Well while D-Day continues to eat and be very alert, he still isn't standing up without assistance. I know my vet said it could be several weeks, but I don't know how much more laying down his little body can take.
I took him outside again today for is walk. Washed his back legs, behind and sores really well. Put his cream on them and did my best to bandage the one on his hip that will end up scarring. We put him on my Irish Setters dog beds tonight. He looks so cute sleeping on them. Ava is fine without him at this point, so we left her in the paddock where she can see him. When we go down for his 11 pm feeding, if all is well, she will stay out tonight and he can sleep on the dog beds.
I am also concerned about his little front legs being so crooked. They were nice and straight. I will talk to the vet and maybe my farrier to see if we can do something to help stablize his legs.
I am starting to second guess all my choices. The vets assure me he is making great progress. They can't predict the future, but they say if he continues with the progress, that he should be fine for riding. Of course there is no way to know that, we can't tell ever when we breed, can we.
I am just not sure. How do I know I am doing the right thing? I am just so disillusioned right now.
Every single time I read this thread, all I can think about is how much better the world would be if everyone had your kindness, dedication, and big heart. I've been praying and jingling for you and D-day like crazy!
Jingles ~ laced with strength & patience ~ AO
please investigate the plastic inflatable hemorrhoid cushion = a donut that when placed under the colt's hip between him and the dog bed ... Will keep the pressure off the center of the bed sore ..
it's a great & helpful item for large animals with bed sores ..
I understand so well how tiring and discouraging this can be. I'll third or fourth the recommendation for either Rejuvenaide or Buckeye Foal Aide Paste.
I also recommend that you let your vets guide you about when to keep on and when to throw in the towel.
In 2004 I had a little filly who was rejected by her ET surrogate mom. She was attacked viciously, did not get enough colostrum, ended up with a terrible case of clostridia and pneumonia. She spent a week at our vet school clinic and then took months of care and medicating. We had crisis after crisis before she was really better. I wondered whether the little orphan would ever amount to anything and second guessed myself often in the first few months. When she was three months old and over the crises, a local vet in whom I don't have a lot of faith actually asked me why I had bothered to put so much into an "orphan that wasn't ever going to be much of a horse."
I remembered that vet's words the day the mare passed her mare inspection and performance test with flying colors. I remembered them again when she showed her incredible rideability and willingness to work under saddle. And I remembered them yet again when she had her first foals that were beautiful, tall and strong individuals. Some useless orphan!
Keep the faith until the professionals that you trust tell you differently. We'll keep jingling.
First off - I think you're doing all the right things right now. I seriously doubt that if there wasn't a good chance for this to have a good outcome, your vet would sound so encouraging. Usually it's the other way around - vets want to euthanize, but owner wants to wait.
Second, PLEASE don't start administering/feeding ANY of the stuff posters here are recommending without pass them by your vet first. Geesh.
Been following this since the beginning - good for you for giving your little guy a fighting chance.
Unfortunately, they go downhill fast and come back up very slowly but when I work for a vet, he always said small steps in recovery were important and he would try as long as he thought the foal wanted to fight. You will know when its time to stop trying.
Do a search for a thread started by showjumpers66 about a colt named Jr who went through hell and back, including losing his mare, and has turned out to be a really nice horse. This little guy had quite the coth fan club of which I am proud to be a member.
Try some people "Tegaderm" for over the hock sores
Look at Ostomy supplies in the pharmacy, lots of waterproof stuff with padding around it in various sizes.
You're already spending $$$ on vet care and doing everything you can. I'd probably shoot some xrays, then at least you have a possible answer and can make some more informed decisions.
I understand how disappointed you are and how down you can be. Tired does not help, you have to get some rest yourself.
Keep hanging in there. Remember, you are doing all you can and then some. Sometimes it is up to God, Nature, pick your deity, and the only thing you can do is what you're already doing. The rest is up to the little guy. Good luck.
One thing to try is to get him up and walking for as long as you can, then feed him, so that he doesn't think the routine is to wait to be lifted to be fed. kwim? Rather, he gets up, walks, and that is what gets him fed. I went though something similar with a colt some years ago.
My heart is breaking for you and D-day. Doing what, as you said, "in your heart, you know is right", is so difficult. If you have to make that choice, then God Bless you, for you have tried so hard to save him.
Jingles and prayers coming to you from KY. (((Hugs)))