The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Braiding questions

I show horses on the Morgan and ASB circuit and we do some open breed shows as well. Some of the horses we pull manes but others we leave long based on the owners' preferences.

My question is, does anyone have hints for keeping French Braids from loosening up in over fence classes?

Next question, how would you rate these tail braids? Good or bad?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Last edited by Amwrider; May. 13, 2013 at 12:56 AM.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

The link says content currently unavailable.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

fixed the links (I think)
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Tail braids are marginal. They need to be consistantly tight all the way to the bottom and the braid needs to be staight. The horse with the flaxen tail is a little better than the chestnut. You need to learn how to finish the braid at the bottom. I like a snail, but I understand that they are not really in fashion.

2 members found this post helpful.

I agree with fourmares.
    Here are a couple google images of good braids. See how straight they are, and how the braid stays uniform (it doesn't get bigger as it goes). You need to learn how to 'drop' hair as you go to keep the braid the same size.
    http://d3qjtatx7zcluc.cloudfront.net...d-tail.-PH.jpg
    http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/f1iUbV1zG5I/hqdefault.jpg

You're started down the right path... I start with a pretty damp tail, pull smaller pieces, and work on keeping the braid straighter and tighter (pulling smaller pieces will help you). It'll also, obviously, keep the braid at the end smaller and tighter. Like your fingers should hurt like all get out at the end.

This is where I'm going to be no help, but you've got to lose the rubber bands and learn to do a pinwheel, which I can't even begin to describe here. At the very least, be able to pull the finished braid back up through the braid, similar to a mane hunter braid, but without making a bump, to create a smooth finish. Yarn is your friend. Rubber bands are not.

Maybe a braider here will post their work? Maybe go to a show & get an nonchalant first hand look? I don't know how many pictures published with articles on here will be from a back angle - try searching hunter derbies or finals and see what kind of picture galleries come back?
    Last edited by Lucy17; May. 13, 2013 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Can't spell to save my life & I'm sure there's still typos, but screw it. It's 1:40am.

Someone showed me to tie little pieces of (same color) yarn along thick french braid to keep it in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...rj3BbPs#t=366s

Don't pull that Morgan mane!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Hippolyta, that video is fantastic! I have tried sewing it with yarn which helps a bit on flat classes but not over fences, but I think this might do the trick! One of the Morgans we show over fences has a mane just like that horse in the video.

As far as the tail braids, I have tried dropping hair as I go down the tail but cannot keep the braid tight in the spot where I drop hair and usually end up having to bobby pin that section.

I will try yarn next time, thanks!
    Bernard M. Baruch

For even tighter hold on those french braids, switch to Wax-Coated Upholsterer's Thread. It blends with hair so much better than yarn, doesn't stretch like yarn and the wax-coating helps with hold. A little Dippity Do doesn't hurt either
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I would do your french braid in the 4 strand style, it will stay along the crest the entire way down. There's a tutorial on my blog and if you look at my recent photos you can see what the braid looks like after a few rounds over fences.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I would do your french braid in the 4 strand style, it will stay along the crest the entire way down. There's a tutorial on my blog and if you look at my recent photos you can see what the braid looks like after a few rounds over fences.
    Ooooooo! I think it looks so much nicer on the crest & I always try to get it to be like that. I will try this.