The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default WWYD "friend" with unspayed cat

My biggest pet peeve (is that a pun?) is people who always have baby animals to give away or sell. I have an acquaintance who is always posting pictures of adorable kittens (for free!) on her facebook page. I mean...a couple times a year. Plus all of the cat illnesses that she always seems to be dealing with. (?) Anyway, it is taking EVERY LAST OUNCE of my willpower not to post pictures of euthanized kittens on her facebook page. People have made comments before about spaying. I'm even thinking of offering to pay for it to get done. What do I do?!
    What I lack in preparedness I make up for in enthusiasm

When I was a young adult and had no shame I took one kitten, and took mama off to be spayed. As a "gift". And I came back and took her stitches out myself too (they were wire, it was a LONG time ago).

It's been my experience that you can offer all you want, and even give them the money, BTDT, they still don't have time, etc. etc, but taking care of the spay or neuter gets it done.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

1 members found this post helpful.

Based on my experience/observations, there is nothing you can do or say that will make ppl like this change their behavior.

I would post stats about unwanted dogs & cats on her facebook & link to local spay/neuter clinic. I wouldn't expect it to have an effect, though.

Two stories, of many:

Gal upstairs from me complained about her cat spraying, etc etc, always saying she could not afford to have it fixed (yet she went out partying at least 2x/week). I sent her info on how to get a coupon for FREE surgery - she had to stop at a place about 5 blocks from here to pick it up. Never happened, always had an excuse.

Neighbor across the street has a male pit bull. Other neighbor & I actually, per her request when we suggested it, called & set up pickup with free neuter program, borrowed a large crate that program requested. She still backed out. Claimed she was too busy...she didn't even have to leave her damn house (she is on disability, so she doesn't go much of anywhere). So there is a unneutered pitbull with a kid in the house, has been sweet so far but am waiting for him to snap.

Quote Originally Posted by Anteup View Post
    My biggest pet peeve (is that a pun?) is people who always have baby animals to give away or sell. I have an acquaintance who is always posting pictures of adorable kittens (for free!) on her facebook page. I mean...a couple times a year. Plus all of the cat illnesses that she always seems to be dealing with. (?) Anyway, it is taking EVERY LAST OUNCE of my willpower not to post pictures of euthanized kittens on her facebook page. People have made comments before about spaying. I'm even thinking of offering to pay for it to get done. What do I do?!
    I can't tell you what to do, but I'd say that for me it would depend on how much it bothered me. I had an acquiantance that was a good friend years ago, but whom I kind of lost touch with. On her facebook, she made a lot of posts about dogs and animal issues and politics that I just completely disagreed with. It was one of those things where I knew that she believed she was right, and I knew I thought that I was right. It really bothered me. I don't want my facebook page to be offensive or controversial, so I ignored it for a long time, until she posted something that just got to me and I unfriended her. Frankly, I'm glad I did. If I run into her I go over and talk to her and it is always good to see her, but there are some things that we just have to agree to disagree on and I didn't like it thrown in my face when I checked my newsfeed.
    If it really bothers you, just unfriend her. If you haven't made a comment about spaying her cats, I don't see how it would be that bad of a thing to do if you did it in the right way. In other words, I would post, "Have you thought about getting the mama cat spayed? The kittens are adorable but Lord knows we have an overpopulation problem." I wouldn't post, "You are a totally irresponsible idiot to be breeding cats that you are giving away on facebook" (even though I kind of think it might be true).

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post

Neighbor across the street has a male pit bull. Other neighbor & I actually, per her request when we suggested it, called & set up pickup with free neuter program, borrowed a large crate that program requested. She still backed out. Claimed she was too busy...she didn't even have to leave her damn house (she is on disability, so she doesn't go much of anywhere). So there is a unneutered pitbull with a kid in the house, has been sweet so far but am waiting for him to snap.
    Can you not with the pitbull bashing?

And there's been no conclusive evidence and studies down to show that being neutered will actually lower aggression - if there's any to begin with.

You sound more afraid of him being a pitbull (and thus he's dangerous) than anything else.
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

3 members found this post helpful.

Buy friend a night at a B&B- babysit cat- boom! cat spayed.

