The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse eating off the ground

The folks over on the Carriage Horse Cruelty FB page (a group called W.in A.nimal R.ights, which self-affiliates with the ALF - no connection to the electric car/real estate scammer or E. Forel, for those of you following along) posted this photo from their Mothers Day protest:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    Since I have been banned from their page for years lol, I responded to it here:

https://www.facebook.com/carriagehor...f&notif_t=like
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

I can't read their crap. I'm afraid their profound and terminal stupidity might get on me and I'd have to shower for hours to scrub it off.

Seriously. I've never seen such a group of hormone depleted histrionic morons. Their shriveled brains would no doubt fascinate researchers. Scientists could spend years trying to figure out how such profoundly stupid people managed to walk upright.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

20 members found this post helpful.

"You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I love this one..."Stop donating until the horses are freeeee."

To whom are they donating? Again, you can't fix stupid.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

6 members found this post helpful.

I wonder what they'd say about Herself eating every meal off the ground, since shes decided her new rubber feed tub is "terrifying" and she won't eat out of it.

3 members found this post helpful.

It just goes to show just how much they do not know about horses.

5 members found this post helpful.

I suspect the Mustangs still living wild did not get the memo about eating off the ground, which is dirty because it's dirt and home to many critters they might accidentally ingest or their waste? And all those horses knee deep in bluegrass are being terribly abused because the ground they are eating off of is...dirt?

Morons who don't even realize they are hurting legitimate efforts to help horses who really need help.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

9 members found this post helpful.

My horse is an indiscriminate p00per and he doesn't care if he p00ps on his hay - he'll still eat it. And horses eat off the ground All. The. Time. I don't clean out my horse's grain bucket every day either. Bad me. Idiots.
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

2 members found this post helpful.

There was a cartoon in the paper a while back with the old geezer going out to pluck "greens' out of the yard, and the old lady asking just where he got them, was it where the dog usually does his business? Yep, grass is pristine, and dirt in the country isn't really dirty.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Eh, I agree, the group is full of loons - but I would also argue the level of filth, and the type of filth in NYC is different then lets say the plains of Nevada.

But, I would suppose that filth has a greater risk to human health then horse health - being as most diseases do not cross species.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Eh, I agree, the group is full of loons - but I would also argue the level of filth, and the type of filth in NYC is different then lets say the plains of Nevada.

But, I would suppose that filth has a greater risk to human health then horse health - being as most diseases do not cross species.
    Maybe you didn't see my response posted in the second link in the OP?
    That particular gutter is so clean that if I dropped my sandwich, I'd kiss it up to God and eat it

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    ...and at least our gutters don't have poisonous plants and possible anthrax, among other things

I suppose I am abusing my mini, Poquito. He routinely picks up his feed pan, dumps his pellets on the ground and then eats. I've got another mare that paws her feed out of the tub and then eats it. Drives me insane.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I love this one..."Stop donating until the horses are freeeee."
    That was my favorite post I saw (but I do feel the need to take a shower and scrub the stupidity away!).

My horses don't want to be free. They like their maid service, chef, and gardener.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

11 members found this post helpful.

I just had a daydream about spamming their page with hundreds, nay thousands of pictures of horses eating off of the ground.

Oh Anonymous, where AAArrrrrreeee you? (Said in a singsongy voice)

7 members found this post helpful.

You know, I did actually have a vet tell me my horses should not eat off the ground and that I should invest in some of those metal hay racks at several hundred $$ each...of course, it doesn't help that horses tend to insert random body parts in feeders or run into them headlong and damage themselves...

nor is it the natural feeding position with lowered head that helps drain dust from sinuses and prevent heaves...

and it is so much fun scrubbing the gunk and manure off them when the horses back up to them or they pond in the troughs when it rains...

not to mention the pesky detail that they are such fun to haul to different pastures if you decide to rotate your stock...

and oh, they have 2 sides, that means two horses get to eat so that means I should buy how many for 8 horses -who is paying for that??

I did come up with an alternate, but be aware: there are authorities whose knowledge can do serious harm especially to less experienced novice horse owners.
    What teen or young adult won't defer to a veterinarian, even if they do cats instead of horses?

Forgive me, but don't you carry nosebags?

I am assuming this was opportunistic horses vacuuming up the grain put down for pigeons or that some helpful AR nuts dumped the grain in front of the parked horse for a photo OP?

Motor oil isn't likely to kill a horse, but antifreeze is tasty and sure will wreak havoc.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ha! This comment from the page on the pic above:

"Just as a reminder, this forum is for people who are opposed to the carriage horse industry. All of you self proclaimed horse experts, whose expertise is how to exploit and abuse horses are NOT WELCOME here. We will delete your posts and ban you as soon as we see your posts supporting the cruel and abusive carriage horse industry"

"If you disagree with us we will ban and delete you because you are evil and abuse horses and probably kittens too"

Also, I had an equine chiropractor who told me that a lot of chiropractic work could be avoided by simply feeding horses on the ground- or in the case of our very sandy area, in feed tubs on the ground because it encouraged natural eating positions, stretched the back and helped loosen any tensions in the neck and back. Made sense to me.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by D_BaldStockings View Post
    Forgive me, but don't you carry nosebags?

I am assuming this was opportunistic horses vacuuming up the grain put down for pigeons or that some helpful AR nuts dumped the grain in front of the parked horse for a photo OP?

Motor oil isn't likely to kill a horse, but antifreeze is tasty and sure will wreak havoc.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Please read my response provided in the second link in my OP.

Um, I read the entire list of posts there and didn't see a nosebag reference, though you carry grain buckets?

And the gutters are pristine per your post on this thread?
    OK, but I have seen the result of antifreeze poisoning and it doesn't take much is all I am saying.

I have no problem with horses eating from the ground, but I would think twice about combining horse feeding and licking the pavement as some grain-hoovers do with motor vehicle off-put. Roads are crowned, rain runs 'stuff' to the gutters and storm drains.

Most of the time there is no problem, but if there is, I don't want my horse to be poster boy.

I would never trample on your right to do as you choose; simply offering why I choose different.

Quote Originally Posted by michaleenflynn View Post
    That particular gutter is so clean that if I dropped my sandwich, I'd kiss it up to God and eat it
    Eh, I wouldn’t. I am not a “germ phobe” – but I have had good discussions with a dear friend who is an Phd in immunology, add that to the fact I ride public transit in San Francisco every day, and observe the DISGUSTING habits of others on the streets – I wouldn’t eat anything that touched a city sidewalk. With things like drug resistant TB, and herpes that can live on surfaces for quite some time – and watching people spit in gutters. No thanks.

Now if I dropped something at the barn? Or on my porch at home in the "country" - its fair game.

1 members found this post helpful.