The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Seeking advice for suitable sport horse eventing stallion in Western Canada please

I have a 5 year old 15hh connemara x welsh mare. She sustained a leg injury in December that will have her off work for at least 12 months. I decided that I would breed her this Spring with the aim to produce a good future eventing prospect for me.

I did considerable research into a suitable sire and decided to go with frozen semen and AI from a 7/8th TB proven advanced eventing stallion in the UK. This stallion has very strong sire and dam lines that I felt would provide good breeding lines for the foal. My mare has an excellent temperment and is a good looking mare with ability.

However, after two AI attempts and a lot of money down the drain I am rethinking options. She is a madien mare and although the frozen semen is showing 45% mobility she is not conceiving.

I feel that rather than continuing to try this route that I will be better to try live cover to increase her chances to conceive. I am looking for recommendations for excellent sport horse stallions in Alberta or perhaps a little further afield. I would like predominately TB but does not have to be 100% TB. A stallion that is proven himself or has proven offspring is desireable, as is excellent confirmation, paces, temperment. Around 16.2hh in height with good bone and feet.

All thoughts and suggestions welcome. A Fine Romance would be ideal but a bit too far for me to send her to.

Thanks in advance.

1 members found this post helpful.

You might check out Drogheda Farms's Stallions: http://www.droghedafarm.com/standing.html

Did your vet use the oxytocin protocol when breeding your mare? It is a well recommended requirement when breeding with frozen. I have unfortunately found in Alberta, very few vets (even some of the ones that call themselves "repro vets") really don't know what they are doing. Sigh! It was really frustrating for me a few years back...so I started doing my own work and have had much better success than the vets ever did.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

2 members found this post helpful.

I happened to find this link in your area but I have no clue about this stallion. He's the grandson of Secretariat including top names for a sportshorse: http://www.stallionsnow.com/stallion-ad-651051

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

You might do a road trip and look at Lanciano, German TB who is approved Trak and standing in Alberta. I don't know if he's got get who are actually performing, but IIRC, he is standing for Formosus who posts here. IIRC, he's fairly light, but German TBs (and he's 3/4 German) are more durable than most light boned NA TBs. JMO

It's really a lovely pedigree for sport.
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/lanciano
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

1 members found this post helpful.

Here's Tribute stands in Alberta http://jwequine.com/heros-tribute/
    Equine Web Design http://www.tbconnect.net | Kingsgate Stud home of Legal Jousting (IRE)

Their website isn't working but there is aphone number
    http://irishdraught.com/horses/profile.php?unid=1742

ID's and IDSH's cross well with Connemaras
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Did your vet use the oxytocin protocol when breeding your mare? It is a well recommended requirement when breeding with frozen. I have unfortunately found in Alberta, very few vets (even some of the ones that call themselves "repro vets") really don't know what they are doing. Sigh! It was really frustrating for me a few years back...so I started doing my own work and have had much better success than the vets ever did.
    Yes they did use oxytoxcin both times with her. It is too bad that the Alberta vets do not offer a fixed cost breeding package like some other places do. As the cost gets out of control very quickly and without success :-( it can be very disheartening overall.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by K~2 View Post
    You have to assume that if Judy Wardrope is part owner of a stud that he must have exemplary conformation for sport as well as a worthy pedigree.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by JB Eventer View Post
    Yes they did use oxytoxcin both times with her. It is too bad that the Alberta vets do not offer a fixed cost breeding package like some other places do. As the cost gets out of control very quickly and without success :-( it can be very disheartening overall.
    Was the frozen semen you used proven? Sorry if you know all of this already...just trying to cover all the bases in case your mare is not the problem. Even if the frozen semen motility was 45%, if the frozen semen has never resulted in actual pregnancies, you have no way of telling whether the frozen semen will be viable. Approximately 30% of all stallions who are frozen will not have frozen semen that results in pregnancies. Those stallions could have the best fresh shipped semen on the planet and high First Cycle Conception Rates, but have frozen semen that will never result in any pregnancies.

Do you mind me asking which vet you used? You can PM me.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Have you tried fresh semen? It's usually easier and most cost effective to deal with and should have a higher rate. I also agree with the comment about the semen being proven.

If the semen was proven and you have a good repro vet, I'd be looking more at the mare being the issue, not then semen.
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

Quote Originally Posted by K~2 View Post
    Thanks, he looks quite lovely. Does anyone know much about him? Seems to have some good sport horse bloodlines but perhaps quite a few generations back.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    You have to assume that if Judy Wardrope is part owner of a stud that he must have exemplary conformation for sport as well as a worthy pedigree.
    I have emailed Judy for more details on him. Quite lovely stallion from photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_007 View Post
    Have you tried fresh semen? It's usually easier and most cost effective to deal with and should have a higher rate. I also agree with the comment about the semen being proven.

If the semen was proven and you have a good repro vet, I'd be looking more at the mare being the issue, not then semen.
    Thanks, at this point I have only tried frozen. Fresh from the stallion in the UK is not an option due to shipping / timing so I would need to seek an alternative anyway. I feel that live cover might be the better route to go now.

There are not as many sport horse stallions willing to do live cover. But there are a ton of great stallions in Canada you could get fresh semen from. Dreamscape farms has a good selection. I don't know if you want a smaller horse but I believe dreamscape even has a pony stallion along with their big stallions. I think fresh would give you similiar reliability as live cover and most owners have proven 1st breed rates on healthy mares...
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

Hmm... have you looked at Quidam Blue (Equitop)?. He is a nice boy and I can attest to his good rideability as his rider used to bring him over to our place for lessons. Bon Balou at Dreamscape could work ?

I am with Daventry though, the semen can look great but still be useless. I have a feeling that might have been the case?

Anyways, I am no eventing breeder but am an Alberta breeder who understands where you are coming from with the frozen thing. Can be very frustrating and I think we all go through that initial trial and error (major bucks down the drain) phase.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

It took three tries with frozen both times I bred my mare...and I wanted to give up after the second one too She did finally end up pregnant both times, when she was good and ready.

One minor thing to consider is that we had a really, really long winter and Spring is only really here now in Alberta. Not sure if that has a measurable impact on fertility or not, but it might be worth trying just one more, with "ideal" conditions.

I do like Pellegrino for sport, he has the running record that I was kind of looking for in the back-of-my-mind plan to breed an Endurance Ango-Arab one day. I am also really liking the sound of Gayego for sport, he's at Bar None. They are requiring approval for mares, and not sure how they feel about non-TB mares (or non-race breeding.)
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

What about Persian Star, standing at Cordova Farm in Clinton, BC? He is a TB who has produced many good jumpers and some eventers, with good temperaments - one that is 3/4 bred, Princeton Pride, went to NAYRC and was going CCI2** last I heard (brought up the levels by a young rider).

I know the owner (she posts here occasionally as NancyM) and she is extremely straight-forward and would be easy to discuss with whether he would be suitable for your mare. http://cordovafarm.weebly.com/stallion-at-stud.html
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Songline is in Ontario

Also have a look at Galten Farms stallions.

Thanks for your suggestions. I think I will stay closer to Alberta as I do want to try live cover. If I do fresh semen then I am heading back into more expensive vet fees for the AI and if she still doesn't take I still need to pay the vet bill :-)

Does anyone have any thoughts of the TB stallion Smile Again located in Edmonton? There is not much information on him but I did see two ex-racehorses for sale by him last summer and they looked like nice types.

His pedigree goes back to a lot of sport horses:
    http://www.warmbloods.ca/June%20Sale...Again%20xx.pdf

Breeding at:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/smile+again