The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Supplement for lymphatic drainage?

White horse with head and perhaps body that puffs up. Likely lymph (vet has seen many times). Looking for something to help with lymphatic drainage. Human herbals don't seem to be helping. Any ideas?
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

I'll be interested to see what everyone's answers are. I have a gelding with chronic lymphangitis and feel like a supplement like this could be useful.

MSM and electrolytes significantly improved my mare's stocking up, for whatever that's worth.

There are many things for which a supplement is not the answer, contrary to what the supplement industry would have us think.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm not aware of anything for that specific issue, but if I had to speculate on a supplement that might hypothetically provide some benefit, I'd look into Omega 3 fatty acids.

Not really a suppliment, but something like a mild diuretic may help. Blood and kidney powder is able to be purchased at a tack store, but a low dose of furosemide or naquasone may be helpful.

I have to agree with alterhorse. My older guy (21) had hives all last spring and summer. I have not had an immune reaction since putting him on an omega 3 and anti-inflammatory supplement (2 separate supplements). I had felt that I was really dealing with an immune system that was failing.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    There are many things for which a supplement is not the answer, contrary to what the supplement industry would have us think.
    Yes, I agree, but we are struggling with options/ideas. If you have other ideas, pass them on, but we are running low.

Legs do not stock up, just head and body. legs are super tight/clean.

Owner prefers "all natural" but will try anything reasonable to help her horse. Omega-3s would likely be in her comfort zone, but I would need to understand the "why" behind it.

It does seem possible that horse's immune system is involved. I wanted to have an ANA test done, but owner wants to hold off on that now that the rest of her blood work is finally normal.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    Legs do not stock up, just head and body. legs are super tight/clean.
    Stocking up is usually related to issues in the lymphatic system, which is why I mentioned it. In my mare's case, she was out 24/7 so it was definitely not related to being stalled/lack of self exercise. The MSM cut the swelling by about half and the electrolytes sorted out the rest.

I don't have a why on it for you though -- the MSM was a hail mary attempt because nothing else was working, and the electrolytes were started because we were heading into Texas summer. But together it worked.

Lymph flows pretty much do to movement of skeletal muscle. Not much I can think of in terms of supplements that would do anything.

If the stocking up is due to water retention, then I would tell horse to lay off sodium & Chinese takeout.

Yes, I have already taken away her cell phone, so no more take out for her!

her head swelling goes down when inside, and is at its worst when she is brought in, so not sure it is due to (lack of) movement.

Damn, was hoping for some brilliant ideas. Horse really looks deformed and she is extra snorfully when her head is swollen (when ridden) and wants to lean down on the bit a little more which her owner doesn't like.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!