The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 75
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jul. 15, 2003
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    4,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Maybe not all ginger is the same, some paste ginger is more concentrated to have more of an effect?
    Just guessing, of course.
    There is a commercially made salve that you can buy from the tack stores and trailers that cater to those breeds. It is petroleum jelly based.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch



  2. #42
    Join Date
    Feb. 25, 2011
    Location
    So California
    Posts
    2,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NBChoice View Post
    I will never understand why some of the people who are on here who are "Saddlebred people" always come to threads like this and pretty much just say negative things the whole time. I know you don't have to love every practice used or agree with everything, but if you love a breed, wouldn't you want to put your best foot forward and attract more people to your breed?
    If I knew absolutely nothing about Quarter horses and there were people on here who loved the breed... but always talked about the awful things their trainers did and didn't ever mention any of the positives, I would absolutely never consider showing Quarter Horses. Just one of my pet peeves I suppose.

    On the topic though, I've never seen a tooth brush used before. Not to say that it hasn't ever happened before, but in my 13 years of riding Saddlebreds I've never seen it done.
    I am an onlooker to the Saddlebred breed and my impression from reading the responses is neutral as to the horse. After all, I'm not hearing about the qualities or characteristics of the breed. I AM hearing a lot of Saddlebred people defending their use of gingering as normal, no big deal. From an outsider's viewpoint, it sounds to me like cheating to create a look in the show ring, and like cruelty which is being justified as "not that painful." In saying you haven't seen someone scrub a horse's rectum with a toothbrush "in 13 years of riding Saddlebreds" it just leaves a big question as to whether you use or have seen the use of ginger, which is widely reported as being painful. I'm guessing yes?

    This is also why onlookers start painting Saddlebred people with the same brush (toothbrush? No pun intended!) as Tennessee Walker people, who describe caustics used in soring as only a little irritating and "not that painful."
    Last edited by PeteyPie; May. 12, 2013 at 06:27 PM. Reason: typo


    5 members found this post helpful.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jul. 15, 2003
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    4,340

    Default

    It is not cheating if it is allowed in that division and it doesn't hurt the horse at all when done properly. If scrubbed with a toothbrush it possibly could it if mixed with cayenne pepper it could, but in 20 something years with the breed I have never seen it done like that. I guess I do not associate with people of that ilk but apparently some people do....or they simply heard about it on the inter webs and claim it to be true.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch


    4 members found this post helpful.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Dec. 12, 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    In saying you haven't seen someone scrub a horse's rectum with a toothbrush "in 13 years of riding Saddlebreds" it just leaves a big question as to whether you use or have seen the use of ginger, which is widely reported as being painful. I'm guessing yes?
    No, I have never done it myself. No, I also have never seen ginger used before.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding



  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec. 11, 2002
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,940

    Default

    What baffles me, and always will, is why, in almost every single discipline, humans feel the need to find ways to "enhance" the horses beauty/movement.
    From cut tails, to weighted shoes, chains, cruel bits, tie downs and chemical soring.
    I don't understand why people can not embrace the natural beauty of whatever breed they choose?
    Personally, I don't see these practices as enhancing the beauty. I think these practices are UGLY!
    And I'm tired of horses suffering for what people think is attractive.
    Sheesh, Arab and saddlebred people use ginger to get horse to lift its tail and QH people cut nerves so horse has quiet tail. It's RIDICULOUS!
    Why the heck does anyone care about how the horse carries its tail?
    Oh, because tail swishing is one way horses express their discomfort.
    Stick a little hot stuff up your own arse and report back!
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.


    20 members found this post helpful.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2006
    Posts
    1,910

    Default

    I am sorry... But... J. Christ. It is a tail, leave it alone. Judges need to be focusing on the performance of the horse, not the freaking tail. They shouldn't need to go through these things "painful" or not for any discipline, let alone a riding one. I am sorry but that is so far off the mark of what horse showing needs to be. Again, it is a performance class. It needs to be judged on a horse's performance solely.


    16 members found this post helpful.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Apr. 3, 2006
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    2,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amwrider View Post
    It is not cheating if it is allowed in that division and it doesn't hurt the horse at all when done properly. If scrubbed with a toothbrush it possibly could it if mixed with cayenne pepper it could, but in 20 something years with the breed I have never seen it done like that. I guess I do not associate with people of that ilk but apparently some people do....or they simply heard about it on the inter webs and claim it to be true.
    I knew it would come, it was just a matter of time before someone had to discredit by making ASSumptions. The old poisoning of the well trick.

    I have CH. Elle on VHS the year she won her first WC (1998)during a training session. They also thought I was non important. I was simply shocked at the amount of contraptions being used all at once no less. I had never before seen a horses nose wrapped in chain and then attached to her neck. You couldn't even see light between her jaw line and the bottom of the neck. She was wearing a running-W pulling a cart that was attached to a drag to drag the arena.

    I am going to make a concerted effort to get it transferred to CD so I can post it for ALL the world to see. If you can't understand what is wrong with some of these training techniques after watching that then nothing will.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jul. 15, 2003
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    4,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    I knew it would come, it was just a matter of time before someone had to discredit by making ASSumptions. The old poisoning of the well trick.
    Huh??? What are you talking about/accusing me of and why are you changing the subject?
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch


    2 members found this post helpful.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amwrider View Post
    Huh??? What are you talking about/accusing me of and why are you changing the subject?
    Some day you too will catch on.
    Until then, keep the questions coming.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jul. 15, 2003
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    4,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magicteetango View Post
    I am sorry... But... J. Christ. It is a tail, leave it alone. Judges need to be focusing on the performance of the horse, not the freaking tail. They shouldn't need to go through these things "painful" or not for any discipline, let alone a riding one. I am sorry but that is so far off the mark of what horse showing needs to be. Again, it is a performance class. It needs to be judged on a horse's performance solely.

    So to follow this logic, dressage horses and hunters shouldn't have to be braided, manes shouldn't be pulled? It is all about the performance, right?
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch


    2 members found this post helpful.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Nov. 12, 2011
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amwrider View Post
    So to follow this logic, dressage horses and hunters shouldn't have to be braided, manes shouldn't be pulled? It is all about the performance, right?
    I'd rather have my hair braided or even pulled out than have ginger up my butt. That's just me though!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio


    7 members found this post helpful.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Jul. 15, 2003
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    4,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donkerbruin View Post
    I'd rather have my hair braided or even pulled out than have ginger up my butt. That's just me though!
    I have hunters and pull manes and braid manes and tails, and I have saddlebreds and have gingered before. I have seen more horses react to mane pulling than to gingering.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch


    3 members found this post helpful.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Apr. 3, 2011
    Posts
    620

    Default

    I feel as though someone needs to take a canoeing trip with their SO and try this out... that way there is a partner there to aid with application and experimentation with "air flow". And then report back. That way this matter could be settled once and for all. To make it extra-realistic? Some "training aids" could be involved, you know, just to see if they really do improve performance.

    Aaannnnddd this post will be removed in the next, oh, hour or so, lol, but I couldn't resist.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2005
    Location
    Some where in the middle of nowhere.
    Posts
    3,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluebuckets View Post
    I feel as though someone needs to take a canoeing trip with their SO and try this out... that way there is a partner there to aid with application and experimentation with "air flow". And then report back. That way this matter could be settled once and for all. To make it extra-realistic? Some "training aids" could be involved, you know, just to see if they really do improve performance.

    Aaannnnddd this post will be removed in the next, oh, hour or so, lol, but I couldn't resist.
    Don't they already make those type of products ..warming , tingling etc. Safe for Canoeing but not for horse bums !
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 2011
    Posts
    2,897

    Default

    There are many evolution theories as to why the Arabian has a flag tail. The most accepted on is psysiological. As it is a breed of the desert, the tail carried high allows the heat to escape from the anus.

    It has been interesting to note that a few lines do not carry a high flag tail and they tend to be from certain lines both in Poland and also GB.

    Gingering was never considered a cruelty, but since the breed standard called for a raised tail, it was many times used to enhance those with natural tail lift or those from lines lacking it.

    There was a stallion named the Cascadian who had such high tail set he was ALWAYS checked for ginger...and never had any.

    Paul Woodward, (deceased) was a cartoonist and he always said the judge should stick his index up the bum of the horse and then stick it in the mouth of the handler to see if there was any effect.

    Gingering in the saddlebred was used for a couple of reasons. In the harness it kept the tail up away from the haimes and worked inconjunction with the cruper (hackney and shetland also used it)

    It is still used on horses in hand (halter). It has been tested by every vet university in the world and other than HSUS sponsored vets..the results are unanimous...no damage

    I have heard of the toothbrush and it was related to Arabs with a couple of trainers during the 80's. There may have been a few asb trainers who tried it but it has a negative effect as it is SORE and the horse tends to duck his rear goosey type...which alters the stride.

    Ginger is not approved for Arabians It is approved for Saddlebreds

    .


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Apr. 3, 2006
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    2,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amwrider View Post
    Huh??? What are you talking about/accusing me of and why are you changing the subject?
    Duh!Your thinly veiled attempt at insulting and discrediting me or anyone else.
    And I quote:
    I guess I do not associate with people of that ilk but apparently some people do....or they simply heard about it on the inter webs and claim it to be true.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 2011
    Posts
    2,897

    Default

    There was a trainer who used to stick a piece of metal into a soft orafice the horse has. He claimed once they got used to it..he had more control.

    I guess other trainers have now learned how barbaric that training aid is....one actually sued AQHA trying to get it eliminated.

    It is called "a bit"

    The reason SS and ASB's are attacked it to spread the love. I notice they are always clumped with TWH's and they are accused of soring even when vets who are considered to be major authorities regarding legs, hooves and lameness have clearly stated soring does not work on troting horses..they refuse to believe it and still spread their urban legends.

    When individuals such as Jenm ask a question such as this and then have no additional posts..I can assure you..she is "checking for negative information" for her mother ship.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    There was a trainer who used to stick a piece of metal into a soft orafice the horse has. He claimed once they got used to it..he had more control.

    I guess other trainers have now learned how barbaric that training aid is....one actually sued AQHA trying to get it eliminated.

    It is called "a bit"

    The reason SS and ASB's are attacked it to spread the love. I notice they are always clumped with TWH's and they are accused of soring even when vets who are considered to be major authorities regarding legs, hooves and lameness have clearly stated soring does not work on troting horses..they refuse to believe it and still spread their urban legends.

    When individuals such as Jenm ask a question such as this and then have no additional posts..I can assure you..she is "checking for negative information" for her mother ship.
    That crossed my mind the minute I read it, although my thought was that certain group was again pushing all the buttons with one more action alert to the troops and suggestions to stir up the pot, important vote coming, need help getting PR out.

    Just looked too much like a set up and the lack of response seemed to confirm it.

    Then, who knows, there are stranger things around than gingered horse's behinds.

    I had heard of that, but in such vague terms, I don't think it sunk that some would really do that.
    Guess someone does?

    I know some that use Vicks on some horse's noses when showing, horses that tend to be distracted by smells, stallions especially.
    We never did that, but have heard that and know it has been used at times.
    I expect Vicks would burn used at the other end.



  19. #59
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluebuckets View Post
    I feel as though someone needs to take a canoeing trip with their SO and try this out... that way there is a partner there to aid with application and experimentation with "air flow". And then report back. That way this matter could be settled once and for all. To make it extra-realistic? Some "training aids" could be involved, you know, just to see if they really do improve performance.

    Aaannnnddd this post will be removed in the next, oh, hour or so, lol, but I couldn't resist.
    You can google "figging". Apparently the ginger just causes mild tingling at first, but then severe discomfort, especially if the muscles are tightened around it. So to the posted that tried just a little in their mouth, you'd need to leave it there for a while, then clamp down on it. Also fresh ginger root, that you peel is most potent.
    I've never personally tried it, and have only eaten a little piece with sushi.



  20. #60
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2005
    Location
    Some where in the middle of nowhere.
    Posts
    3,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    You can google "figging". Apparently the ginger just causes mild tingling at first, but then severe discomfort, especially if the muscles are tightened around it. So to the posted that tried just a little in their mouth, you'd need to leave it there for a while, then clamp down on it. Also fresh ginger root, that you peel is most potent.
    I've never personally tried it, and have only eaten a little piece with sushi.
    So now a BDSM practice some how gets tied into gingering , this group never ceases to amaze and disgust me
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"


    2 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Drag poop and seed, or RESEED (elsewhere) and leave the poop?
    By pwynnnorman in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Dec. 10, 2010, 07:27 PM
  2. Possible to make horse's canter step longer?
    By hunterbunter in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Jun. 5, 2010, 09:32 AM
  3. Horse's poop is darker?
    By Petstorejunkie in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jan. 12, 2010, 08:05 PM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: Apr. 14, 2009, 12:21 PM
  5. Can we get the substance back?
    By scpezold in forum Racing
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Mar. 2, 2009, 07:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •