The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to price off brand saddle...

If you were selling a high quality saddle of a somewhat uncommon brand, how much would you discount it due to lack of name recognition? Let's just say that if said saddle was a CWD or Antares, it would be worth $2,200-$2,500, based upon quality and condition. As a buyer, how much does brand factor into price?

Have you tried Googling the name, to see what other's are selling for? You can usually find a few examples of even the little known brands out there. Of course, now I am wondering what brand you are talking about....

As suggested by previous poster, I use Google, eBay, etc. to determine what a saddle is 'worth.' (Of course - it's only worth what a buyer will pay!)

How off? Off like "everyone recognizes this brand but thinks of them as dressage saddles more typically" or "no one in this country has ever heard of this brand period" off? For the first, I'd price what you think is fair and not really discount for the offness, but I'd try to advertise it in places where people who do CT/eventing look (assuming they are more familiar with the brand). If it's something no one's ever heard of... I guess I'd start equivalent to one step down in quality but name recognizable saddle and ask just a bit more than that. Now I am curious, what brand? Maybe it's not as "off" as you think?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

It's a Calibre. I have googled and see ads in that price range... But they also seem to sit around for a while, so I was thinking that may be aiming high for the brand.

Off enough. I'd price it lower than the competitor brands.
    ~Veronica

Yes, also, check the completed listings on ebay for things that have actually sold (not just expired) to see what price a buyer actually paid for someting. As Jo says, it only really matters what someone is willing to pay, not what is asked.

I try to find something similar that actually sold (hopefully several items) and then price just a bit higher than that. If you price too high, buyers will ignore the listing or not bother to take it on trial from a consignment shop. If you price too low, you are leaving money on the table or people will think there is something wrong with it. Price just a little bit more than you have reason to believe someone would pay, then they can negotiate you down a bit and feel like they got a bargain .

I know there is a Calibre on ebay that has continually been listed recently at $1000 buy it now. I wasn't familiar with the brand and did google it when I saw the saddle and thought it was nice looking. I ultimately decided not to try for it because I'm not familiar with how the flaps are and with the Antares and stuff I'm familiar with what I can fit in. I read very good reviews though about the brand. I bought an Equipe years ago before I really knew much about the high end brands. Got it for a good price brand new. Filly outgrew it and it wasn't working for my leg. Was able to list it for I think 2495 or so with a consignment place. It hardly looked used. It took longer to sell it (probably 3-4mo)as most people want the recognizable names but in the end it sold for very close to asking price. It was very high quality and I would easily buy the brand again.

vxf111, thanks for the idea. I have one for sale now that's more typically a dressage brand - I didn't think to list it on eventing sites! Thanks!

No problem. I was imagining this was a Shleese or something like that-- a brand that's less common for H/J but quite common in dressage. I think there's a solid market for those if you know where to list them.
    ~Veronica

It's spelled Schleese.

Mybad!
    ~Veronica