The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sentinel feeds -- Good or is there a better brand?

Just checking in on this brand. Need to fatten a hot TB.

And is alfalfa not the smart approach with such a horse -- hot but skinny (does have ample turnout on dry lot)?

I had a great experience with Sentinel, primarily their Performance LS feed. I loved the low sugar, high high fiber (16% I think), decent fat, and decent protein. The main ingredients were soybean hulls, dried beet pulp, and alfalfa if I remember correctly. It is a very light "fluffy" grain, so volume wise it seems like a lot to feed but once chewed it doesn't amount to more than regular grain.

I have heard of another trainer having trouble keeping weight on a horse with this same feed, though. So there are two sides of course. My mare did very very well on plenty of hay all day, 3 quarts of this grain twice a day with just joint supplements, and 1.5 quarts of alfalfa cubes (soaked). I like to think the high fiber helped her digestive system. Her coat also looked fabulous because of the omegas

I have had the best experience with Sentinel Performance LS. I actually posted something about my experience after switching to it: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...84#post6982784

It's a great low starch, high fat, high fiber feed that I feel is more digestible since it's extruded-great for putting weight on, especially the horses that tend to get "hot". I actually am not sure about the sugar content (they advertise it as low sugar), but you can contact the company. (16% NSC, 20% fiber, 12% fat, 12% protein).
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

That's good to hear... have heard mostly nice things about Sentinel,.

kmmoran: alfalfa cubes are less likely to make a horse hot than, say, alfalfa hay?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbay View Post
    That's good to hear... have heard mostly nice things about Sentinel,.

kmmoran: alfalfa cubes are less likely to make a horse hot than, say, alfalfa hay?
    That I am not sure of. I chose cubes for convenience. I can get them bagged from many places, they're easy to store, and I can see the nutritional content right on the bag. That is purely why I chose them over baled alfalfa.

Like others have said go with the Performance LS. My old TB was on it right up until I had to put him down last fall at age 31. He looked great on it - really helped keeping his weight up! Just remember to feed by weight and not volume - it contains extruded nuggets which are rather large. I used to soak my old guys' feed and this stuff became soft in no time at all - he loved his "soup" meals . I contacted the sales rep last summer and was told the NSC was 13 which is good. i prefer to go no higher than that. So yes it is a great feed .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

we had our hard keeping (in winter) pony on Sentinel LS and it definitely helped her gain and keep weight on. We ended up switching barns and going to TC senior, and she's enormous now... (well all that nice rich grass is in). But I had a good experience with the LS and would feed it again.

The only Blue Seal products I would feed are the Sentinal line (the senior and the LS) and their ration balancer Min-A-Vite Lite.

Personally, I think the rest are left in the dust by Triple Crown's products.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Agree with Sucker - look at the specific products rather than a brand in genera. They have a large number of feeds that are just much too high in sugar, but when they are low, it's a good product.

Every brand has good and bad or "bad" products within. What sets some companies apart is the ratio of great/good/eh. TC has many more good and great products overall, but that does not mean a given product of a "lesser" brand can't be the best thing for a given horse.

The Performance LS just became available in my area. We've switched over to it and I'm hoping it helps my 3 OTTB's keep weight on.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell