The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Default Phew ! Thank goodness you still like her ! !

PHEW !!!! Thank goodness you still like her !!!

Wonderful update ! Thanks for sharing !

* don't suppose ?? you'd like to sell her ?

ENJOY ! She made you earn it !

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    Yes, "time warp" indeed!

Ella will be a year old at the end of this month--can you believe it?? How time flies...I feel happy (and blessed) to have her! She has gone through some brief bratty stages (addressed appropriately: CHECK!), and is learning the usual "young horse things" like leading politely outside the stall and investigating the farm. (I have been slowly introducing her to "scary things"; she doesn't like changes of footing colors and textures, but willingly strides right over raised cavaletti in hand (lowest setting with "Xes" on the ends.) She's a conundrum! I haven't been able to do much of this until just recently, since I am only allowed to handle her when she is IN, so my time with her in the daylight hours has been limited--until the days got longer--she isn't handled by the BM other than to lead to and from her pasture so I need to "play catch up" a bit. Now that they are (finally) switched to night turnout, I am able to go out during the day and work with her more outside the stall. She does NOT like water (or the sound of the flyspray bottle, thank you very much, though she will sniff and lick it), and is more freaked out by strange sounds than by strange sights. She is very smart, sensitive and opinionated. Luckily she is also sweet (and beautiful), and is teachable when things are explained to her. I have been taking my time and earning her trust and working patiently to gradually desensitize her, teach her "limits and manners", but positively reinforce any calm, brave, compliant behavior. She LOVES praise, and I do calming touches on her acupressure points to put her in her "Zen place." She is a complicated filly, but definitely worth it; I adore her! I need to get a good conformation pic of her now that she is "almost a yearling", but she would benefit from getting a bath first--a process which will take some time, methinks. (I'm getting help once a week from the BM's farrier, who is a large, calm, patient guy with a *lot* of young horse experience; it definitely also helps that he outweighs me by 100 lbs )

Okay, "thread derailing" is over...Thanks for asking about her!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Great news! Just wanted to say in regards to the camera, this year mine decided it was at war with my wireless internet. My camera and receivers are literally 30ft from each other. Last year they were at least triple that and worked fine, this year with the internet they WILL NOT function unless I unplug the router! Very frustrating, same cameras, same internet, they just are refusing to work together this year for whatever reason. If you have wireless internet, try unplugging it.

Sending jingles for uneventful foaling!
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    PHEW !!!! Thank goodness you still like her !!!

Wonderful update ! Thanks for sharing !

* don't suppose ?? you'd like to sell her ?

ENJOY ! She made you earn it !
    Don't we ALL "earn it" with these beasts??

NOT for sale, I will suffer through this on my own, thank you... Every little moment of success is SO incredibly gratifying, I just hope and pray that my !@#$%&! lower BACK can hang in there for a few more years. I probably won't be the first person to sit on her, but my dearest wish is to sit on her.

oppsie: I have some random candids, no good conformation shots (I need to get my daughter out there on a sunny day, clean her up a bit, and stand her up!--Ella, not my daughter the photographer, LOL), then will "bother and bore" interested parties (as in you and ZuZu) by PM with a link to shots of her Majesty. Literally. She definitely "thinks well of herself"! Oy.

Back to our regularly scheduling programming, here. Still crossing fingers and toes for Ava and "foal-to-be", and hoping for a safe, uneventful foaling with a good outcome.

And BTW oppsie--what about Danica?? Turnabout is fair play, we would like some pics of HER please!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

UGH - she is in s FUGLY stage. Neck looks scrawny, looooong legs. Pretty head. Super shiney! Will have to do pix and share them with you and ZuZu. Don't feel like having folks beat me when I am down ;-)

Funny thing is her Uncle Toby was the UGLIEST yearling you have ever seen. I do mean U G L Y. He turned out stunning, uphill, handsome (HUGE) head and is 17.1. Put together so darn nicely, but has the brain cell of a gnat, I am quite sure he has ADHD and is forever looking for what is out to eat him. He moves so well, if he had Ava's brains, I might have had a nice upper level horse, sigh.
    www.PVDARideforLife.org Recognized Show/Benefit. Proceeds go to JHU Avon Foundation Breast Center June 22 & 23, 2013

(http://store.pvda.org/) - Great Items with an Equine BC Ribbon Theme!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oppsie2 View Post
    UGH - she is in s FUGLY stage. Neck looks scrawny, looooong legs. Pretty head. Super shiney! Will have to do pix and share them with you and ZuZu. Don't feel like having folks beat me when I am down ;-)

