The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Playing devils advocate here... Perhaps the OP has simply outgrown the trainer. It happens. There are some trainers who don't want their students to go beyond what the trainer is capable of teaching because if the student progresses beyond that level they tend to find better instruction.
    Unfortunately for the OP, as long as she's leasing the horse at that facility, she's pretty much stuck.
    I think she has shown great maturity in her replies to suggestions, so I would tend to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Well, if I were your trainer and you were half leasing a horse from one of my other clients and blatantly ignoring the instructions on how to ride the stadium course just because you like to go fast I would be talking with the owner of the horse about terminating your lease. It is not about speed. It is about precision. There is no reason to go careening around the XC or Stadium at that level. Actually at any level. If you were truly going in a controlled, balanced, but forward pace you would not have to jerk the horse back on course. If you are going at an unbalanced fast pace then you will have bad spots, jerky rides, and possibly a fall.

Show your trainer that you can listen to her instructions. You trust her enough to pay for her knowledge so listen to it. If you won't listen to her then end your lease and find another facility to ride at.

2 members found this post helpful.

I just wanted to add that this isn't a typical problem for us in the stadium ring. It was one combined test. I didn't have to jerk her on course; she's rather downhill, and I really have to work at setting her on her hind end, especially coming into a two stride combination. With this horse, it's generally a nicer and smoother ride if I am not fighting her the entire time; we save that for schooling at home.

I appreciate all of those who took time to respond, but I'm not a dangerous rider, who blatantly ignores her coach. We had one speedy stadium round, which I regret even letting it happen because of my desire to move up. In the end, I don't believe it was out of control, though.

So here's what I'd do. You made a mistake and went too fast. That was a tactical error and totally forgivable. Nonetheless, I'd just suck it up and get out there and do another BN and be done with it. It's not going to hurt you and you can preserve your relationship with your trainer. It sounds like your last competition was a combined test... Or maybe I missed something. So enter another CT and then move on.

It's the price you pay for a tactical error in going too fast. It's good you didn't make that error when moving up because the novice course would not have been as forgiving.

Go prove yourself. And good luck! :-)

1 members found this post helpful.

Okay, here is a video of our generic beginner novice round. It's cut off because well, grandma was videotaping. No critiques on position because this was last September, and I have come a long way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQvbh2dEmq0

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    So here's what I'd do. You made a mistake and went too fast. That was a tactical error and totally forgivable. Nonetheless, I'd just suck it up and get out there and do another BN and be done with it. It's not going to hurt you and you can preserve your relationship with your trainer. It sounds like your last competition was a combined test... Or maybe I missed something. So enter another CT and then move on.)
    I've been researching, and there actually a combined test in my area in June. I think that is what we will have to do to remind my coach that I can go slow.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Could be a good part of the problem is the trainer's as well. Reading tea leaves from nike's other posts, the trainer is herself not a particularly high level eventer, having gone prelim as her top level. Her dressage skills are somewhat more in evidence as she has done 4th level. One gets the feeling that she is also rather rigid, hard to talk to, and possibly defensive about her own qualifications. One can postulate two things: the extra BN is punishment for not going as slow as trainer had told nike to go, or she herself really doesn't feel comfortable with a student at Novice instead of BN, or maybe both.

I know teenagers are not the always the easiest to work with since they are learning that they have minds of their own and are reaching for independence.

Has she other eventing students who have run Novice? Or training?

Nike says that this horse, which she found in the first place is a complete Novice packer. Maybe I'm just crazy, but three years and 5 recognized BNs just sounds excessive for someone who is a DECENT rider and wants to move up. I watched the Jump Start 2012 video and the part of the round that was videoed looked perfectly competent over what are speed bump jumps. I didn't see dangerous nor did I see unusually fast. What I saw was a horse motoring around, not slow loping a hunter round.

On a philosophical note, sj in eventing is to show "competence in the specialized discipline of show jumping" (per the FEI). Part of show jumping competence is jumping at speed.

One assumes that Nike is dependent on the trainer for trailering outside the barn, which does make a big problem bigger. I think what's going on here is lack of mutual understanding and respect, in part because of the trainer's style. I think eponacowgirl's suggestion on how to approach trainer on this is probably a good way to begin.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

You're not my student, and I'm not your trainer, but if you were listening to me in lessons (although you did not at one CT and that would chap my ass ) based on the above video, I would feel comfortable letting your run Novice at a KNOWN to be straightforward horse trial. (And I've only run training, and I'm very conservative with making my kiddos wait to move up. So there.)

In general I think there isn't a huge difference between BN/N, it's not a big deal, they didn't have BN when we old people started, etc.

That said, if my trainer didn't feel I was safe I would definitely listen to that. Recovering from set backs is no fun.

Your video doesn't look bad at all, though the description is scary--assume that happened off camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    Okay, here is a video of our generic beginner novice round. It's cut off because well, grandma was videotaping. No critiques on position because this was last September, and I have come a long way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQvbh2dEmq0
    WOAH Nike! You are out of control!
    With all of these opinions on here, I was expecting a little more "entertainment" from your video. lol But, nice riding!

Meh. If my trainer thought I was out of control I would not be allowed to go to shows (with her at least). There would be no question of beginner novice vs novice ect.

The fact that the trainer is okay with you running beginner novice the way you do should indicate that you would be okay to do novice. Reasons for holding you back should be that you cannot answer the questions that are offered at novice; since they are so similar to BN you should have no problems. If there is truly a question of control in stadium or CC (which I didn't see in the video) then you have no business being at a show to begin with. There is no difference to me if a trainer's student runs wildly around BN or runs wildly around N. If they look out of control and crazy it is going to reflect badly on the trainer regardless of the level. IMO, people who come running around all scary-like should not be there at all, they should be home learning how to ride (I do not apply this to you based on your video you looked fine).

However, I can tell you that if I ever decided I didn't want to listen to my trainer for whatever reason I would be fired no questions asked. If you aspire to the higher levels one day, and you move to a trainer who can help you get there in the future, make certain you are ready to listen because most will not tolerate blatant disregard for their opinions or directions....especially in regards to safety.

Quote Originally Posted by jsydney5 View Post
    WOAH Nike! You are out of control!
    With all of these opinions on here, I was expecting a little more "entertainment" from your video. lol But, nice riding!
    OP, I'm confused. Is this the round that your trainer didn't like or is this another round?

If the issue is you not listening to instructions, then yes, I can see why she's not rewarding you with a move up on a horse that you are only half leasing. What if the ground is dodgy one day and she tells you to take it easy and you get out there and forget her instructions and cowboy around because you "just like to go fast". And as for the horse being a novice packer, that sometimes means that he tops out at novice. I know it's not that big of a difference but there are differences and I don't think I'd be comfortable sending out a horse I was responsible for under a half leassor that doesn't listen at the horse's maximum level. I also wouldn't be too impressed that you went on COTH to whine about what appears to be at least in part a discilplinary action on the part of your coach. I'm surprised at the number of experienced people on here egging you on in your disgruntled reaction. Do another event at BN, show that you know ow to listen and move up. Or change coaches to one you will listen to and find another packer to lease.

2 members found this post helpful.