The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default old crabby cat won't let me brush her

She has lots of long hair. She has always been pissy about letting me at her with the brush, but now she is even worse, and has arthritis in her hind end & is really sensitive in that area.

She looks like h*ll. Stringy. No mats, really, but that is b/c I go over her with fingers to get any b/f they really develop (seems they arise overnight). This is really only possible around her front end, as going towards the hind legs upsets her.

I feel bad b/c I am really annoyed by her fluff everywhere, and now hairballs, both of which would be avoided if she would let me brush her properly. I have been giving her hairball goop, but not sure it does much. She just puked on my suede boots. grrr

I have tried slicker brushes, soft brushes, etc. She hates the entire process & screams like I am killing her. She also has moves like a cobra & can bend back on herself in amazing ways.

NOt sure if there is a solution. venting.

I have clipped her in the past (pinned her down & did it as quickly as possible), but her extra crabbiness these days make me wonder if it will give her anxiety attack.

Get an animal/cat knowledgeable friend to help give her a lion cut. Or, there are grooming places that do lion cuts. If she's really uncomfortable, and needs to see a vet anyways, might be worth seeing if your vet will do grooming while she's there, or if you can find a traveling grooming service or vet that will do a lion cut on Ms. Thing.

Take her to the vet. Have the vet sedate cat. Have vet clip cat (or the vet's groomers) all over and close - not a shave, just a clip. Have vet reverse sedation.

Then, with treats in one hand and a wetted hand in the other stroke old kitty nice and soft so that she gets used to it. Keep repeating.

It works - well, we didnt have to clip my long-haired cat who hated being groomed. She got a thorough grooming by my groomer at the vets and came back a lot slimmer with a beautiful coat. She is now used to being groomed very gently and nicely - she is still not that fussed about it . I also have a pair of scissors in hand to get the knots that I just know wont be detanglable with that cat. Must give the vet/groomer a call soon to have the above repeated.
    Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

I have given her lion cuts yearly in the past, but I am just worried that she will do herself in this time b/c she is getting SO damn grouchy (she got sent home as too traumatized from vet groomers years ago)

Tranq is prob a good option. Thanks. Poor kitteh.

OP - I wouldnt do a thorough groom your cat (or mine ) without the deep sedation! I dont think it is fair on either cat or human. The first time, the vet practice had a vet nurse that was a really good cat groomer - who spent about 1.5 hours grooming my long haired cat under very heavy sedation. Sedation was via an IV drip .

So much for people saying "oh she loves to be groomed " - I had to explain the deep scratches up my arms, across my chest and, the odd time, across my lip!
    Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    but now she is even worse, and has arthritis in her hind end & is really sensitive in that area.

She looks like h*ll.

extra crabbiness these days
    She sounds to me like she's in pain & not feeling well, poor kitty.
    Please take her in for a thorough exam with sedation & the vet can clean up her coat as well
    Try alternate foods, foods can make a big difference in a cat's coat & matting.

My arthritic cat gets metacam for pain.

It sounds like your cat, who has never taken well to suffering, has been pushed over the edge by her arthritis pain. For grooming, or general quality of life, maybe it's time to check out pain meds.

She might not be happy or agreeable to grooming ever. But it would be an interesting experiment to take the edge of her pain for grooming and then see what you had in terms of better behavior. That might tell you how much she hurts all the time.

PS-- you can get this stuff in oral or sub-q injectable forms. Go with the latter for a cat. They were designed for sub-cutaneous delivery of medication and, as your cobra cat who pukes on suede boots indicates, they were not designed for oral delivery of medications.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

My recently departed Dear Old Lady always loved to be groomed. But she had been on every other day Metacam for the past - oh, three years? I agree that this med may help. (And funny you mention it, MVP, but she was on an oral liquid dose.)
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    (And funny you mention it, MVP, but she was on an oral liquid dose.)
    You have to ask for it.... like knowing the secret code word to get into the VIP room at a club where all the good drugs are.

But if you have a cat who is just medium sized (14#).... you have medicated horses.... and had your a$$ uncontrovertably kicked by that cat more than once while trying to use the mouth entrance.... you learn to ask for injectable stuff.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

MVP-
    I asked 2 vets last week about chronic pain stuff for cats & got weird, noncommmital answers from both. Right now she is on loading dose of glucosamine treats.

The sub q makes your rec EXTRA awesome, b/c everything I have ever given this girl comes up. It isn't what is going down, but the fact that it is me making it go down. Thanks!!