The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

My favorite is ulcers. It is the absolute answer for every behavioral problem, every horse with weight loss, and everything else in-between.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't be addressed when appropriate, but even when an owner states they've already treated and/or ruled out ulcers, they still get bombarded with posts about how they need to treat for ulcers. I've even seen it come up in lameness threads!

6 members found this post helpful.

BAHAHA -- and this is why I keep coming back for the entertainment! Look, there are even nonsensical arguments in a post about nonsensical arguments! I don't know why people get mad (ok, well, I do know why they get mad, head explosions are a dangerous side effect) and quit; it's like free cable only the programming never stops.
    Last edited by wildlifer; May. 13, 2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: grammerz

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    My favorite is ulcers. It is the absolute answer for every behavioral problem, every horse with weight loss, and everything else in-between.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't be addressed when appropriate, but even when an owner states they've already treated and/or ruled out ulcers, they still get bombarded with posts about how they need to treat for ulcers. I've even seen it come up in lameness threads!
    omg, this. Every single illness or injury thread, there's guaranteed to be at least one banging the ulcer/Lyme drum.
    I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.

The politics threads are awful - people are so condescending and just plain mean and full of vitrol. Talking down their noses at others, about others, etc. Even though I don't post a ton, I've been an avid reader for a long time and really used to enjoy all the conversations. Not now, though. I've actually finally used my "block user" tool and finally the board is enjoyable again. That's sad to me.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

I've never blocked a user. Lol I kind of like watching them make a donkey butt of themselves. Lol
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

12 members found this post helpful.

Oh and yes the ulcer thing. Question though what the heck is pop rocks and do they have to be blue? The only pop rocks i know is the candy and I'm thinking it's not the same thing lol.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    I've never blocked a user. Lol I kind of like watching them make a donkey butt of themselves. Lol
    Me too.

We don't fight all the time. You have to remember that a lot of people have posted for years on Coth. So sometimes people point out their previous posts which are in conflict. When I joined Coth, an "old timer" who'd been on here since 2004 or 2005 pointed me to a lot of threads which educated me. Not to mention pointing me to other forums where the same people posted. Also, some of us know other Cothers IRL. And while some are terrific people, some are not what they portray themselves like on Coth. Cyperspace is somewhere where people can appear to be what they are not.

So if you are new, you should try to go back and read some of the threads that are in the favorites section. And check out some of the other old threads, although not as many are around now as there were when I joined.

So there are reasons that people argue and fight. Both personal and philosophical reasons. Oh and check out the off topic days! That should give you nightmares.

ETA My horses have never had ulcers or Lyme, but I do read some of those threads because I know never to say never. (And I'm the same IRL as I am on Coth.) And I'm "for" sex and against slaughter. And I had to become a hoof expert due to a horse purchase about 12 yrs ago!

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    Question though what the heck is pop rocks and do they have to be blue? The only pop rocks i know is the candy and I'm thinking it's not the same thing lol.
    It's a generic omeprazole formulation made in India that has been popular on the board. I don't personally advocate it due to lack of QA/QC and I like to know when I spend my money, I'm actually getting something instead of packets which, in aftermarket testing, may contain zilch. To each their own -- I suppose you'd have to try pretty hard to kill your horse with omeprazole!

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    It's a generic omeprazole formulation made in India that has been popular on the board. I don't personally advocate it due to lack of QA/QC and I like to know when I spend my money, I'm actually getting something instead of packets which, in aftermarket testing, may contain zilch. To each their own -- I suppose you'd have to try pretty hard to kill your horse with omeprazole!
    This just made my day. Since the 'search' function is now a bit whacked - I couldn't justify trying to figure out pop rocks and all the fuss. Thank you Wildlifer, a scientist after my own heart!

OP - Welcome to COTH! Thread title reminds me of "spoiling for a fight" - which can always be found here! Unless you take the high road. Lol.

Thanks for the answer because I tried googling and all it wants to do is send me back to coth for the answers. Lol. Could not even get an answer on googling where to buy pop rocks for horses. Guessing that's not the real name of the drug just the nick name lol. Thanks for the help.

http://dressagewannabes.blogspot.com...m-vanuatu.html

There's a link that has pictures.

(for the record, I googled "pop rocks horse ulcers" to find it. )
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2shoes View Post
    Almost all the threads I've read or posted in have turned into a goofy fight with forum members arguing really pointless things. Does this really happen so much or am I just getting involved in "special" threads? Like if you're looking for an argument and want to hide behind a screen name I guess this is a great place for it. If you aren't looking for a fight, maybe attempting to phrase things in a non threatening and judgemental manner would be helpful. Can't we all just get along?
    Pretty amusing coming from someone who started a thread entitled "Looking for a fight."

13 members found this post helpful.

COTH can be a mine of info, and yes before posting a question do a search otherwise those "well intentioned people" will jump at you for asking something that's already been discussed.

I remember years ago, I posted on the dressage forum about Gogue or Chambon ( I forget) and I had a member PM me his/her opinion, telling me I would be torn apart on the forum asking this kind of question (I was not, but after being on COTH for a while I understand his/her concern!)

Some Resident Experts love to impart their wisdom. Some do it tactfully, others can be snarky about it. Those, I just ignore. It's a good test of my self control, too, lol.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    Pretty amusing coming from someone who started a thread entitled "Looking for a fight."
    I was waiting for someone to point that out This has been an entertaining and educational thread thanks to all for the muti point of view posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2shoes View Post
    I was waiting for someone to point that out This has been an entertaining and educational thread thanks to all for the muti point of view posts.
    You are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemooncowgirl View Post
    Here are the topics most likely to cause a train wreck, in no particular order:

-fat chicks in breeches
    -skinny chicks, especially in demin breeches "striking a pose"
    -Parelli and other natural horsemanship "gurus"
    -women with kids
    -women without kids
    -dogs
    -dogs at the barn/showground/park not on a leash
    -not owning dogs
    -barefooted horses
    -shod horses
    -shod on front horses
    -religion
    -marriage, gay and otherwise
    -slaughter
    -Amish horses
    -carriage horses

I'm sure others can (and will) add to the list.

Welcome to COTH. One question, 10,000 opinions.... and maybe 10 are correct.
    How can you leave off Slaughter and Rollkur??
    Two biggies!
    Welcome to COTH it is important to be like a duck and let it all roll off!
    There are some really great people on here however and some really good horseman with years of experience! Some vets, Farriers Judges, you name it.
    Enjoy!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    How can you leave off Slaughter and Rollkur??
    Two biggies!
    Welcome to COTH it is important to be like a duck and let it all roll off!
    There are some really great people on here however and some really good horseman with years of experience! Some vets, Farriers Judges, you name it.
    Enjoy!
    Tack nosebands
    Helmets
    Totilas
    Sjef

Just sayin'!
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Enjoy!
    And complete POSERS who are not vets, judges, or even horse owners - yet say they are. One gets outed every few months. Take everything with a grain of salt!

5 members found this post helpful.

2 more fighting words: Western Dressage. Make that 4 words: Gaited Dressage.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

3 members found this post helpful.