The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Places to look for 4-5 year old dressage prospects on a budget

Anyone know where some good places to look for high quality young dressage horses on a budget? Ride is advanced amateur who has brought along her own horse and shown FEI. Works with a trainer. Budget up to $25K. Also posting in the breeding forum.

Thanks for any input!

PS - hopefully not breaking any rules. The rider is not me - it's a friend who is fed up with ads on your typical online sites. Thinks she can get more for her money in Europe even after import. Trying to help her stay in the U.S./Canada.

Tell her/them to think outside the TB/WB box. American Saddlebreds are available that can not only do the job, but excel, for definitely within that budget. What part of the country is the friend in?
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Sent you a PM.

When you say high quality what do you mean? How competative does she want to be and what are her goals?
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Does she want this 4/5 year old to be started and at an appropriate training level for upper level dressage plus good mover with likely high scores? That could be tough.

One suggestion I might have is asking around at breeders who are downsizing about broodmares in that age range who are well enough bred/good enough movers that they were bred young. I don't think anyone who knows what they have will have a top youngster who is started and going 1st or 2nd level at least in schooling (depending on age/that individual's philosophy) for that low a price.

Just my experience, but I found unstarted 2/3 year olds to be a much larger bargain - and less advertised because breeders know they're worth more once started.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

2 members found this post helpful.

Try http://sylvanfarmauction.com/. The auction starts on June 1st but you can go and inspect their horses the day before. Something to try and test for yourself. I want to do it myself but my budget is holding me back. My luck isn't with me this time... Maybe for you...who knows

1 members found this post helpful.

I would suggest that you go to the FB page of the Sunshine Sporthorse Association. There are several excellent breeders of well-bred dressage horses all located in NorthCentral Florida who are "aging out" of breeding and looking to reduce the number of horses that they have. Not just mares, but also geldings and younger, started and unstarted horses.

PS- We do not breed dressage horses so this is in no way an ad for ourselves! However, should you contact the breeders listed on their page, I would ask that you mention who sent you!
    Last edited by Sakura Hill Farm; May. 13, 2013 at 09:52 AM.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Quote Originally Posted by xrmn002 View Post
    Anyone know where some good places to look for high quality young dressage horses on a budget? Ride is advanced amateur who has brought along her own horse and shown FEI. Works with a trainer. Budget up to $25K. Also posting in the breeding forum.

Thanks for any input!
    Your friend may need to get off the beaten path, but there are many quality prospects out there.

I think that your friend could contact the Mid-Atlantic Hanoverian Breeders group through Pat Limage of Bae Prid Farm as the organization represents Hanoverian sport horse breeding farms from Georgia through Pennsylvania and Pat can list your specs in an ad to all of these breeders who can identify individuals within your price range and age bracket. This usually leads to the buyer making a tour of farms who have a good candidate, or even gathering the prospective young horses in one or two viewing/trying venues. This has worked for the group many times and generally results in a very happy buyer/seller. (To COTH: I actually do not have a candidate fitting the bill just now.)

Diane Halpin/Laurel Leaf Hanoverians: Facebook

Facebook has a number of pages dedicated to dressage prospect sales: "Hanoverian Horses for Sale", "Oldenburg (GOV only) Horses for Sale", "Warmbloods for Sale", "Sport Horses for Sale", and others, but that's a good start. Many of us breeders use these pages.
    Last edited by dianehalpin; May. 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: adding information

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm a breeder and work with a trainer just North of Toronto Canada. Between the two of us there are usually several young correctly started prospectsthat fit that description. Go to You Tube and look for VandenBrink Warmbloods and Nobleton Dressage.

Sent you a pm
    http://www.rollingstonefarm.com
    Large Oldenburg and Hanoverian breeding farm
    Standing Shakespeare RSF, Fhitzgerald, Sir James and the homebred stallion Dheputy.

Thank you everyone! I passed the info from this post and pm's along. My friend is looking for a competitive GP prospect. She just retired a horse that was showing I-1 and schooling GP. I think she may need to keep saving based on what she is looking for but have many promising places to look. Thank you!

I think it is certainly possible to find what you are looking for if you are willing to look at green broke and unbroke young horses. You also have to consider that there are quite a few very nice started prospects that are potientially not represented in their best light. sending your young horses to the best training barns substantially ads to the costs involved. So, you may not find one that she show ring ready/perfect but has had a solid start and perhaps a bit more nontraditional such as spending a lot of its first rides out on hacks. Best of luck!

Eowyn Brewer
    www.serendipitysporthorses.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Post a free wanted ad at www.isoequine.com and see what bites you get!
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

You might consider contacting Cheryl Meisner at Lobster Point Farm, in Nova Scotia. She has a young mare (4 or 5, not sure) very nicely started. The young mare is by her KWPN stallion Paginini who she competes in Grand Prix. Blood line of sire.. Paginini x Havidoff. Dam line...Inspekteur x Variant. I own a full sibling who is not quite a year old. My filly is smart, sensitive with very nice conformation. Correct. The mare I am referring to was shown this year in Wellington and won some nice ribbons. First time out.

If she will buy a mare, I would contact Rolling Stone Farm. She has a few mares just started under saddle that are amazing.

Also contact Marydell Farm, she has certainly sold some nice youngsters in that price range.

I think it's totally reasonable to be able to buy a nice 3-4 year old for around 25k, but then again I am a mare fan and they tend to be much cheaper as greenies.

Cheryl Meisner of Lobster Point Farm, Chester, Nova Scotia competes the KWPN Crown stallion Paginini at Grand Prix level. She has a five year old mare by him out of an Inspekteur x Variant mare who is well started. Her name is Dolce. Good ribbons first time out at shows in Wellington. Under 30K.

I own her full sister. Sweet, smart, sensitive and well constructed filly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UopwJnNl8VM

Quote Originally Posted by Hocus Focus View Post
    Under 30K.
    ad lists 30K
    I won't include the link as this thread is a bit too buy & sell oriented

ETA unfortunately the accompanying video is set to private
    nice photos