Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Phew...Holding of breath continues, as does crossing of fingers. Hang on, Ava!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Made it through the night! We are on the start of Day 308! Keeping my fingers crossed she continues to hang on!
    www.PVDARideforLife.org Recognized Show/Benefit. Proceeds go to JHU Avon Foundation Breast Center June 22 & 23, 2013

(http://store.pvda.org/) - Great Items with an Equine BC Ribbon Theme!!!

I am doing the exact same thing with my maiden mare. Started a small bag at day 270, had her ultrasounded and CTUP normal but we started her on TMS/Regumate/Pentoxifylline right away. I have already lost one foal at 8 months this year so I am feeling a but gun shy and not taking chances. Still has only about 1/3-1/2 a bag now but has been dripping wax since day 300. Another ultrasound and CTUP good, no separation. Today we are day 307 and keeping my fingers crossed she hangs on for a while yet. If I took away the fact she is dripping wax she does not "look" ready to foal in my case. Udder was only 1/4 full this morning, she has no relaxation of the hindend yet so I am praying she still has a ways to go yet. But man they can sure stress us out!
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

1 members found this post helpful.

Cindy - looks like we are both hanging in there around the same day! Finishing up day 308 and I am thankful she seems relaxed - but heck she is so stoic that really isn't a good indicator.

Ava's udder is full and tight. She looks like she could pop and everything is so relaxed and elongated, it really is just a matter of days. My vets are thrilled she made it though the weekend because we truly didn't expect her to. So every day is one day closer to a healthy delivery!
    www.PVDARideforLife.org Recognized Show/Benefit. Proceeds go to JHU Avon Foundation Breast Center June 22 & 23, 2013

I hope she hangs in there a bit longer for you! My mare honestly does NOT look ready. Her udder is still fairly small, no relaxation of the hindend to speak of but why the heck she is dripping wax is beyond me! I have only ever had them drip from a full/tight udder. So if it wasn't for the wax I would think she still has a number of weeks to go, with the wax I am just not taking chances. She is out during the day on pasture but in with her foaling alarm at night just in case. But I am very thankful for each day the foal is still in there cooking!
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

Sending jingles for you both, KEEP COOKING, mares!!

Every day that goes by gives you hope (I remember sweating it out when my mare had placentitis--and being in the unenviable position of wishing for time to pass...)

Keep us posted, please!

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Today is 309 and we are still holding on! Last time we made day 313.... not too far off! Perhaps she will hold on past 320. But the way she looks, seriously, I mean she is ready. My vets are very surprised. They did NOT anticipate her holding on through the weekend.

Hoping all goes well! Fingers crossed.

Today is 310. Tonight she is swishing her tail and looking a bit pissy. She was in her stall most of the day when she had the option of going into the paddock - a little unusual for her. She was also sweaty around her barrel, flanks and belly/udder. I know it is a little warm, but my barn is cool inside so she shouldn't be damp, unless....

Have not tested her yet today. Will update

Quote Originally Posted by oppsie2 View Post
    Day 307! YEAH! Holding on the same pattern. No changes. Who knows?!?! Maybe she will really shock us and make it close to 340 (unlikely, but one can wish!).
    Phew!! "No news is good news" (or so I figured when I didn't get an update today...) How many times can I say "phew?"

With luck, for another 7ish days or so.

311... no baby, no change in mild counts BUT I DID have to have the vet out...
    for my yearling out of this mare. The darn goat is bothering her while she eats and so today she bolted her grain and of course she got choke. Both DH & I were going on 2 different field trips with the boys and I had to leave way early. Thankfully he didn't have to leave for some time. Dani cleared the choke herself, but the vet still came and made sure she was ok, which she was. So another exciting day on the farm(ette).

No rest for the worried...

At least she is continuing to hang in there, and thank goodness Dani is okay!

ha! made it to day 313!!!!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Yay! Continued prayers and jingles.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Day 314--and still "no news is good news??"

Uh, huh! She is looking more and more like she wants to go, but thankfully she is holding on. She is so stoic (like her dam) so it is hard to tell when she is in any discomfort.

I need to get a photo and post.... she is covered in mud right now as she went and had a goooood roll this am!

She's really making you sweat it out! What do the strips say?

Well the ones I bought the company wont tell me which block means what. Says it is patent pending and the "only" strips made exclusively for horses. The blocks based on what the color chart says is that she has an 85% chance of foaling within 24-48 hours - same thing it has been saying for some time (as in over a week).

I emailed the company and the owner says she just can't give me any more details other than if the colors say 85% chance, then it should happen... well have to say I don't think I can recommend that company for foaling strips.

I might run up to Walmart shortly and buy some pool strips. I will need them this summer anyway, may as well see if I get any better detail. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by oppsie2 View Post
    Well the ones I bought the company wont tell me which block means what. Says it is patent pending and the "only" strips made exclusively for horses. The blocks based on what the color chart says is that she has an 85% chance of foaling within 24-48 hours - same thing it has been saying for some time (as in over a week).

I emailed the company and the owner says she just can't give me any more details other than if the colors say 85% chance, then it should happen... well have to say I don't think I can recommend that company for foaling strips.

I might run up to Walmart shortly and buy some pool strips. I will need them this summer anyway, may as well see if I get any better detail. ;-)
    Very frustrating! :-/ And getting the pool strips from Walmart sounds like a good idea, especially as you "need them anyway", because you KNOW that if you leave to go buy them, she will subsequently foal in your absence

I too used those Foal Predictor strips....on 2 maiden mares this year. First time using them..
    Both mares sat at the 85% for days. However when they did move to the 95% stage they both did foal with in 24 hours.
    Couldn't get any info out of the person who developed/sold them. Bit frustrating to me.
    I also used pH and Ca pool strips....I found them more informative as I could see the progression...when the pH bottomed out 6.2...butter yellow.. ...on the strips I used their milk had gone *really* white and sweet and both foaled the next day...Both day time foalings too!
    The Ca was a tad less accurate...as my strips went from 400ppm to 800ppm with nothing inbetween.
    Best of luck with your mare...and may she hang on well past 320 days <smile>
    Martha
    Breeder of Quality and Colour
    Tobiano Pinto Sporthorses
    www.jmrpintos.com