The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default When Dogs steal?

How do you address this? Perhaps its a Puppy thing? My 6 Mo old Min Pin has a cache under the bed. She will give back items only if caught. Otherwise someone needs to check under the bed or perhaps another place if the mood strikes her.

What works in this situation?
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

I'd love to help you but we live with two Portuguese Water dogs who are smarter than we are. The male is smarter than the female but she makes up for it in sneakiness.

Thankfully, we have finally convinced them to share the couch with us after much convincing. However, we must guard our food closely and all trash cans live under heavy guard.

As far as stealing things, we are lucky I guess in that they are not hoarders and are only interested in stealing edibles. Or Shred-ables. Anything with a high theft value - chapstick, socks, toilet paper and tissues must remain at shoulder height.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, I'm lucky with the MP being short, I don't have to put the desireable items up high! She is also a Shredder, so I have to watch dropping anything desireable to shred.

Seriously, no one else's Dogs steal?:
    Karen
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

My parents have a Great Pyrenees. He goes around stealing anything not battened down and he brings it home to my folks. Outdoor patio furniture cushions, picked up a cell phone once, shoes - you name it. Quite embarrassing for my parents as they have to return everything.

teach him to fetch it/them/back up. Let him take them, but teach him to bring it/them back. Win win for everyone. Except if you do that, he will probably steal items and bring them to you immediately.

It may be something he grows out of when he matures, but at least you know where missing items will end up!

This reminds me of a great story about a thieving cat here in California who would steal things from the neighbors and bring them home. So funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qSLvkskXFA

Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

It may be something he grows out of when he matures, but at least you know where missing items will end up!

Quote Originally Posted by lightlee View Post
    My parents have a Great Pyrenees. He goes around stealing anything not battened down and he brings it home to my folks. Outdoor patio furniture cushions, picked up a cell phone once, shoes - you name it. Quite embarrassing for my parents as they have to return everything.

This reminds me of a great story about a thieving cat here in California who would steal things from the neighbors and bring them home. So funny!

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/43463135/n.../#.UY82UVdnCSo

Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

There was a great story here of a person who had a thieving dog. She would hang the items on the fence by the road so her neighbors could claim their stuff..

Who lets their dog roam around stealing stuff? How about keeping the dog at home?

3 members found this post helpful.

They live out in the country - the building covenants prohibit fences and he does not respect their electric fence. Hopefully he will grow out of this as he matures. Very annoying habit.

Getting hit by a car is more likely than growing out of it. That is insanely irresponsible in my opinion.

2 members found this post helpful.

Laurierace - I think you are jumping to conclusions and your statement is not appropriate. You do not know all of the facts of this situation. Also this thread pertains to Why Dogs Steal. Appreciate it if you would please stay on topic.

BS. A dog should never be allowed to roam. If this were a thread about a loose dog harassing horses or other livestock people would be screaming for shoot, shovel and shut up. Sitting home and hoping the dog comes back with or without something that doesn't belong to him is the epitome of poor dog ownership. I did not click on the link to the story because I do not find the subject matter to be cute. I feel for the poor driver who has to live with the vision of killing the dog with her car or the livestock owner who has to pick up the pieces of her dead cat or chicken or whatever. It is NOT CUTE!

my Dad had a lab who used to swim across the lake and bring the neighbor's newspapers to him...

a different time
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Hopefully he will grow out of this as he matures. Very annoying habit.
    dogs don't "Grow out" of bad behavior. And this isn't "annoying", it's utter irresponsibility on the part of the owners. So they first fail to train the dog to the invisible fence, then they fail to contain the dog. It's not going to mature, it's going to die. Someone's going to run it over or shoot it.

dogs steal because they don't really understand the concept of "ownership", and they are natural scavengers. Left on their own they'd wander around looking for food and fun items and collect them. They also have a natural instinct of "stashing things for later use"- burying bones for later eating is a very common behavior. At least the OP's dog has one easily accessible stash. Many people's dogs stash things at random- you'll find chewies and toys "buried" in the couch or tucked into your shoe or pushed down into the laundry hamper, etc.

Wendy and Laurierace - You guys are both over the top. You have not idea of the circumstances I seriously doubt that you would be able to contain the dog either. The annoying habit is the dog steals stuff. I agree it is dangerous that the dog is not contained and will not stay contained behind the fence. WE ALL ALL CONCERNED. But with out personally knowing me and me familiar with the situation you have no rights to post the comments you did. The background of the dog is that the he is a rescue - he was found wandering aside a highway. He also jumps and digs. We are well versed in dog ownership - I have shown and trained dogs myself - this dog is proving to be quite a challenge. Do not be so haughty as to think that you would be able to successfully remedy the situation either.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    teach him to fetch it/them/back up. Let him take them, but teach him to bring it/them back. Win win for everyone. Except if you do that, he will probably steal items and bring them to you immediately.
    This. It works like a charm. Take a sock and throw it. when he grabs it, go crazy with the "Whachoo got there? Good boy!"s - and tap your shin-make no moves towards him, but if he dances a few feet away and comes no further, back up or quickly move away, continuing with happy encouraging words. DONT grab at the sock--see if you can pet him a bunch before even going for the sock. He'll be amazed that he's not getting "stolen from" immediately (I love their expressions as they first encounter this ). When he seems pretty happy to dance over and get some lovin while holding his prize, take the object from him and praise heavily, then THROW IT RIGHT AWAY for him-a few feet, and repeat. ALWAYS pet and praise the first time he brings something to you and let him revel in it and dance away, then take it the next time you call him over.

I usually do at least 3 retrieves before taking the prize away for good. I've trained and rehabbed countless retrievers and other breeds with this method.

That said, the hidden stash thing is really kinda cute When my dear departed field Lab Blaze was just a pup, she would take my shoes, one at a time, into the living room and place them in a circle around her. I'd walk in to find her on her belly in the middle of her shoe circle, happily poking and rearranging them

Wendy and Laurierace - You guys are both over the top. You have not idea of the circumstances I seriously doubt that you would be able to contain the dog either. The annoying habit is the dog steals stuff. I agree it is dangerous that the dog is not contained and will not stay contained behind the fence. WE ALL ALL CONCERNED. But with out personally knowing me and me familiar with the situation you have no rights to post the comments you did. The background of the dog is that the he is a rescue - he was found wandering aside a highway. He also jumps and digs. We are well versed in dog ownership - I have shown and trained dogs myself - this dog is proving to be quite a challenge. Do not be so haughty as to think that you would be able to successfully remedy the situation either.
    Would you like me to mail you a leash free of charge?

4 members found this post helpful.

I agree.
    Just because someone lives in the country, does not mean it's OK to let dogs roam off your property. And if the dog digs or escapes, you make it an escape proof run, trolley with non chewable material, or take him out only on a leash. There is no excuse for being irresponsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    BS. A dog should never be allowed to roam. If this were a thread about a loose dog harassing horses or other livestock people would be screaming for shoot, shovel and shut up. Sitting home and hoping the dog comes back with or without something that doesn't belong to him is the epitome of poor dog ownership. I did not click on the link to the story because I do not find the subject matter to be cute. I feel for the poor driver who has to live with the vision of killing the dog with her car or the livestock owner who has to pick up the pieces of her dead cat or chicken or whatever. It is NOT CUTE!

The background of the dog is that the he is a rescue - he was found wandering aside a highway.
    Somehow I get the feeling that history is going to repeat itself.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland