The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question Best Family and Protection Dog?

What is everyone's thoughts on the best breeds for family dogs and dogs that will protect the family?

I currently have two Malinois's and they are a bit rough for kids coming in and out of the house.. for everything else they are great. However, I am not sure I would get another one at this time while I have kids under 16.

Just curious what folks think..
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

We have a JRTxHeeler who will (and this has been put to the test, unfortunately) willing take out an intruder but will let my 15 month do anything to her. She is my heart dog and I don't know what I'll do without her. Training was a struggle, but once I got with the program and figured out her buttons it was easy. I can bring her ANYWHERE, farm, park, etc. and not ever worry about her.

Other other dog is a GSDxHound of sorts and is the biggest butterball in the world. I've never even heard him growl. He does howl when DH comes home, but it's because he's excited. Love hound howls. My toddler uses him as a step stool onto the couch. *eyeroll*. I grew up with GSDs and that seemed to ring true for all of them, but it also could be how they were raised. Jack is too timid to ever be a threat.

My old BO had two GSDs who were AWESOME farm dogs and great with my kiddo, but she is very strict with them and they went through extensive puppy/training classes to be that good. It was a lot of work on her part, but worth it because she has exactly what you want. One was from a breeder and one was a rescue, I believe.

If I had to put my life it the hands of any of them though, it would be my JRTxHeeler.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

We have a very well-bred GSD and he is perfect.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    We have a very well-bred GSD and he is perfect.
    Would you mind posting or PMing me your breeder? I too have a friend with 4 kids under 6 who is looking for the perfect farm/protective/family dog.

Will do. If he's too far away, he might know one closer to your friend. Just to warn you, they are xpensive. If your friend is used to seeing pups advertised for $500, they might get sticker shock. I did, but our dog is worth it. He was easy to train, wonderful with kids, dogs, cats, and a perfect farm dog.

We also have a spaniel and a setter. Lovely, sweet dogs that are known for being good with kids. We find that the GSD is good with our son but responds to us because he loves having a job, while the setter and the spaniel are our son's playmates. Neither the spaniel or the setter are AKC registered. They are from field dog lines. I recommend either type of bird dog as a perfect playmate for kids. The GSD is AKC registered from working lines.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

Doberman. They were specifically bred for protection.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

1 members found this post helpful.

I love my Rhodesian Ridgeback. She is so gentle and kind with children, even letting my young nephew spray her in the face with a hose despite HATING getting sprayed (we stopped him when we saw what was happening, but even the fact that she was standing there politely while he hosed her down made me adore her 10x more). We now have four nieces and nephews all under 5 years old, and she will sit right in the middle of them and let them dress her up, touch her ears and feet, and she will gently lip a treat out of their hand.

She is also a very good guard dog. She is 80 lbs and all muscle and I feel totally comfortable walking her alone in the woods at dusk. When we come upon a stranger in the woods, the hair on her back goes up as if to say "alert!" but as soon as I tell her it's alright, her tail is wagging, she's smiling, she wants to say hi.

My hubby works a lot of nights and I never worry since she is there. We socialized her to an extreme when she was young and as a result she is tolerant and accepting of many people and situations. She even plays nicely well with my SIL's super obnoxious puggle: http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...122511_007.jpg and lets me dress her up for halloween: http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...LionHunter.jpg

Anyway, I love her

GSD, Dobies, border collie, aussies. Labradors are hit or miss, either they can be great with kids or not, or they can be protective or not. I have always loved the protectiveness of my heelers, mine are great and tolerant with kids, however I don't know about really wee children, but that can go for any dog. Also having a puppy growing up with kids is good, but then you have *another* baby

Collies can be great kid dogs (although they do tend to herd). Are you looking for an alarm dog or one that's intimidating?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I have owned both a GS and a Dobe. They are very trainable, make good family dogs and are naturally protective.

BCs or Labs would be my pick. Be careful with the breeder for either - I prefer "working" line dogs as they tend to be more human orientated. With littlies, I would say Lab - well trained and well disciplined
    Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

Our Blackmouth Curs have been excellent with the family and animals and protective. They are similar to a RR.

I got them after having had a few aussies and border collie types that weren't remotely protective.

And I have the ultimate, a Great Pyrenees that is bonded with the family as well as the animals. I've known GP's that were amazing kid protectors, from falls and water and strangers, but they aren't an easy dog. Neither are the Blackmouth Curs.

Thanks. My buddy is a dog guy who just had to put his perfect Dobie down at 5 due to Wobblers He's looking at already trained GSDs also. He's on the road a lot and really wants a seriously good protector and family dog. I'm rooting for the GSD

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    Will do. If he's too far away, he might know one closer to your friend. Just to warn you, they are xpensive. If your friend is used to seeing pups advertised for $500, they might get sticker shock. I did, but our dog is worth it. He was easy to train, wonderful with kids, dogs, cats, and a perfect farm dog.

I second the Rhodesian Ridgeback. It was their job; take care of the family, hunt with the master, play with the kiddies, eat intruders. Milo was very much that kind of Ridgeback.

Of course you have to train them.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Dobie vote here. Throughout the years and many breeds later, the best I ever owned were Dobies. GSDs are very nice too, but the shedding is why I pick a dobie over them. Irish Wolfhounds are very nice too.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    We have a JRTxHeeler who will (and this has been put to the test, unfortunately) willing take out an intruder but will let my 15 month do anything to her. She is my heart dog and I don't know what I'll do without her. Training was a struggle, but once I got with the program and figured out her buttons it was easy. I can bring her ANYWHERE, farm, park, etc. and not ever worry about her.

If I had to put my life it the hands of any of them though, it would be my JRTxHeeler.
    We have one of those too (JRT X ACD) and she is exactly the same. Best dog I've ever had, but a serious handful, training-wise and very opinionated . She's 16 now and quite arthritic. I never worried at all, when she was younger and my husband was travelling extensively for work and I was alone in the house with baby and 10 year old. She'd been "put to the test" too...let's just say that NO ONE would get in this house around her, unless they had a gun and were willing to shoot her, and able to kill or disable her on the first shot, to get near any of us, yet, she's very tolerant of family members, including kids.

Our younger dog is a BC x something(s)? Guessing one or more of Pit/Lab/Boxer. She's wonderful with all kids and a good watch dog, but no "protection dog". She's smart and alert and alarms, but she's a coward...she let's me know if someone is taking a shortcut through our yard at 2am, but then she runs and hides in the basement and waits for me to check it out .

I think a blue heeler is one of the most protective dogs out there. We call them "truck dogs" b/c everyone leaves one in or on their truck here and no need to lock anything. They love to heel a running kid so they lose points on that-they would have to be really watched for that and to be honest it would probably always be there a little bit! But likewise they would protect the kid to the death... good dogs.

My husband couldn't even tickle the kids around our older Blackmouth Cur, she didn't do anything out of line but she informed him in no uncertain terms that he was traumatizing the kids and she wouldn't stand for it! She was a lot like an American Bulldog but was a registered BMC. B/c of her I'm always intrigued with American Bulldogs. but they look like pits so you run into that breed bias too. Wonderful dogs.

I must have the only heelers with out a protective bone in their bodies. Yes, the will bark but after that their everybody's good friend.
    I bred GSD's and Rotties forever, did lots of police dogs, protection dogs and all of them where fantastic with all kinds of people, kids, animals but when the sh!t hit the fan, nothing was going to stop them. Heck, for that matter my wonderful Great Dane was perhaps one of the best dogs I have ever had. He was fantastic with everybody and everything but, again, if he perceived any thing wrong, he would get in front of me, push me backwards and stand at full height and growl. No one EVER took him up on it to see if he would go any farther but since I actually had done some bite work with him, I knew the answer. Plus, lets face it, when the dog is as tall as that, locking eyes with you and growling, who's ever going past that?!

Quote Originally Posted by EquineLVR View Post
    What is everyone's thoughts on the best breeds for family dogs and dogs that will protect the family?

I currently have two Malinois's and they are a bit rough for kids coming in and out of the house.. for everything else they are great. However, I am not sure I would get another one at this time while I have kids under 16.

Just curious what folks think..
    I think this is a good point to clarify - are you referring to your own kids coming and going, or lots of your kids friends as well? I'd be really careful about breed selection and training if it is a case of other people's kids in and out all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    I think this is a good point to clarify - are you referring to your own kids coming and going, or lots of your kids friends as well? I'd be really careful about breed selection and training if it is a case of other people's kids in and out all the time.
    I agree. Really protective dogs tend to be not all that great with people they don't know going in and out all of the time. Many also will be protective when they see kids rough housing with their friends. I grew up with protective dogs, but I also lived a long ways from most of my friends. The dog was generally confined other than short meet and greets that were controlled, but there weren't people coming and going every day. It might be best to go with something not all that protective for a while, and then back to Mals when the kids get bigger.