Me, I would post the pictures of euthanized kittens....Your friend is an adult, time to start acting like one.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Me, I would post the pictures of euthanized kittens....Your friend is an adult, time to start acting like one.
    Because it's so adult like to post dead kittens on someone else's wall If it annoys you, stop subscribing to her posts or unfriend her. You can offer to spay the cat, but you can't stop her from just getting another.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Because it's so adult like to post dead kittens on someone else's wall If it annoys you, stop subscribing to her posts or unfriend her. You can offer to spay the cat, but you can't stop her from just getting another.
    You clearly missed the point, might want to read OP post. But hey, people who just look the other way are not the people who help others change...or even try.

Just to clarify, you know it's her personal cat? I have free kittens posted on my wall a lot in the spring summer too. Litters of them. I have 4 neutered males.... But I foster and frequently raise bottle babies. Just saying to make sure it's not a situation like that before any judgements are made. However if it is her cat I would make sure I did all I could to help get it spayed. Then I would drop her as a friend if she didn't.

Hippolyta-
    You live in an apartment complex. Which I'm betting means said unneutered dog isn't running loose outside knocking up everything in a 10 mile radius. I don't give a crap who it is or wha breed it is as long as its not reproducing willy nilly I MYOB. To assume the dog being intact equals it's going to maul a child is just showing your ignorance on the whole subject. Of neutering, pitbulls and dogs/kids. You approach me with that kinda of BS 'logic' and I wouldn't let you near my dog either!
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Well, neighbor with unneutered male dog (who lives in a house, not apartment complex) called ME and asked about having the dog around her grandson, who lives with her. She has told me that she worries about being able to control such a strong dog, as she is not physically well. She called me b/c she knows that I have a background in husbandry. I did not take it upon myself to randomly stick my nose in.

I do not consider her a responsible dog owner, since she voiced above concerns and then did nothing to follow through, so I don't think she has any business owning any breed of dog that requires an experienced owner. I never thought of myself as a pit bull basher, but I would think that responsible ownership of one as a pet would include neutering it and keeping it from roaming, which she does not.

I grew up with a house full of dogs, one of which was a Staffordshire terrier, my mother was a dog breeder, vet and AKC judge. I do not consider myself ignorant, but I do consider myself realistic. Any high energy breed of dog with an inexperience owner, un-neutered, with children, I am sorry, it is not responsible.

I get why ppl are so sensitive about pit bull bashing, I do not in any way support breed specific legislation, etc. I do think it is silly that you think it is ok for one to be wandering around with his nuts adangle.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyIsles View Post
    Can you not with the pitbull bashing?

And there's been no conclusive evidence and studies down to show that being neutered will actually lower aggression - if there's any to begin with.

You sound more afraid of him being a pitbull (and thus he's dangerous) than anything else.
    Actually, as a pit bull advocate, I can say you are incorrect. There IS evidence to show that unfixed dogs of ANY breed are more aggressive than those who are not. I will have to look in my archives to find the data but there is a peer reviewed paper out there that says that unfixed dogs DO tend to be more aggressive ESPECIALLY when puppies are involved.
    Mind you, before you argue with me, I am a pit bull owner and advocate. I have fostered two (one who became my dog, a happy foster failure am I).

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by chancellor2 View Post
    A There IS evidence to show that unfixed dogs of ANY breed are more aggressive than those who are not. I will have to look in my archives to find the data but there is a peer reviewed paper out there that says that unfixed dogs DO tend to be more aggressive ESPECIALLY when puppies are involved.
    Mind you, before you argue with me, I am a pit bull owner and advocate. I have fostered two (one who became my dog, a happy foster failure am I).
    quick & dirty search:
    from 2001 paper, JAVMA "Dog bites to humans—demography,
    epidemiology, injury, and risk" (yes it is 12 yrs old)

Studies identifying only aggression, rather than a specific diagnosis involving aggression, indicate that intact male dogs are more often implicated in aggression than are castrated ones.

citations for this statement

Wright JC, Nesselrote MS. Classification of behavior problems in dogs: distribution of age, breed, sex, and reproductive status. Appl Anim Behav Sci 1987;19:169–178.
    Voith VL. Profile of 100 animal behavior cases. Mod Vet
    Pract 1981;62:394–396.

However, it seems that info on neutered vs non is not always recorded when dog bites are reported.

When the dog bites are recorded, you are correct that it is not always noted whether the dog is fixed or not. Additionally, the breed of the dog is OFTEN mis identified.
    Back to the topic at hand though.