The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default No wonder so many dogs end up at shelters...mini vent

People really have no idea how to interact with dogs. It is so frustrating!!! I have 3 rescue chis that are really very good, but they still have some baggage and I think they are so good because of my working so hard to try to make their experiences in life positive ones. We also share a houseboat with a relative of my husband. My 3 dogs come with me to the boat but the way they are treated is super annoying. People constantly harass them. The people think they are playing but it is constant harrassment. Pulling their ears, blowing in their face, grabbing at their paws, snatching their bones from them and at the same time sticking their face right in theirs and saying "mine"! The list goes on and on. I am sure much of it has to do with the fact that my dogs are so small. It makes me wish I had a big, rescued, scarred up, ex-fighting dog! Maybe people would have more respect!

Obviously I do my best to keep my dogs safe and protected and even stay home with them when I know there are multiple visitors to the boat, but this stuff happens lots of other places too.

My dogs are good, though I can see they get uncomfortable but they look to me and I get them out of the situation, but it makes me realize the crap we expect dogs to put up with. Why do people think its cute to tease dogs??? Maybe i just know an inordinant number of idiots??? I can't stand it! Yet if I say anything people just act like I am being ridiculous or uptight. They all fancy themselves as being adored by dogs ("All dogs just LOVE me!") Can't anyone read animal body language???
    Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride,
    friendship without envy or beauty without vanity?
    Ode to the Horse. ~ Ronald Duncan

There are a couple of people at the barn with rescued chiw and I don't go near them, they bite. Maybe that is what you should say....or maybe it is just boat people...

People are idiots. I work in the animal rescue field and just the other day watched my boss say "Isn't this a great dog!?" while taking a bone from a dog who was showing the whites of his eyes, freezing, and attempting to hide said bone. Boss took the bone from the dog, gave the dog no reward, and never gave the bone back. I was unsurprised to hear that the poor dog bit the boss's wife later the same day.

I recently read an article that said dogs have a bank of tolerance. Some dogs' banks are larger than others, but if you only make withdrawals you'll eventually go bankrupt with even the most tolerant dog.

Yep, that makes sense. I see that bank depleting with my dogs some weekends and so I pack them up and go to the barn where the pack of dogs is very well adjusted and the humans have an inkling of dog sense! That usually restocks the bank - both theirs and mine!

I am so sorry, I feel like I have to apologize because so many people are so clueless!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Start protecting your dogs better. Idiots will tease and harass your dogs until the fool people get bitten, and then it will be the dog's fault. Tell people to leave your dogs alone, tell them loudly and firmly, and if they don't then tell them to get away or else. You don't have to tolerate a fool being cruel to your dogs, and if they think you do , then they're wrong. Being polite for me ends when it impacts my animals.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

3 members found this post helpful.

It does boil down to, you are responsible for your dogs, and how others interact with them, so you may need to really set limits for people, but it is sad how clueless some are!

2 members found this post helpful.

I do protect them. It's just I am made to feel like a constant, overprotective bitch. The relative is half owner of the boat. I had a talk with my husband tonight that this is something he needs to handle. The fact that he doesn't back me up just opens the door for continued behavior.

Next time someone blows in your dog's face, find their kids & start doing the same thing. If no kids are available, just do it to the offender. Maybe pull on their hair and ears, too.

I am only half kidding. If you have already told them, maybe this will get your point across.

I was discussing an open position at the zoo (elephant caretaker) with a coworker the other day, and we got into a discussion how my horse background is high beneficial.

1) spacial awareness; you gain spacial awareness that most people don't have. I didn't even have to hear the hoof beats of my friends 16.3hh 4 year old running up to me when my back was turned in pasture, I felt a difference in her space and the space where 2 geldings WERE, pre her running through them to run up to me.
    2) you read body language better. Your average dog and cat owner go through life not knowing or understanding how to read body language in animals. No one thinks about it when you have Fluffy or Fido, who care what the 5# chi says? His bite doesn't hurt.

I was recently at a BBQ, I reminded everyone present the same thing I say to everyone: my dog will come up and sniff you, she will sit next to you, she may lie at your feet, you may hand her food off your plate, but DO NOT touch her. (touching is still scary.) Some drunk chick decided it was a brilliant idea to stick her face into said dogs face while someone was holding her. Seriously? My dog, who is still fearful of people, let alone your eyes that are boring into hers, could have scarred your pretty little face for life. I called it quits after that, visiting time was over.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    Next time someone blows in your dog's face, find their kids & start doing the same thing. If no kids are available, just do it to the offender. Maybe pull on their hair and ears, too.

I am only half kidding. If you have already told them, maybe this will get your point across.
    OMG! I love this!!!!!! I think I am actually going to do this to the offenders!!!

TBRedHead, yes, that is exactly the kind of thing that happens. Hmmm...maybe the drinking brings out the idiot behavior. Since i don't drink, I never really thought of that before. There also seems to be a certain annoyance that I love my dogs as much as I do. Not in a coddling way, but that I care that they are not harassed and others think "who cares about the stupid dog".

I think taking dogs to a human gathering/event is like taking kids to a fancy restaurant. It can work, but only if you have a particular type of dog/kid. That kind is low-key, friendly, easy-going, and very, very tolerant of mistakes and poor decisions. Most kids and dogs are NOT like this, and should be left home unless the outing is specifically oriented to being ABOUT the kid or dog.

And even as someone with the low-key, friendly, easy-going and very, very tolerant of mistakes dog (an old black lab who cheerfully allows himself to bossed about by toddlers and kittens) and whose worst behavior is to stare longingly at food with what my SO calls "hungry eyes", the problem with bringing even the low-key dog to such events is that it can encourage other dog owners with dogs not suitable to these situations to bring them because the event appears "dog friendly".

And even as someone with the low-key, friendly, easy-going and very, very tolerant of mistakes dog (an old black lab who cheerfully allows himself to bossed about by toddlers and kittens) and whose worst behavior is to stare longingly at food with what my SO calls "hungry eyes", the problem with bringing even the low-key dog to such events is that it can encourage other dog owners with dogs not suitable to these situations to bring them because the event appears "dog friendly".