The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Hope he is fine, my colt last year took his time getting up and close to four hours to nurse. About gave me heart failure. Sending many jingles your way!
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Jingles & Prayers for the baby!!!
    Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
    www.heatherevebristol.com
    www.meliorastables.net

What's your bedding/footing? My colt took a long time before he could get up on his own. He just couldn't figure out his hind legs enough to get them under himself. Once he was up, everything was fine.

Milk and feed him, he's got to get that colostrum into him. Be SURE to get an IgG test done by 12 hours or so, to give you time to get another test done in a few hours if it's low, or get hands on tested colostrum to feed him, as you just don't want to get into having to do plasma if you can help it.

Will he stay up if you help him get up? Make sure you know how to hold/grab his hind end - do NOT grab up under his belly - grab/hold the stifle area to help him get up.

Default Jingles laced with patience ~ some take awhile to 'stand' ~ AO

Jingles laced with patience ~

Some colts take awhile to 'stand'

AO ! Remain calm ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Sending jingles!!

Vet just left. Seems he may have been slightly oxygen deprived. When I got down to the barn he was in the sack, unbroken and was breathing. I ripped it open then started massaging him.

The plan is to mix the colostrum that I collected over the past 2 weeks with milk (I will milk Ava) and feed him every two hours. Get him up at least twice tonight. And yes, I definitely know not to hold under the belly, but around either the stifles or his rump and the chest area.

He looks fully formed, is VERY alert and really does want to get up, but is just slightly weak behind. Vet said to call if he gets depressed or stops trying tonight, but otherwise she anticipates that with the bottle feedings and assisted help, he will get the idea. She says colts are sometimes slower and she would consider him a dummy foal - but on the mild side as all other signs show a strong foal.

Looks like I have a long weekend ahead of me. Again. This IS the LAST time I breed. I am DONE as in D O N E. This isn't for the weak of heart or a poor working stiff ;-)

G'night everyone. I have to mosey down the barn and get ready for a long night.
    www.PVDARideforLife.org Recognized Show/Benefit. Proceeds go to JHU Avon Foundation Breast Center June 22 & 23, 2013

(http://store.pvda.org/) - Great Items with an Equine BC Ribbon Theme!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

BTW - since he was born on D-Day... and I need a "D" name, any ideas?!
    www.PVDARideforLife.org Recognized Show/Benefit. Proceeds go to JHU Avon Foundation Breast Center June 22 & 23, 2013

LOTS of {{{jingles}}} for him (and you)!!

JINGLING BADLY FROM THE WRONG PLACE!

Jingles for all and hope this morning's update is a positive one ...

Good luck!!!! I hope he is able to stand and nurse soon!
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

Congratulations! Sometimes the boys are just a bit "slower". Hopefully because of early veterinary intervention he'll be bounding about in no time! I'll sending jingles!

We too had a foal last night - little bay filly by Sir Gregory o/o my retired TB event mare. Bay three little socks and mama's big blaze. Born at a respectful 10:45pm. Maybe the storms helped them along!
    Nani Lio Farm, LLC
    www.naniliofarm.com

Jingles for your new boy.

Just saw this thread and did a quick read-through. Jingles from VA! Our colt this year took forever to get the hang of nursing- had the urge, just would not latch on. I syringe-fed colostrum to be safe and he figured it out eventually. My vet said the boys are often just slower. Any updates this morning?
    Juliette Beauchamp, LVT
    http://turtlemountainfarm.com/

We looked at the placenta and afterbirth and saw where the cord was twisted and tangled most likely from him being inside and moving around. So we figured he was not only blood deprived but oxygen deprived for a bit.

He has good hind end reflex, but is unable to stand on his own yet. He wiggles in the back end. From last night's exam till this AM's exam, he has really improved, almost getting up on his own (some support from the rear).

The iGG didn't have a strong reading, so the vet is taking his blood back to the clinic to run everything in the office and make sure we are ok. There is still a high chance we will have to do plasma with him.

Otherwise he is alert, strong, drinking, making attempts at getting up and all vitals are normal. There is still a chance tho for a negative outcome, but I am not yet thinking that....

Blood equals oxygen. Jingles.

So SO glad you've already done the IgG and have a plan to get things going even if it's plasma

Major major jingles coming your way!!!

Huge jingles your way!!! It sounds like he is on his way to getting better though

Keep us posted!!
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Congratulations on your colt!

I had a filly that needed a lot of assistance to stand, we had to help her up every 20 minutes or so for nursing. It wasn't until day 2 that she stood up once without assistance. Hopefully he will improve rapidly...wishing you the best for a positive outcome.

Jingling for your little guy!