The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Good places to look for sales of 4-5 year olds

Anyone know where some good places to look for high quality young horses on a budget? Ride is advanced amateur who has brought along her own horse and shown FEI. Works with a trainer. Budget up to $25K. Also posting in the breeding forum.

Thanks for any input!

PS - hopefully not breaking any rules. The rider is not me - it's a friend who is fed up with ads on your typical online sites. Thinks she can get more for her money in Europe even after import. Trying to help her stay in the U.S./Canada.

i would visit websites of stallions you like. They frequently list horses for sale by breeders that have used their stallion(s) as well as their own. Also, go to hanoverian.org and there is a listing of breeders websites that you can go through and see what they have for sale. Some breeders are poor at keeping their site up to date so if you see one that is producing what you like I would email them to see if they have something possibly not listed on their site.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

1 members found this post helpful.

I agree with Blume Farm, I would look at breeder's. I'm not sure where you are located, but check your GMO for ideas. I know the bigger MA Hanoverian breeders are Hof Mendenhol and Greengate, among other smaller breeders

I suggest that you look for quality, small trainers who specialize in starting babies. Many smaller breeders are using these folks, thus they will know of nice prospects that are perhaps not advertised on a large scale

Perhaps go to some local schooling shows and see who is riding nice youngsters in the lower level classes(?).

I have a friend who breeds high-quality foals and is exactly in this circumstance, which is what made me think of this option.

Good luck.

Look at 3 yr olds - they will be 4 next year and much easier to find/cheaper. That's what we ended up doing.

Also agree, go to some of the small breeders websites - that is a reasonable price for a decent quality 4 year old with a few months (3 to 6) under saddle with a smaller breeder. If you are looking for a 5 year old with a year's training, price is going to go up.
    Last edited by MysticOakRanch; May. 14, 2013 at 08:49 AM.

I would suggest that you go to the FB page of the Sunshine Sporthorse Association. There are several excellent breeders of well-bred dressage horses all located in NorthCentral Florida who are "aging out" of breeding and looking to reduce the number of horses that they have. Not just mares, but also geldings and younger, started and unstarted horses.

PS- We do not breed dressage horses so this is in no way an ad for ourselves! However, should you contact the breeders listed on their page, I would ask that you mention who sent you!
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Thank you everyone! I passed the info from this post and pm's along. My friend is looking for a competitive GP prospect. She just retired a horse that was showing I-1 and schooling GP. I think she may need to keep saving based on what she is looking for but have many promising places to look. Thank you!

Feel free to pm me - I've been looking for the same thing.

I bought my first wb from a US breeder at age 3 and showed through I1. When it came time to buy my next youngster, I spent 2 unsuccessful years looking for one - I really wanted to support and buy from a US buyer again but just couldn't find one with that "wow!" factor for a reasonable price that was already under saddle with good movement/breeding & soon grew weary of flying all over the States looking for one here, one there only to be disappointed .... Anyway, I finally broke down and went to Holland where my agent showed me literally dozens of young horses between the ages of 3 and 6 in one long weekend, most under saddle, with the movement and bloodlines I wanted - all were between 8-15 Euro - I was like a wide-eyed kid in a candy store! Brought home a nice Jazz/Contango with the blessing of US vet. If you want the name of my agent, pm me - personally, I had an awesome shopping experience, met some new friends, saw some amazing barns, and only wish I had done it 2 years sooner.

I know someone who imports incredible horses from Germany who would probably work in that range. Let me know if she decides to go that route.

the issue with this price point and importing is
    1) the import ALONE runs $8,000 - $10,000.
    2) that leaves about 10,000 EUROS, including vet check and commissions and travel for the rider/trainer/agent etc.

That's NOT a lot to work with in terms of importing.
    RoseLane Sporthorses-Westfalen horses and ponies
    Home of Golden State- 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Home of Golden West - 2013 Reserve Champion Westfalen Pony Stallion Licensing

2 members found this post helpful.

A 4-5 yr old with age appropriate training , good rideability, good natural balance under saddle, showing signs of having the ability to collect, and excellent movement (you did say she wants a competitive horse)... for 25 k? I think that is going to be tough.

I don't know that I would recommend buying something unstarted as it is then a real crapshoot but I think once someone has been on the horse and knows what they have (ie the rideability, ability to show inclination towards collection, good natural balance ect) then I think they are crazy to sell such a horse for 25 k to be honest. If she can ride difficult or smaller horses she may have some luck, but probably her best bet is taking a chance on a 3 year old.

But you never know, it depends how much of a rush she is in...
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

For importing, I think she needs to expand her budget to 30K, unless she's willing to buy off auction video (even then 30K would expand the list of possibles) - this would be for a rising 4 yr old, nicely started but that's all.
    For the same here, 40K would be a more realistic budget (again not including travel etc costs).
    25 K means finding that right place, right time, right horse ... not so likely to get all 3.

Note that 8-10K for importing is all very well, but unless she's close to an import facility, expect to add another 1-2 K (& upwards) for shipping.
    Problem with shopping in NA is the travel costs to see the 100 serious prospect horses that you'd easily view within a few days over in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post
    A 4-5 yr old with age appropriate training , good rideability, good natural balance under saddle, showing signs of having the ability to collect, and excellent movement (you did say she wants a competitive horse)... for 25 k? I think that is going to be tough.
    I suspect there are exceptions, but that was what I thought when I commented on the duplicate thread in the breeding forum as well.

I'm certain my filly would have been (deservedly) WAY out of my price range by the time she was started, though I think she would have sold before then anyway. There are some situations where someone had the young horse for themselves and personal situation means they have to sell it, etc., but a start under saddle at 3 is usually a big jump in price, and 4 with some time out at shows makes the price jump even more.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed