The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Square vs, Hexagonal Studs?

Is one shape "better" than the other? If so, why?

There's no difference. Use whatever ones you like.
    Click here before you buy.

Well, depends on what the top is like, rather than the external shape. For example, many hexes have a point on them - I would use those on the outside when it's grass but not particularly deep with a square block on the inside (no point). Similarly, I would also use a square stud with a point on the top (this is what I think of as a grass tip) outside all the way around on dry short grass, with a blunt stud on the inside. If they both have the same height and point/lack of point on the end and the only difference is the base shape, I've not found it particularly seems to matter, though I confess it sometimes seems easier to get the squares in.

1 members found this post helpful.

Some of the new fangled tools, http://www.equestriancollections.com...FQFp4AodyzMAqA or http://www.advancedequine.com/pop-st...p/800-0517.htm may be one or the other, so you might want to keep all the same. I use a crescent wrench and find I get a better grip and less tendency to "round off" the edges using squares, so I have a slight preference. As far as the external or point shape, what GS said is right on and may depend on the type of footing you face
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Hexes have a lower grip due to the smaller face to counteract the traction forces. Square have more gripping "power" due to the large face. I like hexes as there is a little mores slip in hard ground. Squares are great for sandy/loose footing.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post
    Well, depends on what the top is like, rather than the external shape. For example, many hexes have a point on them - I would use those on the outside when it's grass but not particularly deep with a square block on the inside (no point). Similarly, I would also use a square stud with a point on the top (this is what I think of as a grass tip) outside all the way around on dry short grass, with a blunt stud on the inside. If they both have the same height and point/lack of point on the end and the only difference is the base shape, I've not found it particularly seems to matter, though I confess it sometimes seems easier to get the squares in.

Well said by GotSpots.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    Hexes have a lower grip due to the smaller face to counteract the traction forces. Square have more gripping "power" due to the large face. I like hexes as there is a little mores slip in hard ground. Squares are great for sandy/loose footing.
    ^^^ this was my assumption. I find it a little easier to get the squares in tho.

If I want to reduce the grip of square studs I torque them so that the edge is pointing forward. I do that with turf studs.