The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

This sounds so similar to my colt who turned out to have a broken pelvis. His worst sores were on his hocks so we used a pressure bandage from the hocks down. On the hip you will probably need elasticon and/or gorilla tape. Glad to hear he is heading in the right direction.

Standing and healing jingles it is. On to 2 digit days!

So glad you're getting a little break.

Could you protect the pressure sores by padding with a diaper, or big gauze sponges, and then holding them in place by wrapping brown gauze around him? You could secure the edges with elasticon as needed. More jingles from California.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Continued Jingling from Texas

On a flight to Germany once there was a horse traveling with us that was a terrible shipper. He did ok on the plane but in the trailer or lorry he would try to throw himself down quite violently. Since he was a fit as a fiddle event horse w/ out much meat on his bones he would get terrible awful hip wounds from traveling. His groom fashioned several shipping sheets for him (one a fly scrim and one a stable sheet) that she has sewn padded rings around the hip area. It worked for him.

I know putting a sheet on a foal is a whole 'nother can of worms but thought it was worth mentioning.

Sending lot's of jingles and strong healing wishes your way!
    Nani Lio Farm, LLC
    www.naniliofarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    This sounds so similar to my colt who turned out to have a broken pelvis. His worst sores were on his hocks so we used a pressure bandage from the hocks down. On the hip you will probably need elasticon and/or gorilla tape. Glad to hear he is heading in the right direction.
    Follow up questions: how was this diagnosed, X-ray? Did they do it on the farm?
    and he did he grow up to be rideable?

It was diagnosed by palpation as a three year old. He was in race training but kept coming up sore after a timed workout. Vet was able to feel "something" I don't remember if it was a thickening or an uneven spot. I retired him and donated him to a rescue. He was riding sound just not for racing. In hindsight I should have xrayed his pelvis as a foal.

Oppsie2, did the vet take an x-ray of his pelvis? That sounds easier to do (than on a horse) considering he's a foal.

Default Ok ~ I know this ! Get an inflatable hemorrhoid cushion and ...

ok !!! I know this "exercise" !
    used with our sick Aussie, Skye ~

you will need an
    inflatable HEMORRHOID cushion ~ drug store or Walmart ~

takes practice but positioned under the hip keep pressure off sores

also a large piece of foam to cut donuts out of ~ according to size needed as sores heal ~

a spot of * super glue will hold foam donuts in place for awhile ~ north and south spots of glue ...

sorry instructions are brief = no computer / phone due to storms ... tough to type on iPhone !

​hope this helps ~ Jingles & AO continue !!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Just had a chance to read this entire thread -- sounds like you are almost out of the woods! Sending my (belated) jingles that this continues. I have my one (and only) foal this year due 7/13, but I doubt she'll wait that long.

This time is always SO stressful for a breeder -- it's like you are holding your breath till the foal is born and both mom/babe are deemed ok. It's both the best & the worst time for a breeder.

Again, I wish you good luck and hope that your little D-Day gets on track soon and with no lasting complications!

Sunday jingles...

Sunday send up and jingles. Glad you are receiving help!

This was for an adult horse but I've treated pressure sores with aluminum spray over a spray to clean/disinfect. I also modified a flysheet by sewing patches in the area that had a sore. The patches were cut from a fake sheepskin dog bed cover

Sunday pm....

Well while D-Day continues to eat and be very alert, he still isn't standing up without assistance. I know my vet said it could be several weeks, but I don't know how much more laying down his little body can take.

I took him outside again today for is walk. Washed his back legs, behind and sores really well. Put his cream on them and did my best to bandage the one on his hip that will end up scarring. We put him on my Irish Setters dog beds tonight. He looks so cute sleeping on them. Ava is fine without him at this point, so we left her in the paddock where she can see him. When we go down for his 11 pm feeding, if all is well, she will stay out tonight and he can sleep on the dog beds.

I am also concerned about his little front legs being so crooked. They were nice and straight. I will talk to the vet and maybe my farrier to see if we can do something to help stablize his legs.

