The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any show organizers that would like to chime in here??

I sent in my completed entry for a horse trials well before the closing date, and I was placed on the waitlist. I was a little shocked, and investigated a little further, noticing that there was only 1 completed entry listed in my division out of all of the "applicants."

Wouldn't you agree that people who submit their entries before the closing date AND have complete entries should be given first priority (not waitlisted) before those that have sent in incomplete entries?

Is it just me, or is $400 a huge loss if you "accept" an incomplete entry if they don't ever bring the money or show up? It doesn't make sense to me. I think competitors should be rewarded for writing that big fat $400 check if they are on time, by getting priority over incomplete entries. Any insight??

Completed entries are supposed to be accepted before incomplete entries but with the recent popularity of online entries, it can be a little less black and white than it used to be. People will enter online but still be required to send their check, Coggins, signatures, etc. which somtimes affects their "status" even though they may have entered before you.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

It's a huge pet peeve of mine seeing all the incompleted entries, even when I am entered! I don't understand why people just don't do I right the first time.

I agree, priority should be given to complete and on time entries.

1 members found this post helpful.

Any historians able to tell us when the "draw" date went away?

woah woah woah.... "draw" date?? haha

I'm glad y'all agree with me. I work hard for my paycheck and when i write that $400 check on time, I want it to count!

Pet peeve of mine, too, but that's not how it works.
    Click here before you buy.

Another thing to keep in mind is that online entry lists are not always instantly updated. While it may read "incomplete," it may just be in need of updating, from personal experience.

I agree that a complete entry should get priority but I am also often the person who emails their Coggins in later - but I have not seen a waitlist at events I have been to, although it's not like I go to 10 or 20 a year.

Default Here is what the rules say..

Below is the general regulation which defines a complete entry-either paper or electronic and one of the requirements is that payment of the entry and stabling fee is necessary.

Eventing rule: EV106.2.c states that incomplete entries should be either returned to the competitor or placed "at the bottom of the list of entries."

I would interpret to mean that complete entries should not be wait-listed behind incomplete entries-dependent on their date of submittal.

Hope this is helpful. If you feel this is not being done properly you should communicate with the show secretary and if necessary USEF as all organizers agree to abide by the rules.

Margie Molloy

GR909 General
    1. Entries must be made in writing and signed by the (1) exhibitor (2) the rider, driv
    -
    er, handler, vaulter or longeur, (3) the trainer, and (4) the coach, if applicable, or by
    the agent(s) of such person(s) and must be accompanied by funds to cover entry fees,
    stall fees and Federation fee (see GR208.1). In the case of a rider, driver, handler,
    vaulter or longeur under 18, his/her parent or guardian, or if not available, the train
    -
    er, must sign an entry blank on the minor’s behalf. Or: by transmitting the required
    entry data to a designated collection agent via the internet, accompanied by a valid
    credit card payment to cover entry fees, stall fees, Federation fee (see GR208.1) and
    applicable processing fees, and including the name(s) of the (1) exhibitor, (2) rider,
    driver, handler, vaulter or longeur, (3) the trainer, and (4) the coach, if applicable. The
    secretary of the competition will accept such an entry as complete (see 1.1 below).
    a.
    In the case of on-line entries, no competition number will be issued until the
    Competition Secretary has received an entry form, the signatures of the (1) ex
    -
    hibitor, (2) the rider, driver, handler, vaulter or longeur, (3) the trainer, and (4)
    the coach, if applicable, or of the agent(s) of such person(s). In the case of a rider,
    driver, handler, vaulter or longeur under 18, his/her parent or guardian, or if not
    available, the trainer must sign an entry blank on the minor’s behalf.
    b.
    Submission of on-line entry accompanied by a valid credit card
    or other type
    of electronic
    payment shall be construed to be acceptance by the person(s)
    named in the entry of the provisions of GR906-GR908 and GR911-GR91

1 members found this post helpful.

This wasnt for woodside was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    I, personally ignore the closing date, and plan to make sure my entries for any show that is important to me will arrive on the opening date.
    I thought entries couldn't be postmarked before the opening date?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl View Post
    Any historians able to tell us when the "draw" date went away?
    Draw date never went away.

EV 106.5.a
    a. Organizers will accept all entries postmarked or time stamped on the opening
    date if space allows. In the event of over subscription at this stage, a draw will be
    made and a waiting list established.
    Note is (and has always been)for entries postmarked/datestamped (used to be received) ON the opening date.
    Last edited by Janet; May. 13, 2013 at 09:50 AM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I, personally ignore the closing date, and plan to make sure my entries for any show that is important to me will arrive on the opening date.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    I thought entries couldn't be postmarked before the opening date?
    "30 years ago" the rules were based on when the entries were received. So if you wanted it to be received on the opening date, you had to mail it before the opening date. Or hand deliver it.

NOW they are based on postmark, etc.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I, personally ignore the closing date, and plan to make sure my entries for any show that is important to me will arrive on the opening date. Sometimes that means Fedex overnighting. 30 years ago, I personally drove all of the entries from my farm to the Sec's home on the opening morning. I wanted to make REALLY sure we all got in.
    That would not work in this day and age. Entries must be POSTMARKED no earlier than the opening date. When they arrive is not important, so long as they're not lost in the mail.
    Click here before you buy.

Just a note--if you send FedEx or Overnight Mail or any other overnight service, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE waive the signature requirement. It is a major hassle for me to get entries that don't have that waived.

I, personally ignore the closing date, and plan to make sure my entries for any show that is important to me will arrive on the opening date. Sometimes that means Fedex overnighting. 30 years ago, I personally drove all of the entries from my farm to the Sec's home on the opening morning. I wanted to make REALLY sure we all got in.

As the manager and Secretary for many shows, I really loved entries that were complete, but things happen. People write checks for the wrong amount, payable to wrong show, send Coggins for their other horse, forget to sign their name, etc. I was not going to punish people for a mistake. Where do you draw the line between an honest mistake, and laziness?

2 members found this post helpful.

Has anyone noticed that the postmark does not appear on some forms of postage? I don't know if it's the new print-postage-at-home systems, or some other form of software, but it's a sticker made by a Hasler postage machine, and there is no date on it! And it doesn't have a cancellation mark either. Horse show entries are not the only thing in the world that depend on a postmark; how does the Hasler system get away with this? I asked the mailman and he had no idea.

Well I can tell you that you can program postage machines to not include a post date -it says 0 or something. This is useful for offices where you need to pre-post envelopes. If it has a date and you hang onto it for 3 days before mailing, the PO can refuse to take it. And you can't post-date it either, so the null date is OK.

But to answer the OP's question, yes I'd be really annoyed about that and hopefully you will get into the event.