The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

However, when the show organizers invite a mounted troop to demonstrate at a show, and said demonstration involves the whole troop discharging their pistols, management needs to rethink the program.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

The local hunt club used to hold three very large shows in the summer in our area, they number of entries has been falling away drastically, and largely due to sharing the show site with other activities that unsettles the horses.

One hear there was a bicycle race around the perimeter, and every time the pelleton came around several horses really freaked out rearing bolting riders falling etc.

The other show co incided with an mentally retarded persons walkathon. the horses were very disturbed by the unusually walking/acting people , and again there were several falls, and horses really not able to show to their best. When you budget and pay a lot of money to go to a rated show to try and get your scores, it can be very irritating to have lousy rides because the show did not warn you that they were sharing the grounds with thing. The horses are dressage horses, not police mounts or parade horses, they do not generally come up against baloons, bicycle races, shooting, or other disturbances.

a horse show in tennessee was sued when fireworks from the football homecoming game right next door so thoroughly disturbed the hroses that there was a fatal riding accident.

I cannot imagine having a horse show grounds adjacent to helicopters, firing ranges or any such things.

Quote Originally Posted by chisamba View Post

The other show co incided with an mentally retarded persons walkathon. the horses were very disturbed by the unusually walking/acting people , and again there were several falls, and horses really not able to show to their best.
    Seriously? Helicopters, fireworks and guns I can understand. But horses spooking because they see people walking and acting oddly ... that's a new one. It couldn't be that the humans ON the horses were the ones who were bothered .... naaaaaaahhhh.

I board at a club that has a trap shooting range a quarter mile away. You can hear it in the distance. We've had dressage shows, hunter jumpers, various things there and never had a complaint.

I've shown next to demolition derbies, train tracks and a lot of other pretty noisy operations and lived to tell the tale. I'm not particularly brave either.

OP, if you can take a poll of would-be exhibitors that might answer your question. For myself, from what I've seen of mounted shooting sports and if the competition was a block away, it wouldn't keep me from showing.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    No matter how far away the CMS folks are, and how minimal the noises, anyone who has a bad test will blame the organizers.
    That's for sure....

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    However, when the show organizers invite a mounted troop to demonstrate at a show, and said demonstration involves the whole troop discharging their pistols, management needs to rethink the program.
    Yep, not necessarily the brightest idea.

I think that what those who haven't experienced mounted shooting events are picturing is far different from the sound you'd be hearing. Just a short distance beyond the arena of the mounted event I attended it was FAR lower volume than traffic from nearby roads at most shows, for example, even if that roadway was just for horse trailers. Certainly quieter than loading/unloading of horses at a smaller facility. Again, I think it's smart for an organizer to plan at a different time because of the likelihood of reduced entries - but for a rider where that was going on, it shouldn't cause any problems, including for green and inexperienced horses. And I know about horses being overly naughty at shows...

On the other hand, apparently one of the recent shows in our area had a mud run going on in the field next to the show arenas (organizers did not know about this ahead of time I don't believe) and the mud run organizers decided their drunken, loud, yelling and screaming crowds should run *through* the barns. Apparently it was not a good situation...
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    Seriously? Helicopters, fireworks and guns I can understand. But horses spooking because they see people walking and acting oddly ... that's a new one. It couldn't be that the humans ON the horses were the ones who were bothered .... naaaaaaahhhh.

I board at a club that has a trap shooting range a quarter mile away. You can hear it in the distance. We've had dressage shows, hunter jumpers, various things there and never had a complaint.

I've shown next to demolition derbies, train tracks and a lot of other pretty noisy operations and lived to tell the tale. I'm not particularly brave either.

OP, if you can take a poll of would-be exhibitors that might answer your question. For myself, from what I've seen of mounted shooting sports and if the competition was a block away, it wouldn't keep me from showing.
    why dont you walk into your field and purposefully walk in an ungainly manner and see what your horses do. I think they found the humans, who were supposed to act in a predictable manner, and did not, more disturbing than something completely strange. ( i would like to point out that my horse did not care about either, the walkathon, or the bicycles, but there were horses that were terrified)

Quote Originally Posted by chisamba View Post
    why dont you walk into your field and purposefully walk in an ungainly manner and see what your horses do. I think they found the humans, who were supposed to act in a predictable manner, and did not, more disturbing than something completely strange. ( i would like to point out that my horse did not care about either, the walkathon, or the bicycles, but there were horses that were terrified)
    My horses would just laugh at me.

I have no doubt that some horses were bothered by the situation. My horse lost his mind over a baby in a carriage at ring side. He also got bug-eyed at a person on crutches. But he got over it because I made him get over it.

I am not a bold rider -- not by any stretch of the imagination. I get OFF if I think all hell is about to break loose.

But there is a certain point at which you have to take ownership of your horse's reactions. If some riders are less willing to do that, then it's on them, not the show organizers, when their horses just cannot cope with something that, while not exactly the norm, isn't extreme.

And as Ghazzu pointed out, these are same exhibitors who will look for any excuse if they have a bad test.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think that when you show there is "reasonable distraction" and "unreasonable distraction".

Tractors, kids running, dogs, traffic, etc. falls into the "reasonable distraction" category that a horse needs to deal with.

For me, gunfire is not something that I am interested in dealing with at a horse show. As a show organizer, I would think that falls into the "unreasonable distraction" category. You don't want to set people up to have a bad experience.

I work very hard to have my horses desensitized and working well, paying attention to the rider, for this reason.
    I have been to shows with cows next door, marching band practices, etc.. and not had a problem because I take the time to expose my horses to things.

I think if we work to change the mentality of people then it wouldn't be a problem, but there are a lot of sheltered riders and horses, unfortunately. Personally, I like having horses I know wont spook or freak out over the little things. If you take the time to desensitize the horse in a controlled environment (way less scary for the people involved), then things like dogs, umbrellas and yes, shooting, that can happen at shows are not a big deal. Desensitization work also builds trust in the horse towards the rider/handler.

Many people who have bad tests blame the organizers regardless of mounted shooting next doors.

1 members found this post helpful.