I am starting to second guess all my choices. The vets assure me he is making great progress. They can't predict the future, but they say if he continues with the progress, that he should be fine for riding. Of course there is no way to know that, we can't tell ever when we breed, can we.

I am just not sure. How do I know I am doing the right thing? I am just so disillusioned right now.
    www.PVDARideforLife.org Recognized Show/Benefit. Proceeds go to JHU Avon Foundation Breast Center June 22 & 23, 2013

(http://store.pvda.org/) - Great Items with an Equine BC Ribbon Theme!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by oppsie2 View Post
    Sunday pm....

Well while D-Day continues to eat and be very alert, he still isn't standing up without assistance. I know my vet said it could be several weeks, but I don't know how much more laying down his little body can take.

I took him outside again today for is walk. Washed his back legs, behind and sores really well. Put his cream on them and did my best to bandage the one on his hip that will end up scarring. We put him on my Irish Setters dog beds tonight. He looks so cute sleeping on them. Ava is fine without him at this point, so we left her in the paddock where she can see him. When we go down for his 11 pm feeding, if all is well, she will stay out tonight and he can sleep on the dog beds.

I am also concerned about his little front legs being so crooked. They were nice and straight. I will talk to the vet and maybe my farrier to see if we can do something to help stablize his legs.

I am starting to second guess all my choices. The vets assure me he is making great progress. They can't predict the future, but they say if he continues with the progress, that he should be fine for riding. Of course there is no way to know that, we can't tell ever when we breed, can we.

I am just not sure. How do I know I am doing the right thing? I am just so disillusioned right now.
    oppsie, I know this is discouraging , but try not to give up hope quite yet; there have been *so* many foal success stories on the Breeding Forum--they never cease to amaze me!; try to take inspiration from them if you can. Babies seem to heal and survive many "questionable beginnings", even when it seems impossible that they will prevail, heal, and be okay in the end. While vulnerable, they are often also tough, malleable, resilient, and able to overcome the initial odds against them. You must be exhausted, poor thing!

Trust in your vets, it sounds like they are not ready to give up. Try to hang in there...Hugs and jingles to you and to little D-Day, this is such a difficult time, and I only wish I could be there in person to handhold and help.

As my wise husband always says: "Horses are a headache and a heartache", but they give us so much joy--and so enrich our lives while they're here--that it always seems worth it when we have to endure the inevitable tough times.

Hug 'em while you've got 'em. And don't give up!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

2 members found this post helpful.

oppsie2 - not a breeder and don't know much about foals, but just wanted to send a cyber-hug in your direction. I've been following this since the birth, and I can't imagine the stress and worry that you must be dealing with. I do understand the second guessing, many of us have been there w/ one animal or another. It does not sound to me like he is in pain? That would be one big factor in the decision process. I also was wondering if there is clinic that you could bring him to for maybe a week or so? Obviously not cheap, but it would give you a break and have him under medical watch pretty much 24/7, possibly help for the legs? UGH I wish there were something we all could do besides just a moral support group. Hang in there and update when you can.
    Jingles from Florida.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Continued jingles for the little fella. Would some Rejuvenaide perhaps be beneficial for him?
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Still sending serious jingles!!

I know you are getting mentally wiped out Look how far he's come though! Trust your vets - if they think this is great progress, then I'd be all over that

I would absolutely have him on Rejuvenaide (Progressive) or Buckeye's Foal Aide. Definitely.

Agree wholeheartedly with the Rejuvenaide although I put all my foals on it so that is a given. It's hard to say but my money is still on broken pelvis. I would urge you to xray for that except even if you knew that were the problem I don't know that there would be anything you could do differently from what you are currently doing so there may be no point. My colt did fine after the first few weeks, wish I could remember exactly how long it took. The biggest headache was the wounds but even those healed with small bilateral scars.

My offer still stands if you think I can be of any help, even if it is simply to see if the picture I am seeing in my head truly matches what my colt looked like. I can come tomorrow even. Jingles for everyone involved.

2 members found this post helpful.

More jingles from Ohio.

Jus keep on keepin' on, OP. Don't doubt yourself. Everything'll end up okay.