The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Altering too short field boots

I have a pair of field boots that I adore but are a tad too short. I know I've seen suggestions of having a trim added to to top to add some height.

Has anyone actually had this done and have pictures of their boots after?

Thanks

My friend did this and I absolutely hated the way it looked. She actually ordered totally custom boots and they screwed them up, so she sent them back, and all they did was add more leather to the top, but it broke in differently than the rest of her boot and up close you can see the line where they were put together. Hated it. PM me your e-mail and I can send a photo (not close up, but you can see what I mean about the breaking in).

Jive, I'm in Ontario too and also have been looking into this. I have a gorgeous pair of brown Der Daus that dropped a lot and are a good two inches too short. I took mine to Brubacher's and they were concerned that they might ruin them, so that was a no-go (at least they were honest!). Apparently Richvale Saddlery can do this, but I'm likely going to Nick's in Toronto. All they do is make custom boots, so if it can be done, they're the ones to do it.

Note - I was not going to try to match mine perfectly. I realize there will be a line, so I was going to go with something interesting, like alligator or ostrich patterned leather in a complementary shade of brown.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by SolarFlare View Post
    Note - I was not going to try to match mine perfectly. I realize there will be a line, so I was going to go with something interesting, like alligator or ostrich patterned leather in a complementary shade of brown.
    This I've seen some in photos & a pair IRL, the different leather makes it look like statement rather than an oops.

It costs more to have height added as opposed to just having a printed leather added. If your boots have zippers, they will have to replace the zippers with longer ones.