The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

You know what makes a great watch dog -a macaw.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

1 members found this post helpful.

Actually my 2 year old son burst through her remote rancher lady door all the time and years later my daughter joined him in bursting through her door at random times.

The GP just had good judgement.

I'm old-fashioned in what I want from a dog I guess. I don't need one to play with in agility classes, I want one to be a dog.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post

Paula
    I do not doubt that! In fact kinda got me thinking we had great watch dogs that were turkeys. Gertrude and Agatha. Someone just didnt want them and gave them to us, ya know we have a farm and all. Well I didnt think much of it till they figured out this was home, then..... You were fine if you stayed in the driveway, but should your foot touch one blade of grass in our lawn, well just look up turkey attacks on utube.
    So yeah, I get the macaw thing, they are most likely smarter than turkeys

2 members found this post helpful.

I have a Boxer. He is all the wonderful Boxer things and also very watchful. There were two times that he felt that he needed to channel his inner Cujo and it was completely warranted. It did, however, shock the heck out of me, I didn't know he had it in him.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I have 6 dogs in my house, four are sweet, kind souls who wouldn't harm a hair on anything. The JRT and the German Shepherd are my pick. Both are very kind and tolerant with kids. The German has the black scary dog look, even though she's sweet and the perfect family dog. The JRT is her watcher. If he sees anything amiss, he sounds the alarm, and she goes to the door with the hair on her back standing up and she watches. She's still young, but I'd be intimidated by her if I didn't know her.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yana.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	38208Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yana2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	38209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jonah.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	38210
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

I'm shocked no one has suggested a Pittie?!? Really?? Good with kids AND intimidation factor? Can't be beat! Boxers, too.

Grew up with a Dobie most of my childhood and yep, remember him just materializing in front of me on more than one occasion when there was something "suspicious" going on. He watched over the whole brood of us.

By far the most intimidating thing to ever roam my property was a 120lb solid-black Newfie thing that showed up on the doorstep as a pup. Nobody messed with him on size alone. His 75lb Akita-mix buddy (also a foundling) was also black, and also not one frequently messed with, although he was a nipper. Seconding all the posters that 99.99999999999% of the time you will not need a dog who is actually going to maul someone, you need the bark/look over the bite.

Have a Border Collie mix and can't imagine why anyone would suggest a full for regular kid-roughhousing adventures...they are just so intense and that desire to occasionally nip is just so hard to completely wipe out.

My Mal, even with tons of socialization, is too intense and protective of his home environment to be trustworthy with regular groups of kids. Outside of the home he is fine, but inside he is uncomfortable even with "regular" strangers...ie, extended family. Nothing dangerous, just kinda lurks in the corner eyeballing everyone up and making people uncomfortable.

The Beagle was useless, he would sell me into slavery for a cookie. The gaggle of terriers and terrier mixes were loud and annoying, and usually nippy.

I would have said that my 45lb Cattle Dog was useless too, as she is a huge lovebug to everyone and every thing that she meets as long as it's breathing, but the other year someone made me feel really uncomfortable (just in a Tractor Supply, not even in a dark scary alley) and she put herself right between us, hackles up.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsymare View Post
    I would vote against a Border Collie. I have one and while he is a wonderful dog they are just too motion sensitive to be good around children. No matter how well you train them if they get into a frenzy they still have that instinct to go for an ankle nip. they tend to not have the kind of patience you see in the larger calmer breeds.
    Everyone has different experiences but I have had three border collies that were and are great with kids. Entertain them all day long with ball games. And we don't have kids of our own but they have or do entertain all that come visit. Current one is a tad obsessed and would rather play ball than snuggle but never ever go for an ankle nip or any other kind. I have a fourth that is extremely shy and avoids kids by staying at least a large distance between them and him, but again not at all aggressive.

None are guard dogs however.

Also have a heeler that is trustworthy with all comers but do feel like he would defend me if he thought I was threatened and I probably wouldn't go in the house with him if we were not home and you were uninvited. But that is completely a hunch not based on any aggressive behavior on his part.

[QUOTE=wendy;6986523]
    I think the idea of a "protection dog" is ridiculous. Unless you specifically train your dog to attack ON COMMAND ONLY, a dog who is willing to attack anyone under its own initiative is extremely dangerous and should worry you tremendously if you own it. Buy an alarm system instead. Guess who is most commonly bitten by dogs? the people who live in the household with the dogs- the children especially.

want you want is a dog that will alert-bark if he senses something odd, but won't actually bite anyone unless put under extreme duress or is commanded to do so (after training, of course).
    QUOTE]

Exactly! Anyone can take out a dog, no matter how big it is. I always consider my dogs my alarm system. Some studies have shown that the would be burglar will avoid home with any dog as they do not want to deal with the noise... To have small children and want a protection dog is asking for trouble, IMO.
    Suggestions of certain mixes are only as good as how the genes fell...Not to mention most people who breed mixes rarely do any type of health testing on the dogs..... be smart and go to a reputable breeder!!!
    We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    I think this is a good point to clarify - are you referring to your own kids coming and going, or lots of your kids friends as well? I'd be really careful about breed selection and training if it is a case of other people's kids in and out all the time.
    With other peoples kids.. its really just my male - he doesnt like people just walking in.
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

[QUOTE=Arizona DQ;6993579]
    Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    I think the idea of a "protection dog" is ridiculous. Unless you specifically train your dog to attack ON COMMAND ONLY, a dog who is willing to attack anyone under its own initiative is extremely dangerous and should worry you tremendously if you own it. Buy an alarm system instead. Guess who is most commonly bitten by dogs? the people who live in the household with the dogs- the children especially.

want you want is a dog that will alert-bark if he senses something odd, but won't actually bite anyone unless put under extreme duress or is commanded to do so (after training, of course).
    QUOTE]

Exactly! Anyone can take out a dog, no matter how big it is. I always consider my dogs my alarm system. Some studies have shown that the would be burglar will avoid home with any dog as they do not want to deal with the noise... To have small children and want a protection dog is asking for trouble, IMO.
    Suggestions of certain mixes are only as good as how the genes fell...Not to mention most people who breed mixes rarely do any type of health testing on the dogs..... be smart and go to a reputable breeder!!!
    My Malinois are trained and have been fabulous dogs.. they have never bitten my children. However there are plenty of dogs that are just naturally protective of their people and I am looking for that more than something that I have trained to be protective.

I dont agee that dogs that are protective are always dangerous.
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

Ooh, Newfie! They're sweethearts, and there's no Big Black Dog bigger than a Newfie!
    Last edited by catzndogz22; May. 24, 2013 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EquineLVR View Post
    With other peoples kids.. its really just my male - he doesnt like people just walking in.
    For what it is worth, I think a lot of dogs that are naturally protective are going to get weird about people just walking in. I have had a number of very good dogs that I wouldn't put in that situation. I know that a lot of people do that all of the time with pet sitters and repair people and friends. Personally, if I liked Mals I would probably just try to have more controlled comings and goings. I understand what you mean about how there is actual protection training and there are breeds that are naturally wary of strangers. I do think, though, that any breed that is wary of strangers might tend to be very intimidating to people just opening the door and walking right in. I don't do protection work with dogs and I wouldn't encourage a dog to try to bite an intruder because I haven't done the training. At the same time, dogs are dogs and many breeds have been bred for hundreds of years to be territorial and to be suspicious of strangers. If you want people to be free to come and go without supervising introductions, then I would look into a breed that is not at all aloof with strangers.

I dont agee that dogs that are protective are always dangerous.
    Hmm. Well, only you can really assess the need for protection v. the risk of the dog biting the wrong person (e.g. your kids' friend). I am not willing to take that risk, especially with children - my own, and all others. If I lived alone, in an isolated area, or at least without children, I might feel differently.