Funny thing is her Uncle Toby was the UGLIEST yearling you have ever seen. I do mean U G L Y. He turned out stunning, uphill, handsome (HUGE) head and is 17.1. Put together so darn nicely, but has the brain cell of a gnat, I am quite sure he has ADHD and is forever looking for what is out to eat him. He moves so well, if he had Ava's brains, I might have had a nice upper level horse, sigh.
    They don't call them "yaklings" for nothing! ;-) The neck fairy has temporarily left town (and Ella has a gorgeous neck), but I'm sure s/he will revisit our girls when they are a little older. Uncle Toby--is he a full brother to Ava?

Anyway, please keep us posted!!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Ok, test strip afficianados...... ph looks like it is less than 6.4, calicium looks closer to 200, any thoughts?
    www.PVDARideforLife.org Recognized Show/Benefit. Proceeds go to JHU Avon Foundation Breast Center June 22 & 23, 2013

I'd start sleeping with 1 eye open

1 members found this post helpful.

323 and no foal and no solid sleep....

Default Jingles for some rest & recovery for the owner ~

Jingles for some rest & recovery for this owner !

You will need to be rested to ENJOY this arrival ~

Jingles & AO laced with some sleep and peace and strength ~

All will be fine with time ~

Definitely a case of "Be careful what you wish for". You wanted her to wait a little longer so that is exactly what she's doing. lol. I check everyday for updates holding my breath that all is well.

I must be in HELL....
    Or REALLY stupid

NOW the strips say her ph is at 8.4 or above (super PINK)
    And her calcium level is between 200 & 400.

I did TWO different strips to make sure and that was at the 6:1 ratio
    So I did a strip in the plain milk, same results
    I did a strip in the 3:.5 ratio, same results

Is she going backwards?!?!

Well I milked her from the other teat just to see if there was any difference... Nope, nadda, zilch. Says me banging my head on the concrete.

Are your test strips old? Mine were past their expiration date so I gave them to one of my little lesson girl's 5yo brother. He thought he was a scientist and went around "testing" anything liquid on the farm!

I bought the Aqua Chem test strips at Wal-Mart and the Aqua Chem digital test strips. I have to say the digital strips are pretty fun. You prepare the mixture and dip the strip as normal but instead of comparing it to the chart on the bottle you take a pic with the free iPhone app and it analyzes it for you and gives you the results. I've found that to be quite nice b/c I sometimes think I'm willing the pH square to be more yellow than it actually is!

I have one mare that's at 322 days and testing at 6.4 with calcium at 150. This is normal for her (went at 322 as a maiden after 1 month of "testing"/being treated for placentitis) so she's being watched like a hawk but I'm not actively getting a bleeding ulcer yet. I do seem to have an eye twitch...that came about immediately after starting foal watch... coincidence? I think not!

Best of luck with your girl!
    Nani Lio Farm, LLC
    www.naniliofarm.com

NaniLio - double checked the date on the box before I bought them, but of course that doesn't mean some old strips could have been mixed in the box. I think at this point I am going to stop testing, stop getting up 3-4 times at night and just wait. Who knows maybe this time she will go past the 365 mark and I will be peeled off the sidewalk ;-)

I'd keep testing, personally, with fresh strips. You can get a good brand for about $5 that goes down to 6.2 How long did you let the mix sit on the strip before deciding it's reading?

Default Jingles laced with patience and strength ~ AO !

Jingles laced with patience and strength ~ AO !

Do you need to dilute the milk to do the PH strips, I thought it was just for calcium. I have just been using plain milk but mine has been reading a PH of about 6.2 for 4 days now. Udder looks full to bursting an I am not sure what she is waiting for?? I totally sympathise with you NaniLio, I have had an eye twitch for a few days now due to lack of sleep, lol.
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

You don't need to dilute for the pH test, but you do for the calcium test. But, diluting for pH doesn't hurt *as long as* you're using distilled water

Well mine starting dripping milk a bit later this morning so I "think" we are REALLY close. Though she still looks unconcerned as can be :-) It will be an earlier baby if she has it today as we are only at day 323 but I am glad we made the 320 mark!
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

Ok Cindy - who goes first? Yours or Mine? Wanna make a bet? Something small from my region that I mail to you if I go first, something small from your region if yours goes first! PM me if you wanna do that ;-)