The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If the pad is really gross and/or hairy I use the vacuum with (I think) the upholstery attachment before tossing them in the wash.

This was probably said, I usually bring a large amount of them to the laundromat, add some powder soap and some of those little soap packs. If I wash them at home I put 3 of those little pod guys in the wash with them with an extra rinse, if the saddle pads have a lot of hair I lint roll them first so the machine doesn't get ruined. Followed by airing dry (baby pads I usually throw in the dryer.) I love my saddle pads Can never have too many!

http://instagram.com/p/XtB6n7DSx_/
    http://instagram.com/p/TM1_XYjSyq/
    (sadly, that's not even all of them!)

I use an underpad baby pad under a fleece pad. It gets rinsed and dried after I ride. When really dirty it goes in the washing machine,soaks with ERA and a powder called "dirty jobs" that a mix of oxygen bleach and various enzymes. Long cycle, two rinses. I buy the "dirty jobs" in WalMart, next to the Oxyclean.

Show pads get a similar treatment. I usually pour the ERA right on the dirtiest parts.

The fleece pads do NOT get this treatment. Just murphy's oil soap, soak, then a regular cycle. Fleece comes out nice and fluffy. They don't get washed very often. The daily working one about once a month or less (remember I have an underpad); the show half pad, much less frequently.

So far, so good.

Murphy's oil soap on fleece?

I don't think I've ever heard that before.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I washed a couple at home once. OMG the hair. never again. Thank you Laundromat!

I only use half the recommended amount of detergent and an extra rinse. I believe my horse got hives once from the detergent. Had to go rinse them all again.

I wash mine after every use, with only a little bit of a "free" detergent. Two at a time go in the top load washer. Hang to dry.

I have a separate clothes bin on the back porch at home where they get stuffed until I'm ready to spend time washing them.

If I am lazy and one isn't too bad, I squirt it off in the wash rack and hang to dry.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

I wash my pads after every ride, except in the middle of the winter when
    my horse doesn't sweat. She sweats a lot and I work her pretty hard.

She gets skin funk unless I keep her and anything that touches her as clean
    as possible.

So anyway - I wash my saddle pads in pairs. I have a super duper sized
    top load washer with an agitator. I have a pile of pads in my garage LOL. Once the
    sweat dries, it's really easy to take them outside and give them a really
    good shake to get the loose hairs off. Then, they go in the wash with Tide and
    a scoop of Oxyclean, and if they are really gross they get baking soda too. I
    soak them for an hour or 2 or until I remember they are soaking LOL ... then
    I run the washer. I also set mine for an extra rinse, to make sure all the detergent
    is out.

I have a clothesline in my basement specifically for saddle pads, with clips on it.
    They get hung by a corner until dry.

And I easily have more than a dozen pads ... I really need to weed out the crappy
    ones. I buy them whenever I can get a good deal.

I have maybe 2 white ones. The rest are colors. The colors hide the stains better,
    but my mare's white hair shows up on them. Oh well.

I have not tried the grooming flower on them, that sounds like a good idea.

12 is a lot? Uh oh!

My building has an ancient, top-load center agitator washer that does a great job washing them. Little Tide, little Oxyclean, hot wash cycle. I've found putting them in the dryer really helps with hair removal, but then again, I live in a condo, so air drying on a line isn't really an option!

The horse is clipped and blanketed in winter, and pads rarely get more than 1-2 uses in the summer, and the mare hates getting dirty anyway, so maybe I'm just not ending up with some of the dirt/grime issues that others encounter. For which I'm grateful, because it's an arm and a leg to do laundry here!

Vacuuming with a vacuum like a Dirt Devil or any kind with a beater brush works better than just using an upholstery attachment. The rotating brush really lifts and scrubs.

Also love the shed flower idea... mine get clean enough in my elderly washing machine, but I still end up with hair embedded in the pad (and in my drain). I think I'm just going to start being the person who shows up at the laundromat with a ton of horse stuff.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

I use the quilted pads, but I'm sure the fleece would work the same:

Soak in water and 20 Mule Team Borax (detergent booster). Launder as usual.