The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

MAJOR MAJOR JINGLES from NC.

Maybe what Laurieace said about a fractured pelvis is worth investigating.

Jingles, jingles, jingles
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Oh no, poor guy!!!! I think I'd investigate the pelvis issue too. Gah...

I'm not understanding why plasma was tubed Did you mean colostrum? A transfusion (likely 2-3 at this point) is the way to go at this point - sending everything I can for the little guy!!!!

'm not understanding why plasma was tubed Did you mean colostrum

I'm no expert but it is my understanding that the plasma transfer is done when it has been confirmed that the foal has not received enough colostrum. Do you have a different view? Please give your sources.

I thought plasma was iv and colostrum was tubed.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
    I thought plasma was iv and colostrum was tubed.
    It is. I imagine with the stress of the situation she just mis spoke.

Plasma is IV and colostrum is tubed if the foal won't take it from the mare or a bottle.

OP, have you not seen an improvement in the foal's activity level since the administration of plasma? It really can kick-start them into standing and suckling.

Sending you all my positive vibes...

Yes, exactly - I'm hoping it was just a mental typo

I hope the vet in charge knows it will most likely take at least 2, maybe 3, even possibly 4 plasma transfusions if his count was nil. The body will start using up all those goodies as soon as it gets them, leaving little to nothing to be read.

Jingles

MAD jingles! Hang in there oppsie, hang in there D-Day!

We are all pulling for the little guy...Please update the board when you can, though we realize that you have a tremendous amount on your plate right now.
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

My jingles continue! Hopefully today brings a turnaround.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Still jingling and hoping for a good outcome for you and your colt!

Jingling. Try not to give up! You can lift him up and support him with a long piece of fabric or a long towel by threading it under his lowest leg and around his butt, in front of his hips and lift gently as he tries to get up and walk behind him helping steady him. It helps him learn to balance, and he won't wear himself out trying to get up himself. Being upright and balancing himself will help strengthen him. Deep bedding, though comfy, is really hard for them to negotiate. Definitely have the pelvis checked. We are all pulling for him.

Quote Originally Posted by fairtheewell View Post
    Jingling. Try not to give up! You can lift him up and support him with a long piece of fabric or a long towel by threading it under his lowest leg and around his butt, in front of his hips and lift gently as he tries to get up and walk behind him helping steady him. It helps him learn to balance, and he won't wear himself out trying to get up himself. Being upright and balancing himself will help strengthen him. Deep bedding, though comfy, is really hard for them to negotiate. Definitely have the pelvis checked. We are all pulling for him.
    Yes, I support fairtheewell's quote 100%. Sending many jingles, too.

Saturday jingles and prayers for your little one...

Sending jingles your way!
    Juliette Beauchamp, LVT
    http://turtlemountainfarm.com/

Default Saturday Jingles & AO ~ for ALL ~

Saturday Jingles & AO for ALL !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Sat AM UPdate...

Plasma can be given in the first 24 hours by tubing with very good results AND can be given orally as well.... it is actually tolerated well and is less stressful for the foal as you don't have to anesthetize them to do it.

Colostrum - he did not get enough as the mare leaked for some time before foaling. I did collect about 12oz and froze it but we never tested it so we really aren't sure how "good" it was, but it was better than nothing. We gave him that via bottle feeding.

IgG was done again this AM after doing IV plasma last night (since the oral/tubing) didn't show us any results. He was between 400 & 800 which is pretty good considering all he has been through.

Now my mare had decided she is not going to produce the great amounts of milk as there hasn't been so much in the way to stimulation, so I purchased foal milk replacer by Land o'Lakes. He loves it. Now I have to worry about the scours.

Blood work was also run again this am to make sure we are not seeing any signs of infection and all is looking quite good.

He is trying hard to manage his legs on his own and ALMOST has it. So now feedings are no longer being done with him on his sternum, but he gets a helping hand up and drinks while standing. He is getting the idea of where to put his hind end. During nursing (bottle) he requires little support. Every feeding we see him getting stronger, but we are still some time away from saying he is going to make it.

We will do another IgG tomorrow AM and if it is staying on the high side of 400 we will not do another trf. If it has dropped we will do another (IV).

If we don't see the continued improvements, even slight - we will euthanize. We are NOT at that point yet. I have lots of confidence in my vet practice and know they are working well as a team, and between them have many years of experience. Last year, we got my filly through her dangerous first days (born on day 313) and today she is a lovely yearling (yak). Strong and solid.

On another note, it is my feeling that I will not breed this mare again. I love her dearly, but to have 2 foalings with such problems makes me wonder If it is something in her that causes this. Not worth the chance. Vet says it would be costly testing to see if there were something wrong, since mare is a great riding horse, she has a job, not to mention since she is a homebred, she will stay here for life.

Back down to the barn for another feeding. Hope I answered all questions. Might be another 12 hrs or so before I post again. Continued good thoughts would be mighty appreciated!!!! I am already in love with little "D-day"

Found this thread this morning, keep checking in hoping for better news, jingling all the way. I also agree with fairthewell's post, but have had the impression that you're alone except for vet visits (?) which would make getting a big colt up and steadied extremely difficult. (I know there's no way I could have done it with mine if I hadn't had the help of staff and students at Va. Tech where I took my placentitis case for delivery!) If you CAN get the necessary help and there's no sign of injury to your colt's rear end, I have no doubt that getting this guy on his feet would help his whole system enormously. You must be exhausted. Wish I could offer more than jingles and suggestions. Lifting him for you in my thoughts.