The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default Anyone shown recently at South Branch Farm/Hunt Cap Horse Shows/YCDS?

I haven't been to this facility in nearly 10 years and am considering going next weekend. Can anyone give me an idea of how the show has gone in the past few years? Number of entries per division? What's the schooling ring/area like? I remember a long day with big entries, and two rings on grass plus the outside course- is that still the case for the rings? I had a lot of fun showing there as a junior* but want to make sure it will be a good venue for my guy now that he's older.

*except for the time I went headfirst into a coop on the outside course and got a concussion. They make their fences nice and sturdy. Lots of good memories from this show; that wasn't one of them!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Question

Was this show in NJ?? Hunt Cap Farms that I know is in Three Bridges NJ. Hasn't had show in years.

No, this is the South Branch Farms that hosts the Hunt Cap series out of PA. I saw the prize list the other day and they are still well in business!
    - Harry Dresden

I heard they were starting again this year! They haven't held them the last few years, so I wouldn't know what to expect in terms of how many people would attend. I remember them as casual schooling shows with maybe about 8 riders per class on average. That is what the rings were like the last time I was there, but again, they haven't run shows for a few years. If you do attend, good luck!

They have had the shows going forever! I have been the past 3 years. Last year schooling was horrendous and we left in the dark but the show is so much fun we did not really care. They still have the outside x-country like course, the little grass ring and the regular ring. I will be there this weekend!
    "People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right!"
    - quoted by Martha Drum

Wishful, when you say schooling was horrendous, can you elaborate? PM me if you like; footing is my main concern. I'm not at all worried about schooling breaks. We don't use them.

I agree, the outside course is a huge attraction! Sadly not in the cards for T this year. I have a soft spot for YCDS. It's the first show I ever did with my guy. At the time he was an 11 year old who thought he was 4. He had evented fairly recently and he took off with me on the outside course. He's had some foot tenderness this last year so I want a better handle on that before I pick up a working pace on turf I don't know well. Maybe next year.

(I'm really talking myself into going here- it started as "ooh, Linda Andrisani is judging" and now I have all these other reasons!)
    - Harry Dresden

haha if you aren't using the schooling breaks then no worries I had no issues with the footing as well and yes I had the same reaction to who is judging!
    - quoted by Martha Drum

We've done the YCDS show the past 2 years and did the last Hunt Cap show a few years back....seemed like most of the other area hunter shows we attend. Kid divisions were very full, good turnout the rest of the way around. The downside was the parking field filled and they parked all of us later-comers in the field on top of the hill on the other side of the driveway.... quite a hike up a very steep hill every time you needed to get something in the trailer.

Thanks for the input. Schooling breaks can be tough to manage well. I well remember the hike up the hill- the barn I rode with as a kid used a commercial shipper with a 6-horse air ride, and every time we came to the show, it had just rained and he was always worried about getting back up the hill, so we always parked forever away from the rings! I thought I might throw my bike in the trailer, too.

Now the weather report just needs to be wrong.
    - Harry Dresden

Its been raining here so I bet the footing will be lovely. They are also really good at bringing in the water truck as needed.

I always thought schooling was one of the best things they had going for it? I mean, they let you school all over the X/C course and even if you get there and classes are running on it, there is plenty of room to find a nice spot.

I know they are not doing the Wed. schooling shows anymore but the YCDS show continues to run and bring in alot of entries. Its well-attended, and can be competitive (depending on what barns show up).

Its so close to my home base, I went every year for several years. and for several years my horse acted like a looney. Not sure what it is there, but now I just go to watch. I think some of it is it runs so slowly. Im an eventer, I can be in and out in hours. Im spoiled and just cant do the stand around and wait wait wait.

Quote Originally Posted by OAK View Post
    Was this show in NJ?? Hunt Cap Farms that I know is in Three Bridges NJ. Hasn't had show in years.
    Is that farm still around? I was there once in the late 60s and have always wondered what happened to it.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperAlter View Post
    I know they are not doing the Wed. schooling shows anymore but the YCDS show continues to run and bring in alot of entries. Its well-attended, and can be competitive (depending on what barns show up).
    They actually are running two Wed. shows for the first time in years - July 24 and August 7

Quote Originally Posted by SuperAlter View Post
    I think some of it is it runs so slowly. Im an eventer, I can be in and out in hours. Im spoiled and just cant do the stand around and wait wait wait.
    Is that runs slowly in comparison to eventing, or there's a lot of time with a dead ring because the ring isn't being managed well and/or exhibitors are not coming to the gate?
    - Harry Dresden

Hunt Cap Farm in NJ is still there. Doesn't have anymore shows . Someone does rent the barns show there are still horses there.

If you want to look at class sizes look at horseshowing.com. It seems like most of the divisions are going to be larger than normal, except for the outside course in which they are much smaller than normal.
    - quoted by Martha Drum

Quote Originally Posted by wishfulthinking711 View Post
    If you want to look at class sizes look at horseshowing.com. It seems like most of the divisions are going to be larger than normal, except for the outside course in which they are much smaller than normal.
    It looked like very healthy numbers tomorrow! I'm happy for the horse show.

Not sure I'll be making it up there- for various reasons, not sure it's going to work out. But I'll definitely be putting this one back on the calendar for next year!
    - Harry Dresden

1 members found this post helpful.