The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Quick question about Pentosan

Dosage is 6ml IM, right?

So ordering 50 ml gets you about 8 doses? 5 to 7 days apart?

Adequan is backordered until WhoKnowsWhen so I'm thinking of ordering Pentosan but am not familiar with it.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Dose is weight specific, 6ml is probably the most common dosage however. My guy gets 7ccs. One dose every week for four weeks then as needed. For my guy that is every week to two weeks but he is 25.

My horse is a small 15.1h Tb and she was dosed 6ml with Adequan, so that sounds right.
    Thanks!

where are you guys ordering your pentosan from?
    thanks in advance!

I get Sophie's from Wedgewood. Ordered a bottle Thurs, received it Saturday. You do need a prescription
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Hey Sophie - How is Charm doing? I miss your stories about her over on the BB. I have my 19 year old gelding on Pentosan,. We started out with 6 ml every 2 weeks as a loading dose, though I can't remember if we did 6 or 8 weeks before we switched to once monthly. He has one hock that gives him some trouble and I can't afford to inject his hocks twice a year, so I figured I'd try it. It's made a huge difference for him, DD#3 is still eventing him.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

I ordered it from HorsePreRace. No prescription needed.
    Chism - lol, who might you be? Charm was doing great but has been lame off and on for the past month or so. Hence the Pentosan. I really hope it will do the trick, because I'm having even more fun with her now than she has calmed down a bit

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    I ordered it from HorsePreRace. No prescription needed.
    Chism - lol, who might you be? Charm was doing great but has been lame off and on for the past month or so. Hence the Pentosan. I really hope it will do the trick, because I'm having even more fun with her now than she has calmed down a bit
    LOL - We both go by other names on the yellow board. Lets see if you can figure out who I am. Years ago we rode out together with 4corners to a fairground track in Western Mass near the big E. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of it and it's killing me, but CANTER was offering help placing the horses at the end of the meet. Remember me yet?

Sorry to hear she's been off. ;( The nice thing about TB"s is that they have so much try...and a little bit of help can go a long way to keeping them going for years. Hopefully, you can figure out what's going on with her. What sorts of diagnostic work have you done?
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

YES! now I remember! I even remember your other username! What are you up to these days?

Diagnostic... it is SO similar to what she's had in the past that I'm going to do what we did then and see what happens. That 1st time, years ago, I took her to the clinic and had a battery of Xrays done. Vet said he thought it was a deep bone bruise, but also that she might not come back 100% considering how bad her xrays were (navicular changes et al). He recommended shoeing her with wedge pads for 2 months, and give her a round dose of Adequan shots. We did that. It was right before I had to leave to see my family. When I got back, she was sound and had never moved better!

She's been totally fine since then, except once a few years after that but she got better with just shoeing her with full pads.

So, that is my plan. She now has full pads and will get the Pentosan, and hopefully she'll be sound for one or 2 hunter paces. If not, she'll have 8 weeks off anyway because I am going abroad. If she's still NQR when I get back, I'll have the vet Xray her foot. My old vet moved too far away for me to keep using him *sigh* but I'll see if I can get those first Xrays from his old practice, for comparison.

The standard dose is 3mg/kg IM.

My horse is a small 15.1h Tb and she was dosed 6ml with Adequan, so that sounds right.
    Thanks!
    What does the dose of Adequan have to do with anything?
    Click here before you buy.

What do you think?

What do I think? I have no idea--sounds on the surface like there is some really careless decision-making going on about using a drug with no idea of how it's dosed, without a vet's input, and without a firm diagnosis. But that's simply an impression based upon what's posted here.

The dose of Adequan, for the record, has NOTHING to do with the dose of Pentosan. What would make you think there is any relationship whatsoever?
    Click here before you buy.

That is indeed an impression.
    Carry on.

Thank you to all!

That seems a bit harsh DW.

Carrying on..
    Sophie - Mine is a delicate flower when it comes to his feet. A stone bruise can put him out of commission for a month. We had to switch to full pads years ago because he'd bruise if he looked at a rock. Poor DD lost 6 weeks of riding/competing two springs ago when mud packed up under a pad and caused sole bruising. In regards to the dosage, he's very similar in size to Charm. 15'1 on a good day, fine boned and the dosage is 6ml. However...just as an aside..the last time my vet was going to leave me Pentosan at the barn, she texted me that it might be awhile before she could get it again. We have not caught up to each other since, so I'm not sure what that means. . He's not due for another shot til next week. I just pulled out the vial she left me and it's not Pentosan, it's PentAussie which is 125/mg Polysulfate Sodium & 200mg Glucosamine. I'll have to ask her what the reason was for the switch, but I'm wondering if it has something to do with the lack of availability she alluded to.

Chism - I hope Pentosan doesn't become hard to get the way Adequan is right now!
    I ordered some today, I hope to get it on Wedn. It's regular Pentosan, Sodium pentosan polysulfate 250 mg/mL.
    I've heard of PentAussie. Is your vet using it the same way as Pentosan then? I hope it works as well for your guy!