The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Treadstone Gran Torino, Tredtep DaVinci, or Donatello

Looking for a new pair of tall boots to just show in. I already have a pair of MH Venice to muck around in, and I like them OK. I'm looking at the Treadston Grand Torino, Tredstep Donatello, and Tredstep DaVinci. My budget cannot accomodate anything else. I'm particularly concerned about the footbed fit. HELP!

ALSO if you have anything the share about the MH Richmonds that would be great!

I got the Donatellos a few months back and quite like them. I think my feet are a pretty average width and the foot is very comfortable. My toes don't feel like they're being squished at all. I will say that the zipper does rub my ankle, atleast on one foot, if I don't wear thickish socks. I thought they were super comfortable to ride in from the first ride. I know of another girl in my barn who has another style my Tredstep (maybe the DaVincis) who was reportedly having such a bad time breaking them in she went out and bought a different pair to school in. Not sure if she bought the wrong size or what because those boots are supposed to have pre-stretched ankles.

I have the Davincis which I love but needed to get equigel ankle wraps since the narrow ankleon the boot rubbed me badly. Otherwise, super nice boots and the foot is extremely comfortable!

I have the Gran Torinos. Nary a rub or sore spot, leather is supply, zippers are hardly. However, they are NOT walking boots. I had a horse wig out on a trail ride the second or third time I wore them, and wound up walking her about a half mile or more along a roadway...zero support. My feet slid off the foot bed easily from side to side, especially to the outside. Might just be my style of walking?? Otherwise, very nice, and comfy in the saddle. I liked that it had lots of options for size + width + height.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I just got new Da Vinci's and I love them! They're def not a walking boot but when I'm riding they're comfy, I think they run a touch large but thats good for me because I have to put my own insoles in every boot I own.
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

What about the Mountain Horse Supreme? I just retired my pair after nearly four years (riding in them almost every day!) and they are incredibly comfortable.

I can't speak for the Tredstep's but I have the Gran Torino's and for the money really like them, and I've gotten lots of compliments on them. The leather is nice quality for the price point and unlike my old Ariat's they were very easy to break in. I've never walked super far in them but mine are definitely comfortable enough to walk around the horse shows in!

I have the Donatellos. The footsbeds are nice but beware they drop A LOT in the ankle. When I bought them they were rubbing behind my knee because they were so tall, then when they broke in they dropped like three inches. Now i look like a little pony kid in the show ring because they are so short lol. I must say I bought gel inserts because they stretched so much my heel started coming up when i put my leg on. wouldnt recommend them.

Treadstones don't appear to wear well, from what I've seen. I've heard great things about the Tredsteps, and tried on the lower-priced ones; really liked the leather. I have Mountain Horse Supreme SCS3 and love them, though they do rub on my left achilles tendon when off the horse. Weirdly, they are perfect on my right leg. They look custom, per my very, very picky eq trainer.

Gran Torinos are am amazing boot for the price. I was super impressed with the quality and fit of mine. Not the best for walking around in all day though.

1 members found this post helpful.

I purchased the Donatellos last fall and had the same problem mentioned by previous posters. They were okay to ride in but between the horse and the ring they were terrible! The zippers rubbed my achille's tendon RAW! I ended up getting rid of them and bought a pair of Middleburg field boots from Dover for $200... best $200 I ever spent! High quality leather, feel like riding in half chaps! In fact I am bad about even wearing my paddock boots and half chaps to school in now, I tend to grab my tall boots instead. In fact, on a weekend day I usually end up running all of my errands in these (like going to the grocery store) after the barn. All of the features of the Donatello at a fraction of the cost and in my opinion softer leather and a better foot bed. My only advice is that the foot bed runs about 1/2 size large. COTH gave me that same advice prior to purchase and I bought my regular size and a 1/2 size down to be safe, ended up going with the 1/2 size down.