The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why is my horse's tail like this?

His tail sits on top of his butt.. Almost like someone broke it. Most horses tail sit into their butt, but his is like a fountain.. His bones and everything are up like that.. I've always wondered but I thought I would ask... He's an imported selle francais....

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psdb1166c2.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...2/IMG_0289.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps3cde1463.jpg

Anyone else ever seen a tail like this?

Its just the way he's built... I've seen one other horse with a tail like that once. Apart from not being accepted as a stallion, he was fine and had a wonderful career.

A tail that is set high onto the croup is a breed characteristic of some breeds, including Arabians, Saddlebreds and maybe is a Selle Francais trait too?
    Last edited by sdlbredfan; May. 18, 2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: typo
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

I think she's talking more about the little "bump up" as opposed to where it comes out. No, it's not very common but I do think I've seen it once or twice before.

Does it EVER lay flat in that little nook? Ever had a chiro look at him? It would be worth investigating from that perspective, just in case it really does have a little kink in it.

Is there any way he ever was a driving horse? I only ask because in Morgans particularly they use a tail set bussle that is huge so that the tail never quite lies flat and looks just like that. But typically once they are out of the bussle for a while it goes right back unless they have had the tendons cut. You can tell if they've been cut because you can lift the horses tail right back over their back and the horse can't clamp the tail down.

1 members found this post helpful.

Does he pull it flat when he is scared or scooting away from say the thermometer?
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

To answer the questions,

His tail cannot physically be tucked in. That "bump" you're seeing is part of his tail, it's not him holding it up. If you push on it, it's not going anywhere. It isn't possible for it to be pulled flat.

Thanks for the responses thus far!! In the 10+ years I've known this horse, it has always been that way, so it's definitely a conformation thing

Just because it's been this way for 10 years doesn't automatically mean it's a conformation thing.

It may well have been damaged as a young horse and it's just always going to be this way. It could be something that can be fixed - and make the horse more comfortable - by a chiro. It IS something I, personally, would have investigated for my own sake

I don't know what y'all are seeing.
    Just looks like a high set tail to me.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

6 members found this post helpful.

pj the tail has that "hump" right at the dock, similar to how it lifts up once most horses start to move. The difference is this horse apparently never lays the tail flat. This isn't about where the tail joins the body, it's about how the tail looks where it joins the body.

Most horses, at a standstill and relaxed, have the tail laying down, flat against the butt.

Relaxed tail laying down
    Held up and out with movement

And here's a horse whose tail is set on high, but does not have that hump that the OP's horse has
    http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx150/Kayest/FWF.jpg

I see...Thanks.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

My first thought would be breed characteristic - for example, some sport horse breeds in europe were derived from carriage horses (driving) and they may have bred for that kind of tail set. I would look into your Selle Francais breed standards and look at european SF horses to see if it is a characteristic.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixrises View Post
    Is there any way he ever was a driving horse? I only ask because in Morgans particularly they use a tail set bussle that is huge so that the tail never quite lies flat and looks just like that. But typically once they are out of the bussle for a while it goes right back unless they have had the tendons cut. You can tell if they've been cut because you can lift the horses tail right back over their back and the horse can't clamp the tail down.
    Yeah, is there any chance he was ever a driving horse and lived in a tail set?
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

It could be genetics, it could be an injury. If it is a functional fly chasing tail, I wouldn't be concerned. It is not unattractive.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

3 members found this post helpful.

Does he have normal range of movement in the tail?

Can he swish flies?

He is very lovely. Very selle francais looking. Wow. Lovely.

Ask a chiro to check it out. You could xray it also if it bothers you. I see nothing odd.

What a pretty horse.

The old guy had a set tail in his youth, and to do that they cut some ligaments so his tail is always high, but not quite like that, the section is about eight inches long instead of two or three and it will lay flat if you carefully press on it. I don't know if he has any pain from it but his "swish" is more like the wag of a docked tail, little short movements that don't work too well. I wouldn't worry too much as long as his tail has full range of motion and he seems comfortable.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll ask the vet about it next time he's out... It'd be interesting to know if he was used as a driving horse in France.. I believe he was imported when he was around 5.

It is funny, the bump is very noticeable in person, but when he's working, you can't tell at all. You'd definitely not be able to push it down though.. I feel like I would break his tail if I tried..

When he's cantering:
    http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psedce2403.jpg

Jumping:
    http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/Dragonfan2/4.jpg

Next to another horse for comparison:
    http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...2/IMG_0290.jpg

And he says thanks for the help!
    http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...onfan2/gh6.jpg

Nearly every horse, save those who have had their tails nerved will have a tail that looks like his in motion, because that's just what they do

He really is a very nice boy!