The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Stable Cleaner" on 'worst jobs' list.

Most definitely not!
    I find it strangely therapeutic, not to mention a great hangover cure .
    No hugging dear. I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

7 members found this post helpful.

Absolutley NOT the Worst Jobs. I find dog and cat feces way more offensive, despite their smaller size. I prefer to muck stalls to cleaning the litterbox or picking up dog poop any day. If fact I would put cleaning stalls way way down the list of worst jobs....it certainly doesn't deserve to be up to number 15. People who think it's one of the worst jobs just don't get it.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

4 members found this post helpful.

I love my stall-mucking job! It's near-instant gratification. At least, until feed time when they come back in and mess the stall up. But hey, horse poop is job security!
    Alis volat propriis.

I have done some of my best thinking while cleaning stalls. I enjoyed the three years I worked for my former BO.
    Sheilah

6 members found this post helpful.

Some people have thinking time in the shower or driving, I have mine cleaning stalls! It's definitely therapeutic. Not to mention a great workout.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    Absolutley NOT the Worst Jobs. I find dog and cat feces way more offensive, despite their smaller size. I prefer to muck stalls to cleaning the litterbox or picking up dog poop any day.
    I agree. And what the heck is the hang up with people with "health concerns" around manure these days. Does anybody know anybody ever who got sick from horse manure? No? I thought not.

This is a real pet peeve of mine, because "manure and flies" is the excuse for limiting our access to trails and beaches, and even getting building permits. More and more communities are adopting pooper scooper laws for horses on trails, meaning that a rider is supposed to get off and take the manure with them off the trail. It aggravates me no end. What happened back in the day when horses were used for work and for transportation. How many people got sick from manure. None? You got it. Makes me crazy!!!
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

"There are legitimate health concerns that come with handling feces"

I can think of a few:

Weight Loss
    Muscle Building
    Emotional healing
    Meditation time

The list goes on...

14 members found this post helpful.

I would MUCH rather clean horse poop than dog poop. Any day of the week. Yes, therapeutic, good work-out, time for thinking.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kmmoran View Post
    Some people have thinking time in the shower or driving, I have mine cleaning stalls! It's definitely therapeutic. Not to mention a great workout.
    Well... there is a diff between 'therapeutic' and a FULL TIME stall mucker that works at a big stable, off the books, with plumbing free 'housing' in a converted section of the hayloft... Mucking stalls as a JOB is generally a low paying, dusty, non healthful occupation.

Who here has done the muck/mow-weedwack/boot-blanket-turnout type of job where you muck and bed 20, 30, or 40 stalls/day?

(Waves hand and shakes vigorously.)

It is dusty, breaks down your body, requires driving (often poorly maintained) tractors over sketchy ground, and often includes the handling of poorly mannered show horses back and forth from turnout.

Not too mention the 'rule breaking.' Dumping manure all over the property because the farm owner has no long term manure management plan for 100 horses. Burning plastic bags with paper because it's cheaper than paying for a dumpster. Emptying the spreader by hand because farm owner won't repair/can't afford. (Spending too much in stud fees, usually.....) To name just a few things.

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh my gosh, I so don't agree with that list - I LOVE cleaning stalls. I love losing myself in the task - lots of thinking and planning get done. Some of my best ideas and dilemmas have been solved at the end of a pitch fork.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

1 members found this post helpful.

After several years of cleaning stalls as a job, I could probably agree with that list. Currently cleaning stalls, as a job, and I am so burnt out. Also, inhalation of manure dust is not healthy...

I guess it's a "to each their own," I don't think it's a great job but it certainly isn't THAT bad either IMO.

And I've cleaned stalls (among all other barn/farm/horse chores) daily for the past several years, ranging from just a couple stalls a day up to 30+ a day. It certainly is not easy work, and not without wear and tear on the human body, but I still generally enjoy it overall.

I can see both sides on this one. Having done the job every day for an extended period of time it is exhausting and will break down your body rather quickly. On the other hand, now that I only do it for 8 hours a week (along with other stuff) weekly I don't mind it. Some places I have minded doing the stalls and some I have not. I am one that will not clean an occupied stall no matter how well mannered Dobbin is. I'll take the extra time to stash said Dobbin somewhere long enough for me to clean the stall.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

I can't believe meat packing plant/slaughterhouse ( any species) isn't on the list. That would be #1 for me. Stall cleaning is nothing!

I cant believe its on the list either, there is far worse jobs. I went through the rest of the list, and i would discount some of the other ones also.
    The guy that pumps out septec tanks comes to mind. Or the person who
    cleans up crime scenes.
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.

I'm kind of going to agree, but for a totally different set of reasons. I also enjoy cleaning stalls, but I used to work in the horse industry, and stall cleaners are often underpaid, have no benefits or paid time off (and sometimes little or no unpaid time off, either), and (depending on the type of facility) may be subject to the tirades, requests, and complaints of batshit crazy boarders, among other things. Maybe even stuff like rude dangerous horses laid up on stall rest with owners who never taught them any manners and don't beleive in chains or sedation, if you're extra lucky. So IMO, it can be a fairly lousy job, but not because of the poop.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Which is the "worst" job - stall cleaning or house cleaning? Or should I have asked?
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Hercules was a stall cleaner (the Augean stables) and it helped make his name!

Horses are vegetarians, and their manure is relatively inoffensive (even kind of sweet-smelling, like the grass and hay it's made from)compared to omnivores. carnivores (we humans and our dogs and cats--stinky and gross!)--the general public does not know this of course.

I find cleaning my 2 horse's stalls before work to be a very grounding and peaceful experience. But I can sympathize with the posters who did it fulltime for large stables---no longer so peaceful, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayside View Post
    I'm kind of going to agree, but for a totally different set of reasons. I also enjoy cleaning stalls, but I used to work in the horse industry, and stall cleaners are often underpaid, have no benefits or paid time off (and sometimes little or no unpaid time off, either), and (depending on the type of facility) may be subject to the tirades, requests, and complaints of batshit crazy boarders, among other things. Maybe even stuff like rude dangerous horses laid up on stall rest with owners who never taught them any manners and don't beleive in chains or sedation, if you're extra lucky. So IMO, it can be a fairly lousy job, but not because of the poop.
    This. And, I can tell you from personal experience, the damage it does to your body over the long term if you start young and work for adults who are willing to use and abuse you. I am now paying for those teenage years of unloading truckloads of 100# bags of grain when I barely weighed more than that myself, bringing in thousands of 60# bales of hay in the summers, throwing them up over my head from the truck to the hayloft, carrying literally thousands of water buckets - yes, I was wickedly strong and fit but it sure was not good for my joints and tendons. I would not trade any of it but I could see where it could be considered a sentence of sorts if you had no choice and this was your chosen line of work for the long term.