Albion Kontact monoflap and I LOVED it. So far this has been my favorite saddle to ride on over the antares monoflap and a few other brands. I am going to be in the market for my own saddle (very soon!!!) and I would like to purchase one of these. However, it has been hard to find one in my size- 16.5. Do they make them in this size? I have been searching the internet and can't find any used. Can someone tell me where they are all hiding or are they just hard to come by? Should I look overseas for a used one?

This is a UK site, so wouldn't be your first choice... but they do have lots of used Albions.

http://www.saddlesdirect.co.uk/

Good luck!

Yes, they do make them in 16.5 but they tend to retain their value and I just don't think they're out there in the numbers that other brands are in (like Stubbens, etc). It seems like once people become Albion people, they're very devoted to their saddle brand. Good luck in your search.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Ugh that's what I thought. I loved the way I felt riding in it. It's not as cushiony as the French monoflaps but it fits me better and really helps me hold my leg in place-and this saddle was a 17.5"!! I can see why people hold onto them. I heard they last forever as well

There is one on there that's a 17" but I'm not sure if it would e too big. I'm a 16.5" with a forward flap so I think the 17" with a flap that far forward would be too big for me

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    Yes, they do make them in 16.5 but they tend to retain their value and I just don't think they're out there in the numbers that other brands are in (like Stubbens, etc). It seems like once people become Albion people, they're very devoted to their saddle brand. Good luck in your search.
    Yes, yes we Do! Lol, once u ride in an Albion, you don't go back, love love love my k2 jump. Now on the hunt for a dressage one. Good luck in your search.

Another person to contact is equestrian imports. They are a local retailer of used and new albinos and Ann is amazing to work with she maybe able to find one for you. If u do a search on here, I think everyone who meets her loves working with her
    Posted with my Android smartphone.

Try Middleburg Tack Exchange in Virginia. I just recently bought my used Albion there and they had others. They have a current inventory listed on their website.

Okay I will try both of those. thank you! if anyone else has any more info it would be greatly appreciated!

I bought a used Devoucoux from Saddles Direct in the UK with no problems and would not hesitate to buy a saddle from them again. If they have one pop up that will work go for it!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
    Okay I will try both of those. thank you! if anyone else has any more info it would be greatly appreciated!
    You might try Hobson's Choice, they always have many more used dressage than jump, but if I was looking for Albion, they'd be on my contact list
    There are just fewer 16 1/2's out there, so will be harder to find used; you might ask Albion retailers just how many 16's are being sold vs 17's & that will give you an idea just how big the haystack is

Sporthorse saddley often has Albions http://www.sporthorsesaddlery.com/usedsaddles.pdf

http://www.stcroixsaddlery.com/Used_...ddles_s/99.htm

I have bought several saddles from the UK and have never had a problem. The prices for new are often less as well
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Will send you a pm

I bought a used one in Aiken at Oak Manor Saddlery. Just happened to walk in on the right day and scooped it up. Mine is 17" and is perfect though I could also likely fit a 16.5. I thought about selling mine since I don't ride much right now but I got such a screaming deal it would be impossible to replace.

you can call Oak Manor and ask, they will usually keep you in their contact list if one comes in.
    Ready ~ 1999-2009 ~ you were bigger than life!
    Stickers ~ 1985-2011 ~ Cody's BFF
    I miss you both very much!

Another suggestion for Ann at Equestrian Imports. I worked with her long distance to get my Albion SLK dressage saddle. It was custom ordered with a short flap, so I was a little nervous about it. But Ann was wonderful and I couldn't be happier with my saddle!
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I bought my dressage Albion at Pelham Saddlery, and they have a terrific and constantly changing inventory and are great to work with. They will ship just about anywhere and I bet they'd keep an eye out and let you know if what you're looking for comes in to the shop.
    life + horses
    beljoeor.blogspot.com

I lucked out and found a 16.5 Albion at Middleburg Tack Exchange a few years ago. I'll be parting with it in the next few months, so it's good to know there are a lot of people out there looking for them!