The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite New Boot Tricks?

I'm still elated! Managed to find new boots on Friday. Thank you Dover!

I wore them all day yesterday. Just around home, at a family outing, around the barn and riding, for a total of 12 hrs. They're dropping nicely. Only bothered my right heel a little where the zipper hits. They haven't dropped enough yet to zipper entirely, still have not quite an inch but I'm not concerned yet.

However they squeak like crazy in the saddle and ate slowing driving me and my green mare nuts.

Just wondering if anyone knows what to do to discourage the squeaking? They feel crazy secure in the saddle so I'm not sure where its coming from.

Have you cleaned or oiled them? Sometimes having oil on the inside of the boot will squeak against the leathers or flap. What kind of boots did you get?

I didn't do anything to the boots, just put them on right out of the box. My saddle has been recently oiled though. I got Ariats.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ariat-h...ll/p/X1-38580/

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Lexol, inside the boots. Lots of it. Give them a good soaking with Lexol, especially around the ankle and heel areas, and then wear them around the house for a week, re-soaking them regularaly with the Lexol. Has not let me down, yet, through Dehners, Ariats, etc.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 222orchids View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Lexol, inside the boots. Lots of it. Give them a good soaking with Lexol, especially around the ankle and heel areas, and then wear them around the house for a week, re-soaking them regularaly with the Lexol. Has not let me down, yet, through Dehners, Ariats, etc.
    The conditioner? My right boot is rubbing my heal when walking and they still need to sink more.