The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Being a WS and a working adult IS possible - aka Heinz goes to Boot Camp!

By chance, I happened to learn yesterday that a certain Bereiter happens to live (quite) near me and was looking for a working student to help start some babies and put rides on some horses already under saddle, starting them over fences and doing some flatwork.

Now, I'm admittedly a little rusty, as I haven't been riding that much lately, and never claimed to be a DQ in the first place, so I went into my "interview" today with no real expectations - I am what I am, and wasn't expecting to be fawned over or celebrated. It was quite the experience; I felt a bit incompetent at times, riding a very nice but strange horse (not something I do often anymore) in a strange place in front of strange people (haven't shown in nearly a year, either), not really knowing what they wanted to see. We had a good bit of technical and theoretical discussion and while I came away sweating like a pig (it's only 80 and humid here today! ), I feel like my brain has been challenged more than anything. He was complimentary in some aspects but also very blunt about what I need to work on and what he was offering to teach me, which was refreshing. He did say that he thought I had the potential to improve quite a bit in a short amount of time, which I took as a compliment.

The best part is, they are willing to accommodate my "real" job, and I'll be working with him after work a few nights a week and likely one full weekend day as well. This is a fantastic opportunity that just sort of fell into my lap - I can't afford regular lessons right now, and I've been feeling a bit lacking in the confidence/effectiveness department, like we're sort of muddling along without really getting very far. It will be hard, and I will be very tired, but I'm so thrilled at the mental stimulation I'm feeling from just one ride! I'm a nerd at heart.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

8 members found this post helpful.

Good!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Thanks, retread. I'm not sure what exactly the point of my post was, other than to say, Yay Me!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

1 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Yay! I do kinda the same thing but with a HJ trainer. She is very blunt, but I actually need that. I don't want to be fawned over when I am well aware how much I suck, lol! Best part is she has lots of sales horses which I get to ride and they range from a 14hh appaloosa pony to a huge WB gelding, and everything in between. It is such an awesome learning experience .
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

1 members found this post helpful.

Congrats! Sounds like a wonderful opportunity and good on you for seizing it!

Cool! That is awesome.

Awesome! Have fun and learn lots!

P.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Thanks, retread. I'm not sure what exactly the point of my post was, other than to say, Yay Me!
    Nothing wrong with that.

Have fun and enjoy everything about this amazing opportunity!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Sounds like a terrific opportunity and I bet you'll be fit and strong and on your top game soon. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Yay you, indeed! Congrats and enjoy!
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

One of my trainers did something similar when she wanted to move from hunters to eventing. She had a FT job and became a WS at night and on weekends at a dressage barn. She got excellent training in dressage. She used her experience not only to bring along her own horse from being backed to Advanced, but she has built up a clientele of people needing young horses started properly. I hope the OP's experience is as successful!
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Congratulations! This is worthy of a yay you post!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Awesome! The more horses you get to sit on, the better rider you become. Sounds like a great opportunity.

Sounds fantastic! Congrats! I'm a little jealous.

That is awesome!!
    Eventing It Up In The Great White North! A girl, a horse, and a helmet cam!!
    http://albertaeventer.blogspot.com/

Sounds like a perfect opportunity - pretty lucky to get to do it in the evenings on the side of your proper job!
    I've been a working student since September (no job though - just becoming poorer and poorer). I'm at my second place now, but the first place I was at was similar to the one you're at: GP dressage rider also breaks in and fixes problem horses. So I got to break in a whole bunch of babies, ride horses with "issues" and get to ride grand prix horses. Which is awesome because that combination does not normally exist. I learned a TON - it was probably the best thing that has ever happened to me horse-wise. I feel so much more well-rounded and confident as a trainer and dressage rider.
    Hopefully your experience is as good as mine was!

Congratulations! Sounds perfect!!
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

That is awesome! Its so nice to hear when trainers are willing to put the time in and be flexible with scheduling.