The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Appropriate stock tie for shadbelly

I would like to buy the person who shows my horse in hunter derbies a nice stock tie. Would one like this be suitable? (I would have the contrasting piping match the lining on her shadbelly.)

http://dameronenterprises.weebly.com/stock-ties.html

TIA!
    Last edited by lintesia; May. 11, 2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Clarification

A plain white one or a pattern on pattern is generally the most acceptable for the hunters

I agree, plain crisp white or very subtle white on white pattern. I prefer the look of real stock ties, not the pre-tied ones. You may want to consult with the person you are buying the gift for.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeHoney View Post
    I agree, plain crisp white or very subtle white on white pattern. I prefer the look of real stock ties, not the pre-tied ones. You may want to consult with the person you are buying the gift for.
    At the last derby, she had to abandon even wearing her stock tie because she couldn't tie it and there was no-one around who knew how...

Whenever I use a shad/stock tie (not pre tied) It comes out a lot fluffier and stuck out more.

It takes about 15 seconds to learn how to tie a stock tie. Right over left, left over right. Pin in place! So don't let that dissuade you from buying her a real stock tie, because real stock ties look so much better than pre-tied. (I would think that many people at a horse show would know how to tie a stock, but just in case you are showing in a remote area, surely there is a youtube video on it.)

I have to say, the stock ties listed on the website you linked really look more appropriate for dressage rather than the hunters. In the hunters you want simple, crisp, neat, and classy. Those are a little snazzy for the hunter ring IMO.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have to say, the stock ties listed on the website you linked really look more appropriate for dressage rather than the hunters. In the hunters you want simple, crisp, neat, and classy. Those are a little snazzy for the hunter ring IMO.
    This is exactly what I was worried about! Thank you!

I am going to go around to shows and give stock tie tying lessons! some are really very badly done and like someone said, not hard-square knot, then right over left and pin. You can use saftey pins to hold down the ends under your coat if they pop out.

It takes about 15 seconds to learn how to tie a stock tie. Right over left, left over right. Pin in place! So don't let that dissuade you from buying her a real stock tie, because real stock ties look so much better than pre-tied. (I would think that many people at a horse show would know how to tie a stock, but just in case you are showing in a remote area, surely there is a youtube video on it.)
    This!!!!! I would suggest buying her a lovely stock pin for a real tie.

Collecting antique stock pins is a bit of a hobby of mine.

Regardless, the gesture is very kind of you.

1 members found this post helpful.

Some of the stock ties come w/ directions on how to tie Or find the directions online and create your own snazzy looking directions and include them with the stock tie!