The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    I no longer wear contacts because of my prolonged contact with horses. Horseshoeing school cured me of that. A well-placed swish of a tail and contacts just don't mix. I also knew a guy that got an airborne hot piece of slag across one of his contacts when he pulled a shoe out of a forge and it partially melted his contact...managed to somehow not burn his eye, but NOT good! Yeah, a good set of glasses is a fairly decent measure of protection.
    Now both will just freak me out!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

thanks for all the great suggestions.

I am pretty sure I owe the fact that I still have two eyes to my wearing of glasses. I can't count the times a tree limb or something else could've done a good job of gouging one out, but was thwarted by safety plastic!

Progressive lenses (so no matter what you do the distance remains clear) with sides that "grip" your head (arm springs), plastic lenses with scratch proof coating.
    Sandy in Fla.

Sports glasses ? http://www.sporteyes.com/shop-all-ey...-by-sport.html

I am rejoicing 'cos I had cataract surgery and it's a bright new glassless world !
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

1 members found this post helpful.

Basically you can't win. I have the progressive lenses with auto grey and I still keep my old sunglasses with the polarized lenses in the car because the darned things won't work in the car, although I am happy with my Wally World flexible frames that have withstood being dropped, sat on and generally abused. Still cost several hundred dollars with all the add ons, scratch resistance safety plastic with progressive lenses and the tint.
    Going in and out of the sun - into and out of the barn either meant being blind while the lenses lightened up or having to carry the two pair, and although I like the auto greys they just didn't get dark enough when I was outside in a white sand arena. They do a lens replacement surgery that is lightyears ahead of Lasik and costs lightyears more - my girlfriend at work had it done after years of coke bottle glasses, but having a good safety plastic lens can save your eyes so . . .
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I ride in my plastic frames; either the RayBan perscription sunglasses or the regular eyeglasses. And I use an eyeglasses holder (string) that you can find at sporting goods stores.

I've been punched in the face whilst wearing a pair of metal framed glasses. I got a nice cut from the frames. So I wouldn't feel safe riding in a pair if metal or titanium framed glasses.

I used to wear those flexible frames. I found those worked best because they hurt the least when I inevitably got bonked in the face by something. They stayed put for polo.

I ultimately got LASIK and it was the best thing ever. I didn't mind my glasses terribly either, but it is soooo much nicer not having them. I was able to put mine on Care Credit to make it affordable.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NRB View Post
    I ride in my plastic frames; either the RayBan perscription sunglasses or the regular eyeglasses. And I use an eyeglasses holder (string) that you can find at sporting goods stores.

I've been punched in the face whilst wearing a pair of metal framed glasses. I got a nice cut from the frames. So I wouldn't feel safe riding in a pair if metal or titanium framed glasses.
    I have been bopped in the head with all kinds of frames and in my experience, the titanium wire frames didn't even leave an impression, while others, larger frames, did.
    If you were hit hard enough for those to cut, think what a bigger frame may have done.
    I don't even need any thing holding my thin titanium ones up, they are so light and fit so well, they stay where put no matter what I do.

Others may have different experiences with them, of course.

OP, now you have enough to decide what you want to try, there is so much to try out there.

Quote Originally Posted by candysgirl View Post
    I used to wear those flexible frames. I found those worked best because they hurt the least when I inevitably got bonked in the face by something. They stayed put for polo.

I ultimately got LASIK and it was the best thing ever. I didn't mind my glasses terribly either, but it is soooo much nicer not having them. I was able to put mine on Care Credit to make it affordable.
    Yup you couldn't pay me to go back to needing glasses all the time, though it's fun to buy sunglasses
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I've been cut up by my glasses too, but I wouldn't have a right eye if it wasn't for the stupid fancy plastic lenses either. I cut a band off a pallet at work and it popped up and put a decent scratch in the right lens - would it have hit my eye? Dunno, and I didn't have to find out either.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Lasik sadly doesn't work with all eyesight problems.

I've been wearing Maui Jim glasses since I first learned that the company sponsors horse trials. I know that the big MJHT is "gone" (don't know all the ugly deets), but figure they should still get my business before non-horse-activity-sponsoring makers
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff