The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

oppsie; I have been away from the computer all day, just wanted to repeat the jingles and the luck wishes and the HANG IN THERE sentiments!

Obviously you are doing everything that *can* be done; the good news is that he appears to be rallying (a good sign!), so this should give you hope.

You are *the* UBER committed foal-care grandma , if anyone can get this foal on his feet and up to speed--it's you. Keep up the good work, but also try to get some rest: D-Day needs you now.

We will ALL be watching this space for updates (and jingling, madly!)
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Yay, plumbing is working!

Jingles for the little dude. Onward and upward!
    (I have to say that this forum regularly reminds me why I have sworn off ever breeding a mare of my own! I had enough heart attacks helping foal out other people's horses!)
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

I have been reading and jingling all along!!
    and will keep doing so!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    I have been reading and jingling all along!!
    and will keep doing so!
    ME, TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Keeping you and D Day in my thoughts and prayers. Sending many jingles your way.

I had a colt born on D Day - I named him Finest Hour.
    Fred: that is an absolutely wonderful (and poignantly appropriate) name!

And *sniffle*

I like the idea of naming him Dedication, but I think D-Day is going to stick--certainly as a barn name...One step at a time, he first needs to rally and get healthy.

FIGHT ON, little D-Day! You can win this battle!

Hoping for an update soon--and continued hopeful news.
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

2 members found this post helpful.

So glad to see such good news! Jingles continue.

Yay! Some good news, and I'm cheering both you and D-Day on. Hang in there.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Oppsie, things do sound like they are improving.

You can make a milker out of a large syringe. Here are instructions.

http://www.breederscorner.com/syringe.shtml

If someone nearby has an EZ Milker and will loan it, that would be even better.

If mama is not dried up, you can milk her every couple of hours to keep her production going. If she is drying up, perhaps your vets will recommend Domperidone to stimulate milk production. Many dummy foals may not be able to nurse for the first week, but later will nurse from the mare, so keeping her in milk is pretty important.

We are all jingling like mad for you and your little one!

A friend of mine had a dysmature foal born a few years ago who spent probably a week at UC Davis, survived, and came home with instruction to feed milk pellets and milk the mare. The foal gradually started nursing again, and the milking of the mare had kept her from drying up. After about three weeks, the foal was strong, nursing the mare, and the pellets were no longer needed.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

It's amazing how their little brains can re-wire. I had a colt who spent a week at Marion Dupont because he could not swallow and milk went into his lungs. He also had seizures where he whinnied when he seized. The vet said that was really unusual but showed where the brain damage was. They tubed him with the mare's milk for a week and gave antibiotics. After that week, you'd never have known he wasn't born perfect.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Default Jingles & AO continue full force !

Jingles & AO continue full force !

Keep on ``` keepin' on ! D -Day team !!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Sunday Update.

First off THANK YOU B]ALL[/B] a Million for cheering us on. I so need all of this.

Dr D & Zu Zu - I luff you both ;-) One day we will meet, have a few drinks, lots of hugs and maybe shed some tears of joy!

Plumbing does work! This kid can pee! Still a bit constipate so another enema is in the works shortly.

IgG came back identical to yesterdays!!!!!! This is a GREAT thing. It means he is holding his own. For now we will not do another transfusion as it doesn't seem to be warrented. We will do another IgG Monday and if he continues to hold we will hold off. While there are huge benefits to giving the plasma, there are also risks.

D-Day (for now), is loving his milk replacer and Ava is letting more milk flow so we are mixing her milk in the replacer. He drinks WHILE standing! He needs a little (an dI mean a LITTLE) help to get up, the brain connection is getting stronger. Once he is up, we do not help him at all to stand or balance or walk. He is getting stronger in the back end, coming off the fetlocks a bit and can walk about slowly but with deliberate steps and pretty accurate. He can even get himself back down. Of course none of it is graceful, he looks/acts more like a few hour old foal than a 3-4 day foal. BUT there are improvments at every feeding.

All of this is great news, but I am staying realistic knowing that until HE is able to get UP ALL by HIMSELF and nurse, that we are still nowhere near out of the woods. Given his improvements, his chances are increasing, but I still have a "cut-off" of when enough is enough. I am not going to fool myself into we have made it, just yet ;-)

The vets say skeletonally (I know, not a real word, too tired to think) that he looks correct. No funky legs, tendons normal, good reflexes, very alert to his surroundings and spunky.

Now If I could get about 10 hours of uninterrupted sleep.... And I have to figure out what to do about my teaching position for the last week of school... THIS part SUCKS big time as I really need the moola (vet bills are mounting) and the kids needs me (I work with special needs kids - from behavioral to cognitive) and I LOVE what I do, but I know D-Day needs me more. DH can work from home a day or so.... we might try to make that work out. Now if only D-Day would get up on his own and nurse I could go to work!!!

Thank you again. I still need to post pix. He is handsome - and I am quite critical... afterall I am the nut job who called the vet after one of my foals was born and told him "holy sh!t, you have got to see this thing. It is the ugliest baby I have ever seen". He nearly fell over as most folks tell him how cute their foals are and he sees none of it ;-) (She did turn out to be a lovely mare, but damn, she was an ugly foal).
    www.PVDARideforLife.org Recognized Show/Benefit. Proceeds go to JHU Avon Foundation Breast Center June 22 & 23, 2013

(http://store.pvda.org/) - Great Items with an Equine BC Ribbon Theme!!!

5 members found this post helpful.

Well done!!! Continued jingles!

YIPEE!!! Love this update!!!

Glad to hear the updates.

I was almost thinking he could be named Detter for Determination!

SO GLAD to read this!
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

Sending Jingles from FL and I hope he pulls through
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Great update! Wish you had folks nearby that could spell you. Jingling like mad...

This is a great update.

Jingles continuing.