The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default best glasses for riding?

I need recommendations on the most durable, comfortable, and least ugly glasses (frames) for riding, and other outdoor activities. My middle-aged eyes now need help beyond even reading, and I want something that's not too fragile... I have been buying cheap plastic cheaters off the shelf, but they fall apart all the time, not good when you are on the trail.
    I now have a prescription to fill wisely...

i don't have any recommedations on specific frames, but try this website

www.zennioptical.com

they have frames as low as $6 and have a lot to choose from! definitely worth taking a look

1 members found this post helpful.

I have had for many years titanium wire frames, that screw onto the glasses and they have held up wonderfully.

The lady at the store told me about them, is what construction workers use because they are indestructible and they really are, I have been hard on them and they still look like new after all these years.

They come in men and women's colors, in mine the very thin wire is a dark purple color.
    They look like the second picture here:

http://blinsodt.com/rimless-eyeglass-frames-titanium/

They are the absolutely most comfortable, light glasses I ever had and have stood all kinds of horse and other mayhem without bending.
    I used to take my glasses off when starting colts or jumping, because they tended to fall on the end of my nose, but not with this ones.
    Last edited by Bluey; May. 12, 2013 at 09:01 PM.

I have the titanium frames, too, and they are very practical and have lasted well. They survived a fall to the side of my head and, though they dug into my nose, they didn't break. I have the lenses that turn dark in the sun.

Yes, get the ones that turn dark outside, but get the grey tint, not brown.
    The brown also turn dark when is cold, not good in the winter, when it is dark anyway.

My ray bans are petty tough; i've dropped 'em a few times and they survived. the annoying thing is that a comapany that used to make nothing but sunglasses doesn't make sunglass clip ons for their regular frames.

Nonetheless, i have a cheapo pair of single visions in the car for the inevitable accident where my regular ones come off my face and get stepped on by a horse. Can't drive without 'em and it's a long walk home.

Also an OD will make sure they fit well and they shouldn't come off your face under normal wear.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Prescription Oakley sport sunglasses are what I would reccommend, if you can afford them.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I ride in glasses. I tried the titanium, and it didn't really help. Just buy a bunch from zennioptical, so you can keep replacing them. You can get them for as little as $8 for the prescription and $5 more for sunglasses, or you can get snap on. I cannot stand the little nose holders that leave indents, so I always buy the plastic. I usually get. 6 to 8 pair at a time for under $100 .

I have to wear glasses all the time, and in addition to riding and driving, I also do equestrian vaulting. So I have several sport bands for my glasses (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Flents-Sports-.../dp/B000KRKJ0Y). I keep two at the barn, two in my car, and two at home, so I always have at least one handy. It's invisible under my helmet, and keeps my glasses on during even the bumpiest rides, haha. And I can do hangs and upside down stuff at vaulting without my glasses coming off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceylon Star View Post
    I have to wear glasses all the time, and in addition to riding and driving, I also do equestrian vaulting. So I have several sport bands for my glasses (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Flents-Sports-.../dp/B000KRKJ0Y). I keep two at the barn, two in my car, and two at home, so I always have at least one handy. It's invisible under my helmet, and keeps my glasses on during even the bumpiest rides, haha. And I can do hangs and upside down stuff at vaulting without my glasses coming off.
    I took my glasses off for vaulting.
    Interesting what you say, a helmet for vaulting?
    That is a new one for me, must add to the difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I took my glasses off for vaulting.
    Interesting what you say, a helmet for vaulting?
    That is a new one for me, must add to the difficulty.
    Haha, I guess I didn't make much sense with that, eh? No, no helmet for vaulting, too dangerous. But I ride and drive with my helmet on 5 days a week, and vault 1-2 days, so I guess since I wear my helmet more days than not I figured it was important to say? haha, I'm running on about 30 minutes of sleep, don't mind my ramblings!

But I can't take my glasses off for vaulting. I can't see more than about a foot in front of my face, and trying to vault with no vision tends to lead to no sense of balance and a bad case of vertigo!

I have barn glasses. Usually an older pair that sticks on tight, rather than my fave pair of the moment. When you get them adjusted, hang your head and shake to make sure they will stay on. I

They may laugh, but it beats having your glasses slide off while hoof picking! I have found that glasses aren't a big issue when riding (helmet keeps them up for me), but when working around the barn.

However, once I fell off on a trail rid & lost my glasses. That SUCKED. We managed to find them, but only b/c they were bright red.

I have a loose pair that will not stay put, no matter how they are adjusted. Last week they slid down my nose into a fetal pig dissection. ICK

I have had the titanium frames for several pair of glasses. I guess it is just personal preference, but I prefer a bit heavier frame for riding. ( I mostly wore the titaniums for work) I just go to the eye glass store and try on a bunch of frames( usually on the sale rack). I go for comfort, least fru-fru style, and try to make sure the frames don't interfer with my peripheral vision. I also reccommend the Transitions lenses that darken when you are outside.

I hate transisiton lens becasue they don't go dark enough, don't work in the car, and don't go light quick enough! I bought clip on ones that go with my glasses. I hae very thick lens so the frames with out the bottoms do not work well for me. I do know that I need frequent stops at the optomotrists to get them adjusted!

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    They may laugh, but it beats having your glasses slide off while hoof picking! I have found that glasses aren't a big issue when riding (helmet keeps them up for me), but when working around the barn.

This is the problem I have, maybe due to the style of glasses; anyone have a solution other than switching frames? I usually wear plastic frames with the integrated nose piece, I'm thinking that is the issue? I usually keep some off the shelf reading glasses in the barn if I need to look at dosage etc. otherwise I quit wearing glasses in the barn.

Have you considered LASIK?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

What about contacts? I have an irrational phobia of wearing glasses while riding a horse.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    What about contacts? I have an irrational phobia of wearing glasses while riding a horse.
    Working outside, in our wind and dry dust, contacts just didn't work, but they may for others.

Some that had lasix or such swear by it, I don't mind my glasses and am too old to care about looks or some inconvenience.

I do think that the glasses that change in the sun help very much, as per my eye doctor, that said for someone outside most of the time over the years, "I had minimal sun damage for my advanced age" and gave that credit for it.
    Several friends have had cataract surgery already, so maybe he is right?

I wear glasses that have men's aviator frames and stems that can flex outward. A rule of thumb is that most things made for men are built to last, and most things made for women are built to be disposable. In at least 20 years I have yet to buy a product that has disproven my little theory here.

You might think the aviators are ugly, but they are "distinctive", just bear that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    I no longer wear contacts because of my prolonged contact with horses. Horseshoeing school cured me of that. A well-placed swish of a tail and contacts just don't mix. I also knew a guy that got an airborne hot piece of slag across one of his contacts when he pulled a shoe out of a forge and it partially melted his contact...managed to somehow not burn his eye, but NOT good! Yeah, a good set of glasses is a fairly decent measure of protection.