The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ear bonnets in dressage?

Are ear bonnets (just cotton no sound proofing) allowed in eventing dressage tests? I have seen people doing dressage in ear bonnets but I'm not sure of the rules since I haven't really evented in years. One horse is going BN and the other is going in the 18' intro so we aren't doing anything terribly exciting. TIA

I personally think they look strange in Dressage, HAve never used them,
    But I am not sure if they are legal, Sure were several at Rolex, so I am assuming they are.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Usually it is at the discretion of the ground jury. Recently however, it has been seen more and more. I know at SP, they let riders use them, but they had to be checked at bit check after the test to make sure there were no ear plugs under them.

I like the way they look when they are done tastefully. I have a nice collection that I will be using this show season.

They are allowed in FEI only. They are not allowed in USEA. So unless you're doing a CCI or CIC, they are not allowed.

What a fad. They are everywhere.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    They are allowed in FEI only. They are not allowed in USEA. So unless you're doing a CCI or CIC, they are not allowed.
    When I was at Loudoun Hunt HT, I intended on wearing an ear bonnet b/c my horse had an ugly tick bite on his forelock. I entered warm up, and no one had fly bonnets, so I asked the bit check to check with the judge. I ended up taking it off because the answer didn't come back until about two minutes before I went into the ring, but I was told they were permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post

What a fad. They are everywhere.
    The 2013 rules for eventing seem to allow them "under exceptional circumstances" at the discretion of the ground jury under section D of the EV115

d. A breast plate may be used. For drawings of permitted bits and nosebands see Appendix 4. Permitted bits for a particular test are specified on each test. e. Martingales, bit guards, any kind of gadgets (such as bearing, side, running or balancing reins, etc.), reins with any loops or hand attachments, any kind of boots or leg bandages and any form of blinkers, including earmuffs, earplugs, hoods, fly shields, nose covers and seat covers are, under penalty of elimination, strictly forbidden. However, under exceptional circumstances, fly shields may be permitted by the Ground Jury.

I haven't seen many at HTs...but they were certainly popular in the dressage at Jersey Fresh this weekend!
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

I haven't warmed up to the idea yet.
    I'm pretty classic.
    Shoot, the fact that I'll need a breast plate on my new horse for dressage irks me a bit. lol.

But it seems that they are permitted. It was announced last weekend at GW and there was no specification between USEA vs FEI.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

1 members found this post helpful.

Aha. So they're allowed only under exceptional circumstances and I assume it would have to be announced so all competitors would have the same option. I've yet to see them at a USEA event.

I think I'll stick to not using them unless I hear an announcement otherwise at USEA events.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Comedy View Post
    I think I'll stick to not using them unless I hear an announcement otherwise at USEA events.
    I actually have second hand experience with this. Friend was scribing and a competitor rode with an ear bonnet without permission. There were consequences...

Have seen them frequently this year.

I've seen them a lot at the FEI level and, of course, for the jumping phases at horse trials.

IMO, people use them for two things:

a) Blocking out (some) sound, and/or
    b) Another place to put a sponsor logo

(Notice that "protection from flies" isn't on the list.)
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

5 members found this post helpful.

^^^ add looking cool... :-)

(I will probably give in and get one eventually for Donovan. I can't cover Mick's little pony ears)

c) they come in pretty colours to match your other prettily coloured things

Quote Originally Posted by FrittSkritt View Post
    IMO, people use them for two things:

a) Blocking out (some) sound, and/or
    b) Another place to put a sponsor logo

(Notice that "protection from flies" isn't on the list.)
    Tell that to the horse I rode last year. He was VERY offended by bugs, real or imagined, anywhere near his ears. If we could canter non-stop he was fine, but anything slower and he would fling and shake his head if he wasn't wearing his hat outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

when the gnats are bad, ear bonnets are a necessary piece of equipment if you want a horse that does more than shake its head constantly. At a local show, they have been allowed because of gnats.

Even in my little backyard where no one is looking I use them every single day of the summer....

4 members found this post helpful.

I think if its buggy I could see using one. However, any other time it just indicates to me a horse that can't concentrate. I hate unnecessary equipment.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

It is amazing that horses ever survived/evolved without people!! How do horses survive in the wild? Are there self-service ear net depots?

Maybe, just maybe, all of this excessive grooming, primping, preening done in the name of "looking correct/nice" for competition removes a horse's natural defense to flies, gnats, etc. You might not actually need an ear bonnet.

3 members found this post helpful.

My horse is sensitive to flies, too, but I just use the roll-on stick on his fuzzy, unclipped ears. Problem solved.
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

3 members found this post helpful.