The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    They can swim, but they can't get OUT of the bucket, so they basically swim to death in the water.
    What a humane way to die. Frankly, I'd go for a snap trap before I'd resort to killing them via that way.

They can swim, but they can't get OUT of the bucket, so they basically swim to death in the water.
    Oh. Geez, I'd hate to run afoul of some of y'all.

I like Tom King's method. I've used it unintentionally, when I put some rubbermaid tubs on the back porch without their lids. I set them free in my field, so they can be coyote, fox and raptor chow as nature intended.
    Analytical thinking is the first casualty when opposing sides polarize, and that shows lack of common sense on both sides.
    Denny Emerson

Yes, they swim until they are too tired, then drown. Not too pleasant, I would think.

I know of a neighbor who tried glue traps to catch mice and ended up with a copperhead! I second or third a nice cat or wooden traps if you must.

OP - as someone earlier said, you need to close off any entry points - and this may not be as easy as it sounds... I had a mouse problem in my old house - heard them in the walls, in the attic, etc. I hired an exterminator guy, who went around the place on the outside, using a mirror under some of the siding, and other sleuth type methods to identify 19 openings, including one where the mouse was actually watching! Those were closed up and he then undertook a process of killing them off in the attic. I dont know how he did that, and really didn't care. My neighbor down the street called same guy a few months later - she had over 30 openings in a smaller house than mine. CALL SOMEONE and get it done once and correctly. It wasn't that expensive.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Normal snap traps in brown paper bags. You can see if somethings caught because the bag has moved on the floor. Pick up, throw away, don't see the mice.

(This coming from the girl who just took in a barn cat!)

I can't say enough about the battery operated electrocution traps. I have a rat sized one that I put in my feed room when critters start crawling around.

Four "c" batteries, put a little Purina Equine Senior in the back of the "cave-trap" and as the rat or mouse walks across the metal plates....ZAP he is dead.

I hate poison because as the mice or rats get out of the structure they are eaten by other critters - owls, hawks, snakes, barn cats, etc. and I would hate to think that they could also be poisoned.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Thanks everyone. They got rid of the glue traps and are trying snap traps, without any success.

I tried to tell them to plug any possible openings but I don't know if they have done that yet.

I'm aware of all the diseases/problems mice have. I know they need to be gone but I'm a sap and think they deserve to die a quick death.

A person who does not like cruelty to animals is not a 'sap' But the situation has to be remedied one way or another for all the above reasons.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique