The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Default HE's HERE! Letting go... Friday pg 19

Last year my 12 year old maiden mare waxed up at day 292. Had her checked for placentitis and all was well. She foaled on day 313. The filly, while needing some medical attention for the first few days, is now a HEALTHY, almost yearling (May 17th is her b-day).

We re-bred the mare, mid-July and have a 320-340 due date of June 8-28.

Last year I purchased the Mother Nature's Mare Foaling Predictor Kit, which my vet said he had not known to be as reliable as another kit which has been on the market and tested for a longer period. Last year when I used this kit at 3:30pm it said my mare had a 95% chance of foaling within 12-24 hours... She foaled around 5pm.

The mare is HUGE. As in HUGE. Her belly dropped some time back. Her flanks are soft, vulva is elongated and the milk is clear with a yellow tint and the consistency of a light syrup. Yes, I tasted it, no real taste, but my taste buds are whacked out.

I drew up 1/2cc of milk, mixed with 3cc of distilled water and dipped the stick in and it says 85% chance.... SERIOUSLY??? AGAIN????? I mean, what is with this mare?

I am having panic attacks. Is she REALLY gonna foal THIS early? Or was the last time I used the test kit a fluke and the mare is really going to hold on longer?

Would you start preparing the stall? I am 50/50 on it. UGH.

Dr Doolittle and ZuZu - I NEED you, talk me down and keep me calm. Send me liquor!
    Last edited by oppsie2; Jun. 21, 2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: update
    www.PVDARideforLife.org Recognized Show/Benefit. Proceeds go to JHU Avon Foundation Breast Center June 22 & 23, 2013

(http://store.pvda.org/) - Great Items with an Equine BC Ribbon Theme!!!

Sorry, I can't help you as I am not familiar with that product. Regardless, I would want to know what the pH is, can you get some test strips from Walmart or a pool store? Is her bag full and her udders pointing outward instead of straight down or towards each other?

No help as I haven't resorted to milk testing yet, but lots of jingles and I'm having a beer for you

Oh boy, oppsie!!

Have you called the vet?? Any chance she has placentitis? Man, talk about "nervous wreck-ville"...

Hang in there and please keep us posted (and you can have a Bloody Mary, right? After all--it's Mother's Day!)
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

I've used both the predict a foal kit and pool strips. I have found both to be predictable. However, it is not only the change in calcium and pH but also how rapidly the change occurs. For example, I am on serious watch tonight as my mare has been ph=9, ca~100 for 2 weeks straight. Tonight pH=7ish and ca~250. Rapid change so more likely versus a slow change over the course of a few days.

Good luck! I too am a nervous wreck tonight!!!! This is the part I HATE about breeding.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Congratulations Blume Farm!!!

Ok, I have rechecked my dates... mare was bred July 15 & 16th, 2012. Her correct dates are June 12 - 22nd, 2013. Today she is on day 301.

I did the milk test again just now and it says 95% chance within 12-24 hours.

Vet is coming in the AM to give her her 30 day shots. We figure the mare will foal this week. Just what I needed, I am on bunny watch and foal watch all in the same couple of days. My sons 4H rabbits are due anytime after tomorrow.
    www.PVDARideforLife.org Recognized Show/Benefit. Proceeds go to JHU Avon Foundation Breast Center June 22 & 23, 2013

Sounds like she may be aborting. Jingles for you both.

Equine Reproduction will you weigh in here?

Laurie, she isn't in any distress. There is no discharge. This is a mare who went early before and it just may be her pattern. Thanks for the encouragement ;-)

Vet is on her way as I type. We will check her for placentis and basically if we don't get a clear result, I think we will treat as such. The longer we let this baby bake, the better.

301 days is very premature as I am sure you know. You still have a long way to go before in the "safe" zone. I hope your test is wrong and she holds on long enough for the foal to have a chance.

Any update on your mare?
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

1 members found this post helpful.

Today is 305. Vet came out on Wednesday and checked her out. She didn't feel/see abnormalities in the placenta, no discharge from vulva, cervix looked tight so she was pretty confident that things are just on the fast tract for this mare again without health issues (as far as placentitis).