There's a really nice Anatolian Shepherd on the giveaways forum...he's in Philadelphia. I think the collie has been placed, or is in the process of being placed in rescue.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

THIS is true. If not a macaw, whatever my old neighbors had. It sounded like a howler monkey. If I were a criminal, I wouldn't have gotten within 100 yards of that place, the entire neighborhood could hear that thing.

--

I also tend to agree that a well-adjusted dog of any sort will bark and show some protective instincts in the right situation. Our Bichon x Shih-Tzu started barking up a storm one night and my parents woke up to see someone running out of our garage and away. We later learned that he had broken into a non-puffball-protected house and stolen a lot of jewelry/cash. The best guard dog in our neighborhood was a Corgi, it sat at the top of the yard and supervised its two little girls ALL THE TIME. They loved it. Strangers and guests generally weren't fond of it, standoffish, growly...not a dog you could reach down and pet. These little girls also never played WITH the dog. It didn't play. It guarded. Meanwhile, our dog was frequently involved in our stupid ideas and played along gleefully.

It really depends what you mean by "good with kids." The corgi never bit anyone, but it was certainly not a kids' pet. Our dog couldn't be relied upon for personal protection, but she never met a person that she wasn't willing to play with, and the worst thing she ever did was run away from my baby cousin while his back was turned...she was NOT keen on his learning about eyelids by pulling at hers.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

I love Leonbergers! Also second the Newfie suggestion (if you can deal with the coat and drool....same to some extent with the Leos).

Bernese Mt Dogs and Swissies?

I too would go with something gentle with children, not super amped, that would readily tolerate your kids' friends, but would look intimidating.

I third the English Mastiff. Their size intimidates, so they don't have to. There have been many stories of people coming home to find an intruder standing in the corner of the kitchen, with the Mastiff standing guard. No biting, just using it's presence and voice to intimidate and control the intruder. If a Mastiff feels uncomfortable about a certain person, he/she will just position itself between you and him.
    Yes, they do drool and pass gas, although our females are aren't too bad on either count. Our male was another story.
    As with any guard breed, they MUST be well socialized when young.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    Yeah, well, the old lady in an isolated area with the GP probably doesn't worry about her kids' friends bursting through the door unexpectedly, either. It's great that your dog doesn't attack random visitors, but someone who is seeking a dog for the purpose of protection, and being advised on the type of breed most likely to "boil up and ask questions later" might not be so lucky.

Personally, I'll use my shotgun if someone breaks in. The dogs will bark loud enough to wake me.
    THIS is my philosophy. I don't want a dog that bites, or is overly protective. My son had 1/2 his face ripped off by a young German Shepard 'protective of family' dog when he was 2.5 years old. Many thousands of $$$ in medical costs, lawsuits, broken friendships, lost homeowner's insurance (theirs) and the offending dog's death later, I have an 11 year old boy who, while well-adjusted, will wear those scars on his face for the rest of his life.

I have a Mini Schnauzer and a Boxer. Both will bark if someone is at the door, and neither are all that protective. The Boxer loves kids to death, and the Schnauzer is too old to freaking care, he goes and finds a quiet place to take a nap.

If there is a situation that needs to be addressed, the dogs will let me know that something is amiss, and I WILL DECIDE how to handle it with my Big A$$ Gun. Me, with my human intelligence. Not my canines with their canine intelligence.

Yes, I live alone and am a single parent.

*Off Soapbox*

Yes, if I had children, I would want a big sweet calm tolerant dog, who would intimate people because of her size and appearance, who might bark and/or put herself between children and perceived danger. I would be far more afraid of a "protective" dog biting my children's friends, and the resulting lawsuits, than that my big sweet dog would not be sufficiently protective.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    Would you mind posting or PMing me your breeder? I too have a friend with 4 kids under 6 who is looking for the perfect farm/protective/family dog.
    Your friend may have a very hard time finding a reputable breeder who will place a puppy in a home with four kids under the age of six!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry