The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Homemade Hoof Stand Ideas

Anyone have any you can share pictures of/instructions for? I am just starting to do my own maintenance between trims (and hopefully moving to doing my own trims before too long), and with 7 horses, I can't hold their feet between my legs for that long (ouch). So I am looking for ideas for a hoof stand. Ideally I'd like a hoof jack, but can't justify the cost right now. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to make.
    Any safe, sturdy ideas?

Right now Aldi's (grocery store) has cast iron umbrella
    stands for less than $20. It is about the right height and
    very sturdy. Not as fancy as a hoofjack, does not offer
    the sling you can rest the leg on, but very affordable.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

I made mine out of an old rolling stool, took the seat off and the wheels off, put a tennis ball over the top.
    It's not very heavy so I have to keep a foot on it to keep it steady, but its easy to store and move.
    Doesn't have a sling so I still have to hold up the feet a fair amount, but I just do the fronts and backs on different days

Can you weld? My husband made both his hoof stand and his "green weinie" stand by welding together old shoes and pipe but you'd have to be able to weld...

I bought one of these. Shipping was cheaper at the time but they are well made, sturdy and very easy to adjust.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Farrier-Hors...9&cmd=ViewItem

haunt ebay for a used one like this (I'm not affiliated with this)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hoofjack-Hor...item1c32a85ede

When I first started trimming I gasped at the price. I thought about noodling around with cheaper solutions, but really the cheap stuff can bend, cut, make horrible sounds if dropped, be dangerous as heck if the horse kicks it over and then steps back down on it, etc.

I just spent the money in the end and I'm so glad I did. After 8 years, its sturdy, safe, virtually indestructible, and there are practically no edges for a horse to damage itself on. Its also light so you can wing it away quickly, and the two giant magnets are so very handy for keeping tools out of the dirt.

Its worth every cent. Good luck.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

My first "stand" was also a cast-iron patio umbrella stand (square is best!). I bought a section of pipe and sliced a tennis ball to go over it, securing it to the pipe with Gorilla Tape. Yeah, it was heavy and cumbersome, but it did the job until I could afford a Hoof Jack.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I had a simple stand made of steel by the local welder (it also doubles as a stall jack for adjusting shoes). It cost me about $60 to have it made, and it has been tossed and leaned on by the best. shoot me an email and I can send you pics and dimensions if you would like. ageonstables@gmail.com