We gave her the 30 day shots and are just keeping a close eye on her. My vet said she thought the bagging was more edema than milk coming in, even though milk comes out when her udders are squeezed. There was no waxing or milk dripping as there was last year. So basically it is a wait and see....

My vet let me know she does have frozen plasma on hand as well as some colostrum IF we need it (of course that means that IF someone else doesn't need it first and she can still get it in if we do, blah blah).

This AM I went down to groom my poor girl and she is hanging in the stall, nice and quiet. She has the ability to go outside, but was just relaxing inside. I gave her a mid-day snack which she appreciated - what pregnant woman doesn't want to eat?!

The one thing I noticed is that today we have waxing. I knocked some off and did the milk test and it was clear that the results I got at the beginning of the week were different in color than what I got today. At the beginning of the week it was much slower to change color and the red box ( I have to figure out which one that is) was pinker and today it was bright red.

So I do think she will go early. HOPEFULLY she can hang on for another week or so, but I highly doubt it. I will take some pics and try to post later.

Keep us in your thoughts for healthy foaling!

1 members found this post helpful.

Today is 305. Vet came out on Wednesday and checked her out. She didn't feel/see abnormalities in the placenta, no discharge from vulva, cervix looked tight so she was pretty confident that things are just on the fast tract for this mare again without health issues (as far as placentitis).

We gave her the 30 day shots and are just keeping a close eye on her. My vet said she thought the bagging was more edema than milk coming in, even though milk comes out when her udders are squeezed. There was no waxing or milk dripping as there was last year. So basically it is a wait and see....

My vet let me know she does have frozen plasma on hand as well as some colostrum IF we need it (of course that means that IF someone else doesn't need it first and she can still get it in if we do, blah blah).

This AM I went down to groom my poor girl and she is hanging in the stall, nice and quiet. She has the ability to go outside, but was just relaxing inside. I gave her a mid-day snack which she appreciated - what pregnant woman doesn't want to eat?!

The one thing I noticed is that today we have waxing. I knocked some off and did the milk test and it was clear that the results I got at the beginning of the week were different in color than what I got today. At the beginning of the week it was much slower to change color and the red box ( I have to figure out which one that is) was pinker and today it was bright red.

So I do think she will go early. HOPEFULLY she can hang on for another week or so, but I highly doubt it. I will take some pics and try to post later.

Keep us in your thoughts for healthy foaling!

Prayers,jingles and the best of luck for your mare and foal.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Is the "milk" actual milk or clear?
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Ok, we are on day 306.

Ava is waxing up, udders and teats full of milk along with the edema.

Yesterday evenings test strip changed FAST to 85%. Today it looks less likely BUT when I expressed her for the test she came out fast and full.

What came out sort of freaked me out a bit - it was less like milk and more like snot. Yellow, thick, chunky - just like a nice summer cold - SNOT. BLECH. No smell, no odd flavor but it worried me enough to call the vet. She says it is her colostrum.

Our plan is that before I test her, I clean her teats with warm water, just express a little bit for the test (which is what I have been doing) and if there is any leakage or she starts to drip, then it is time to collect her in the bottles I have just sterilized.

I purchased a bag of powdered colostrum to keep on hand. My vet has a small supply of frozen available (of course it is first come first served if someone else has to get it before me). AND they have several bags of frozen plasma in case that is needed as well.

My emergency kit is ready, stall is bedded down nicely with straw and my bottle of wine is in the fridge cooling off. Cell phone charged, Dr Doolittle's number on hand for tears of JOY (we hope) and prepared (have a plan set in my mind which I shared with my vet) in case the outcome isn't what we hope.

Still need all the good luck I can get at this point.

Thinking of you!
    Best of luck and good wishes from Colorado.

Wishing you and your mare the best of luck!! {{Positive Vibes}}

Day 307! YEAH! Holding on the same pattern. No changes. Who knows?!?! Maybe she will really shock us and make it close to 340 (unlikely, but one can wish!).

2 members found this post helpful.