The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

try pentosan- I recently switched from adequan to pentosan with my old dog, and after two shots it was like he was a new dog. Adequan was obviously helpful for this dog, but pentosan was like a miracle cure.

Avoid the "senior" foods- most of these are incorrectly formulated. Based on studies done in rats, they reduce the protein in the senior foods. However, studies done with actual dogs find that senior dogs live longer and healthier if fed very high protein diets. Protein and fat should be high, carbs very low. Go raw if possible. No inflammatory grains.

Add fish oil- my 70 pound dog gets 8 fish oil caps per meal, and this has been clinically proven to reduce arthritis symptoms.

I've always been a high protein/complex carb feeder, but I decided to go with the senior because while Yoshi has always been lean, he needs to be skinny at this point. As a senior feed goes this one isn't bad. And I will break an egg on it as needed.

Lamb, lamb meal, oatmeal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, millet, white rice, egg product, potatoes, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), tomato pomace, flaxseed, ocean fish meal, natural flavor, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, taurine, dried kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberries, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, chondroitin sulfate, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

I used to use fish body oil before and just never got another giant bottle of capsules. I'll go back to that too. Thanks for the reminder.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Good luck The Lab I mentioned has really responded to a permanent doubling(loading dose) of a Petco brand joint supp. , which frankly pleasantly surprised me. He is back to jumping into my Suburban, albeit with a hand on the tush, since he had gastric issues on carprofen, which is generic Rimadyl. Definitely go back to the fish oil.

Wow, a Ridgeback and a Wolfhound at 13? I am impressed by everyone's dog-keeping skills!

Would Previcox help? My BO has her old dog on it & it has done wonders.

Yup, he's 13 and I know I'm very very lucky -he's my 3rd ridgeback. We tried Previcoxx early and it nearly gave him an ulcer. He had his first Tramadol last night and this morning he is lying in a normal doggy lay - you know, not Sphinx with his back legs straight, but actually on one hip and curled up. Maybe it's the Tramadol?

Paula

Well it's been about 10 days since we started Tramadol and Dasuquin (with MSM) and I've got my old dog back! This morning he demanded his walk! I didn't realize how much life pain was sucking out of him. He jumped into the car (I caught his butt -he may be feeling no pain, but he's still weak in the back end) and we went for our mile walk. He gave me a couple of steps of trot, but that's alot for a dog losing control of his back end (stenosis of the spine).

I couldn't be happier!
    Paula

1 members found this post helpful.

I gave my good old gal a prilosec with each meal to help with stomach issues from the Tramadol. and fish oil. and glucosamine/chrondroitin.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

What stomach issues did you see?

Paula

the prilosec was protective as evidently Rimadyl can cause stomach problems. she had stomach issues anyway which resolved with the prilosec and a course of Flagil. we kept her on the Prilosec.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton