The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What substance is used in a horse's behind to make it poop?

There is a UPHA show being held at the horsepark where I board this weekend.

I've never seen show horses or gaited horses in action, so I went to watch some classes today. After the last class, they had a BBQ and then put a cute little hackney pony in a small area of the arena with squares marked in the dirt. The object was to "own" the square in which the pony pooped.

After about 10 minutes of trying to keep the pony moving around, there was still no poop. They pulled it out and took it out of the eye sight of the onlookers and a man squeezed something from a tube and then put his finger in the pony's behind.

A few minutes later, the pony pooped. What could they have used?
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Probably a ginger salve. It is often used to keep the tail up in certain divisions at the show. it doesn't hurt the horse but will cause a warming sensation when the tail is lowered so the horse keeps the tail up. Most horses will poop a few minutes after being gingered.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Any time Jenm is asking a question and the sad little icon face...you KNOW she is doing research for her "mother ship"

They could also be using a natural substance called sulphur..nothing illegal with it. Dog show people use it all the time so the dog "doesn't do it" in the ring. Does not hurt the animal in any manner.

Sorry to disappoint you Jenm

9 members found this post helpful.

An enema - like they give foals? Just guessing!
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Amwrider View Post
    Probably a ginger salve. It is often used to keep the tail up in certain divisions at the show. it doesn't hurt the horse but will cause a warming sensation when the tail is lowered so the horse keeps the tail up. Most horses will poop a few minutes after being gingered.
    Ah, that makes sense. Thank you!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

"Gingering" actually does hurt the horse, it burns like crazy and is very illegal in the Arabian circuit at least.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

12 members found this post helpful.

Could it have just been an enema ?
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Wikipedia has a rather negative entry on gingering, which is most likely what they did.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Arabians are supposed to flag their tails naturally and have a high tail naturally, it is part of the breed standard. That is why gingering is illegal in the Arab circuit. Using Ginger would be "cheating" to get the high tail.

I don't believe gingering hurts the horse at all, if it did, I think all of us Saddlebred people would be kicked like crazy and horses would go bucking around the ring. If the horse drops his tail, it warms so they keep the tail up.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

I don't believe gingering hurts the horse at all, if it did, I think all of us Saddlebred people would be kicked like crazy and horses would go bucking around the ring. .
    I don't suppose, ummm, anyone has ever tried it out to see if it dies hurt? I mean, how would we know for sure?

27 members found this post helpful.

LOL, I have seen others suggest this also, but we do not have the same "apparatus" as a horse and we walk around on two feet fully clothed.

If you have ever seen a horse being gingered or actually gingered a horse, you would realize that the horse probably wouldn't even stop eating his hay while the procedure is done. It is a "non-event" for the horse, he would just slowly lift his tail and keep it up.

It does not cause any kind of chemical burn, no redness or irritation.
    Bernard M. Baruch

3 members found this post helpful.

LOL, I have seen others suggest this also, but we do not have the same "apparatus" as a horse and we walk around on two feet fully clothed.

If you have ever seen a horse being gingered or actually gingered a horse, you would realize that the horse probably wouldn't even stop eating his hay while the procedure is done. It is a "non-event" for the horse, he would just slowly lift his tail and keep it up.

It does not cause any kind of chemical burn, no redness or irritation.
    Don't know anything about that, but I wonder, if it is a "non-event" to a horse, why is it illegal, as some said?

I wonder if they just used an enema, like we do in some foals if they don't "produce" their meconium in a sensible time period?

How about Preparation-H?

2 members found this post helpful.

Illegal because considered cheating to get a tail set. Not illegal on saddlebreds except for some pleasure divisions.
    Bernard M. Baruch

3 members found this post helpful.

Just another knuckle dragging approach for fashion. At least the guy didn't use a toothbrush for application.

13 members found this post helpful.

Oh, excuse me Mary while I go get some bandaids for my knuckles. If you don't like it then don't do it. Abrading with a toothbrush is something I have never seen done and I have been taught by some of THE best ASB grooms in the business. Think grooms for Donna M, Ruth G and Lillian S. You can't get any higher in the ASB world than those barns and nobody used a toothbrush. Maybe it is a walking horse thing or an urbarn legend.
    Bernard M. Baruch

5 members found this post helpful.

No it's not 'just' a TWH thang. It's a crappy horsemanship thing and it knows no boundaries despite what only YOU have seen or done.

20 members found this post helpful.

Not only that but part of the American Saddlebred standard is to "carry a high tail" naturally. So there goes your other theory.

5 members found this post helpful.

If you start googling, the use of toothbrushes shows up on a couple of sites, of course it's all anecdotal so who knows.

Anyway if you look up the Scoville Scale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale
    gingerol is pretty low, lower than for the active ingredient in black pepper. It is still something that is done for a "look", and my personal opinion is maybe we need to start getting away from stuff like this, in ALL the breeds and disciplines.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

10 members found this post helpful.

Oh, excuse me Mary while I go get some bandaids for my knuckles. If you don't like it then don't do it. Abrading with a toothbrush is something I have never seen done and I have been taught by some of THE best ASB grooms in the business. Think grooms for Donna M, Ruth G and Lillian S. You can't get any higher in the ASB world than those barns and nobody used a toothbrush. Maybe it is a walking horse thing or an urbarn legend.
    Seems to me that ASBs start with an already surgically altered tail and then harnessed, so it stays upright?
    Just hearsay, I would not know.

Whoever talked about dogs, it is common showing dogs to potty them before a class.
    If you have a dog you know gets nervous and prone to evacuate in the ring, you have to potty it well.
    If it doesn't "go", I have seen handlers use just a little piece of grass, stick it in there and the dog then strains and you get your results that way.
    Some use a paper match and that is where some got the idea it is the sulphur end that helps, but either end will do it, it is the manipulation of the area that really helps bring results.

I wonder, could they have used that, just put something harmless like some small hay stems in there to make it go?

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    If you start googling, the use of toothbrushes shows up on a couple of sites, of course it's all anecdotal so who knows.

Anyway if you look up the Scoville Scale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale
    gingerol is pretty low, lower than for the active ingredient in black pepper. It is still something that is done for a "look", and my personal opinion is maybe we need to start getting away from stuff like this, in ALL the breeds and disciplines.
    I agree. I'm tired of it all. We are so far removed from what "showing your stock" really means, i.e. "the best representative". With all the gadgets, tricks, etc. it totally blurs the line between born and made. Smoke and mirrors. Then add in what those tricks lend to the breeding shed. It does the horses no favors.

17 members found this post helpful.