The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    So now a BDSM practice some how gets tied into gingering , this group never ceases to amaze and disgust me
    My apologies if I offended you. I was trying to explain that from reading about how intense the discomfort would be, it was the closest correlation I could find, since we can't determine how much pain it would cause the horse. One poster tried putting some ginger in her mouth, but I don't think that is an accurate comparison. I opted not to link to the Wiki site, to avoid offending people. It seems even my post might not have been mild enough. I was trying to remain neutral in my response, since I don't have any experience with gingering horses, and have never seen it done. I personally am against causing pain to get a certain "look". It seems like cheating and I don't care for the idea of hurting an animal to get a "look".
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

4 members found this post helpful.

Seems to me that ASBs start with an already surgically altered tail and then harnessed, so it stays upright?
    Just hearsay, I would not know.

My mom was friends with a very prominent and successful Arabian and Saddlebred trainer back in the day....and I hated going through the barn looking at all the saddlebreds with their tails cut, having to live in a circingle and crouper so that the tail always stays up. So yeah, makes sense that people who are ok with doing that would be fine with pasting a burning substance onto their horse's anal skin solely for cosmetic enhancement.

I grew up with Arabs, I competed heavily in the JR/Open classes growing up and aside from the horses (I will always have a soft spot for an Arab) and the many nice people I met I am glad I got tired of that whole world. The constant obsession with making horses into the equine version of Barbie is just not my idea of horsemanship nor is it my idea of a sport.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

4 members found this post helpful.

So now a BDSM practice some how gets tied into gingering , this group never ceases to amaze and disgust me
    OK, so the point of my (pretty overtly) sarcastic post was that
    1. It has already been established that due to anatomical differences, there are really no equivalent substances/techniques for humans that would equate to the sensation felt by equines undergoing a controversial show preparation practice commonly known as "gingering". So that is not the direction that discussion on this practice should go, based on the (previously settled) fact that it is a dead end.
    2. The way that COTH topics tend to go is from the specific to the general. What began as a topic about one particular practice lengthened and spread in breadth of subject material to include frequently and exhaustedly debated practices in various disciplines within the equestrian community. The thread topic was about one practice in particular, and as usual, COTH drags it into a discussion over every negatively perceived training/exhibition preparation practice present in equestrian sport, from deadening tails by severing nerves in quarter horses to ACEing show hunters. Thus, nothing is accomplished regarding the original topic and the saying, "In the horse world, two people have three opinions" is proven once again by way of vigorous, albeit fruitless, discussion. I highlight this point by pushing the discussion way out of bounds, causing readers to re-examine what the thread was originally about.

I achieved my ironic effect by proposing a fabulously exaggerated scenario drawn from the pieces of discussion I wished to satirize. Due to the nature of the posts this far into the discussion, I analyzed the situation and decided that a potentially offensive post offering my thinly veiled convictions would be the best way to convey my feelings on the subject, as it would attract the most attention.

I bid you good day, ma'am.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebuckets View Post
    OK, so the point of my (pretty overtly) sarcastic post was that
    1. It has already been established that due to anatomical differences, there are really no equivalent substances/techniques for humans that would equate to the sensation felt by equines undergoing a controversial show preparation practice commonly known as "gingering". So that is not the direction that discussion on this practice should go, based on the (previously settled) fact that it is a dead end.
    2. The way that COTH topics tend to go is from the specific to the general. What began as a topic about one particular practice lengthened and spread in breadth of subject material to include frequently and exhaustedly debated practices in various disciplines within the equestrian community. The thread topic was about one practice in particular, and as usual, COTH drags it into a discussion over every negatively perceived training/exhibition preparation practice present in equestrian sport, from deadening tails by severing nerves in quarter horses to ACEing show hunters. Thus, nothing is accomplished regarding the original topic and the saying, "In the horse world, two people have three opinions" is proven once again by way of vigorous, albeit fruitless, discussion. I highlight this point by pushing the discussion way out of bounds, causing readers to re-examine what the thread was originally about.

I achieved my ironic effect by proposing a fabulously exaggerated scenario drawn from the pieces of discussion I wished to satirize. Due to the nature of the posts this far into the discussion, I analyzed the situation and decided that a potentially offensive post offering my thinly veiled convictions would be the best way to convey my feelings on the subject, as it would attract the most attention.

I bid you good day, ma'am.
    It wasn't your post that dragged the topic off into the dregs. Have no fear. I actually thought along the same paths. Its funny that we as humans buy all sorts of gadgets and gizmo's paints and Spackle and everything in-between for our own "enhancement" in every meaning of the word known to webster, and that is perfectly A OK Normal but something as potentially benign as ginger salve gets brought up and holy heck the church is on fire.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

And yet here you are.
    They snooze, they munch hay -- oh the abuse! The humanity!!! Won't someone think of the children! - rhymeswithfizz

2 members found this post helpful.

Wow. 4 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    When individuals such as Jenm ask a question such as this and then have no additional posts..I can assure you..she is "checking for negative information" for her mother ship.
    Why must I use the following phrase in response to SO many of your posts?

YOU ARE WRONG!!!

I asked a question based on something I wanted to understand. The first person who responded to my question answered it. My response to the answer was this:

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Ah, that makes sense. Thank you!
    No need for me to continue to stay active on the thread once my question was answered. Sorry to disappoint you regarding yet another ridiculous theory of yours.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

6 members found this post helpful.

I showed AKC many many years. NEVER heard of "it". I had dogs poop in the ring and judge said just wait. Ok, ring keeper cleans it up. BTW any time one of my dogs pooped, it won the breed, or got best of opposite. I had a puppy bitch who pooped in the, and she won big time even over the specials. And she pooped. Boy they specials handlers/owners didn't like a class dog to win over their CH dogs.

If you want the spincter to close you can use immodium and that will close it up and no poop will come out. THAT is what that product does. Maybe they used that, and yeah, it is harmful. Stuff backs up, not good.

Not illegal, bet it is.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    When I used to have show horses, I often wanted to "know" exactly what effect certain elements of showing had on my horses. I once took ginger salve, the exact thing used on horses, and put a dab on my finger and spread it on the inside of my mouth against the gum. I didn't swallow it and rinsed my mouth thoroughly with Listerine later on. The end result - the Listerine had more of an effect than the ginger salve did. I compare the tingling of ginger salve to that of cinnamon gum. While I no longer have a need for ginger salve for horses, I definitely don't see it as having the horrible impact that some insist that it has on horses. Rinsing it out of my mouth wasn't easy because the ginger was in a petroleum basis (Vaseline type), but it had absolutely no ill effects on me and left me laughing at some of the stories surrounding it.

Now had I used a toothbrush and left open scratches in my mouth beforehand, that probably would have had an actual burn - that sort of behavior I do not condone, but in the 45 years of me being heavily ensconced in the Saddlebred world, I can say with absolutely certainty that only the unscrupulous "trainers" and wannabe trainers would resort to that method.
    I feel like the mouth and anus aren't quite the same. It isn't uncommon to have spicy things in our mouth, but, spicy things in our butts no not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Amwrider View Post
    Our poo holes are covered by our gluteus muscles, horses are not. Horse rectums are covered by the tail which can be lifted. When a horse is gingered, they lift their tail so air would reach the rectum. If a person tried it then they would have no way to air unless they pulled a Jim Carey and reached back with their hands to pull their butt cheeks apart.

So yes, they are different.

The way I think of it is to pop an altoid in your mouth, then you suck in air and get a cooling sensation. Ginger makes the rectum do the same with the horse. If I felt that it caused the horse any pain then I would not do it. I have yet to see a horse react from pain from a little ginger.
    I have seen plenty do quite a bit of kicking though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobriska View Post
    What baffles me, and always will, is why, in almost every single discipline, humans feel the need to find ways to "enhance" the horses beauty/movement.
    From cut tails, to weighted shoes, chains, cruel bits, tie downs and chemical soring.
    I don't understand why people can not embrace the natural beauty of whatever breed they choose?
    Personally, I don't see these practices as enhancing the beauty. I think these practices are UGLY!
    And I'm tired of horses suffering for what people think is attractive.
    Sheesh, Arab and saddlebred people use ginger to get horse to lift its tail and QH people cut nerves so horse has quiet tail. It's RIDICULOUS!
    Why the heck does anyone care about how the horse carries its tail?
    Oh, because tail swishing is one way horses express their discomfort.
    Stick a little hot stuff up your own arse and report back!
    LOVE this post.
    And these people claim to love horses.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Why must I use the following phrase in response to SO many of your posts?

YOU ARE WRONG!!!

I asked a question based on something I wanted to understand. The first person who responded to my question answered it. My response to the answer was this:

No need for me to continue to stay active on the thread once my question was answered. Sorry to disappoint you regarding yet another ridiculous theory of yours.
    Quick Beam her up to the HSUS mothership. She needs reprograming

Jenm ALWAYS has an agenda

I don't know why you are upset..everyone has an agenda...

Gosh..more and more appear to be joining the tin foil hatters...others found your post provocative...

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    I showed AKC many many years. NEVER heard of "it". I had dogs poop in the ring and judge said just wait. Ok, ring keeper cleans it up. BTW any time one of my dogs pooped, it won the breed, or got best of opposite. I had a puppy bitch who pooped in the, and she won big time even over the specials. And she pooped. Boy they specials handlers/owners didn't like a class dog to win over their CH dogs.

If you want the spincter to close you can use immodium and that will close it up and no poop will come out. THAT is what that product does. Maybe they used that, and yeah, it is harmful. Stuff backs up, not good.

Not illegal, bet it is.
    I've never heard of ginger being used, but I have heard of "matching" to make them poop. The match is wetted and then inserted. I think it's more for constipated puppies, but I have heard of people using it for ring poopers.
    You are what you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post

Not illegal, bet it is.
    Here are the rules for performance dogs, here agility:

Other faults :The dog biting the judge or the handler, the dog or handler exhibiting unsportsmanlike behavior, the dog eliminating in the ring, the dog leaving the ring and not coming back, the handler carrying toys or food into the ring, the dog running with his collar on (in organizations that prohibit collars being worn during a run), and so on.

Dogs pooping in the ring happens in conformation classes, which are not the same thing as performance classes like agility. I have shown a few dogs that have pooped in the ring and gone on to win, and I have seen even more over the years to the same.

In a performance class, such as agility, the dog should be focused on performing the task. That focus does not include going off task to poop. How long does it take to run an agility course? Less than a minute, give or take a few seconds. A dog stopping to potty is going to add so much time they would never win anyway.

Does anyone remember the Pointer (I think it was a Pointer) bitch that pooped during the televised Westminster Sporting group a few years ago? Huge round of applause.
    Sheilah