The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

I'm also following Oopsie's thread and feel pretty cheerful with the latest news. I'm in Great Falls, VA but may also be able to come and help if you need a rest. I'll be out of town from Thurs - Sun but home for three weeks after that, mostly taking care of my own new foal. Beginning to think of our farm as Laurel Leaf Neo-natal Neigh Care Center, lol!

Thanks for the new update-- Jingling now for news that he latches-- and you and D-day get your COTHers feed baby party!!! Sounds like a good one-- not to mention the highest quality broodmare barn help to dream of!

Thanks for the clear-up Bacardi - just wanted to make sure everyone is ok here, no needs for anything but positive on this thread - don't want to jinx what good vibes we have going here.

Poor boy has scours... possibly foal heat from the milk he IS getting, possibly stuff is too rich. Will cut back on the mix as per directions and run to Wallymart and buy up a bunch of desitin!
    www.PVDARideforLife.org Recognized Show/Benefit. Proceeds go to JHU Avon Foundation Breast Center June 22 & 23, 2013

(http://store.pvda.org/) - Great Items with an Equine BC Ribbon Theme!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

best wishes for you- maybe too early for foal heat ?

but scours pretty common- when was mare last dewormed/?

Sending another round of So Cal jingles to you, DH, your mare, and the little guy. I wish I lived close by too; my semester finished last week and I have time on my hands where I could help.

Poor baby! Glad he is making that climb up the getting-on-his-feet hill. Sending loads of jingles and fingers crossed COTHers can lend on hand and give you a rest. Hang in there. What a merry go round you have been on!

SOOOO glad for good news! Scours are no fun and dangerous if not fixed. Try dipping his tail in some mineral oil or bably oil so when he swishes it, he keeps his little bottom oiled. Use gloves to clean him up!! Yes, be sure to deworm the mare with Ivermec -- we do it after foaling to prevent scours from threadworms and it works well. They shed through the milk. Try some probiotics - there is a particular one I can't call the name of that is great for foals. He might need some electrolytes, too. Someone with less memory issues than I can tell you. GOOD LUCK!!!
    PennyG

If he is getting a substantial amount of milk replacer instead of mom's milk, you can cut it half-and-half with goats milk. Seems easier on the tummy.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

You guys are such a TREMENDOUS source of great information! (Gotta love the COTH BB You guys rock, truly! What a wonderful resource this BB is...

oppsie; hang in there, woman! I am DELIGHTED to hear that things appear to be progressing for your dear boy (may I throw in a brief--possibly premature--WOOT?!?) And that you are getting some sleep, Hallelujah.

Let's dedicate this thread to "support only", and allow oppsie to post when and if she can; no pressure--but know we are *all* behind you, and rooting for a successful outcome. We obsessively check this thread with held breath and crossed fingers.

I would LOVE to come have a party with you, ZuZu, and D-Day--must meet this incredible foal! (Ugh, just not right now since I have a sick parent *and* a grievously injured student--both of whom are in the hospital )

Jingling continues. Is he strong enough for some Pepto?
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

3 members found this post helpful.

So good to hear you can actually get away and feel he'll be ok when you get back

Continued jingles from NC!! It is amazing how much these jingles really do help the morale.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

1 members found this post helpful.

Sending you good wishes from Oregon! Here's hoping he continues to improve!!!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

I think I might be reasonably close to you ... I'm near 70 and 32... if you need help or a big glass of wine, let me know!

Default Mid ~ week Jingles and Mingles !!! SO proud of Team D-Day !!!!!

Mid ~ week Jingles & Mingles !!!!!!

SO proud of Team D-Day !!!!!

Time to
    SMILE a bit !!!

Keep on keepin' on 'guys" !!!

Jingles & AO for ALL ~

* oppsie enjoy your students' last days ~ you need them as they need you ~

Dr. D ~ Jingles and of course AO for the medical struggles ~ yours as well as those of the other people near and dearest in your life ~

*** btw I am premium member coth and allowed to post pics``` BUT that said ``` I am the most tech challenged person in the world and notice I have yet to post a picture !

Here's to a great day of REST & recovery for ALL ~~~
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:02 PM.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Wednesday morning jingles; hope you are holding up, Oopsie, and that D-Day is continuing to improve.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Weds morning foal jingles and hoping some COTHers can pitch in with foal care duty.

Sending Wednesday jingles...

You can dilute the milk replacer if it is causing diarrhea. Probiotic paste and ulcergard are also very helpful with foals getting milk replacer.

Quickie....
    Today's bloodwork showed improvement in white cell count to the mid range of normal, all organs functioning normally.

Vet left us with probiotics to mix in milk and yup, we are cutting back on the mix.

D-Day nailed the vet HARD today when she gave him his shots. She said getting kicked sux, but getting kicked that hard by D-Day was WONDERFUL!

We will take him outside today for a little walk as we will have more storms tomorrow. Need to work his legs and tendons. Dh stayed home half day so I could work. Hopefully can do it again Thurs and Fri.

D-Day sends his love to his CoTH friends. So do I. Hitting the pillow for a short nap.
    www.PVDARideforLife.org Recognized Show/Benefit. Proceeds go to JHU Avon Foundation Breast Center June 22 & 23, 2013

(http://store.pvda.org/) - Great Items with an Equine BC Ribbon Theme!!!

6 members found this post helpful.

Another good one !! Jingle tingle! Thank you.

sending more jingles from Canada!!! Sorry vet for the kick, but good news for D-Day!! I am sure she will forgive him...